Wrestling Forum banner

141 - 160 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
I don't buy that they are in a fight, it looks like choreographed gymnastics. I can tell they are working together, which is the exact opposite of how it's supposed to be.

Red rep all you want, it's my opinion and it's not gonna change. This era of gymnastics and no selling is fucking awful.
As opposed to what?

Sometimes what you think you remember about the old days isnt what you thought it was, and I'd rather the war they put on than Hogan and warrior gassing out in five minutes.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
As opposed to what?

Sometimes what you think you remember about the old days isnt what you thought it was, and I'd rather the war they put on than Hogan and warrior gassing out in five minutes.
It's supposed to look like two guys having a fight, not an elaborate collaborative performance. I'm sorry but it sucked. Kudos to both guys for being fantastic athletes, I don't have a problem with either, but their style of "big match" fucking sucks. Selling is one of the most important parts of a wrestling match and these two motherfuckers were acting like they were having a marvel movie fight scene.

·
Forever Blissful
1,669 Posts
It's supposed to look like two guys having a fight, not an elaborate collaborative performance. I'm sorry but it sucked. Kudos to both guys for being fantastic athletes, I don't have a problem with either, but their style of "big match" fucking sucks. Selling is one of the most important parts of a wrestling match and these two motherfuckers were acting like they were having a marvel movie fight scene.
I'll take their kind of match over a main roster main event any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Me coming out to defend Gargano as I'm huge Gargano mark.

:risingangle

Reads he kicked out of a Canadian destroyer off a ladder.

:loweringangle
People keep saying it was a Canadian destroyer off the ladder but it wasnt at all. It was a normal, everyday Canadian destroyer. Cole just jumped off a ladder and landed on his feet to start it, which really.doesnt add much to the impact of the actual move.

I will say that I wasnt a fan of Gargano doing one off the top rope though, that is an incredibly dangerous move to try and wasnt really worth doing and I dont love a guy kicking out of that move.

But for people to say the matches wasnt great is ridiculous. It wasnt a 5 star classic but it was incredibly entertaining. As a matter of fact, Gargano just finished the greatest run of matches in WWE history. Between DIY, and his matches with Almas, Ciampa, cole and others, it is insane what he has pulled off. People just want to hate on shit to try and sound smart, it is like some badge of honor for people.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
It shows the trust both men have in each other. I applaud that.

Would you still applaud them if Adam Cole left the match crippled for life? Because they were less than an inch from that happening...

The main point is that it'd only be a believable move if Adam Cole was an endoskeleton. He's not. If he's kicking out of that then how weak-as-fuck does that make every other move seem in comparison?

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
So it was spot-heavy. Sorry to say but there are certain matches that are just carnage for the sake of carnage.

Now, could it have been paced better? Maybe. However, there have been far worse matches than this one and it shouldn't be an indictment of an entire wrestling style for you. Tastes can vary. No one way is "Wrong".

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
The matches they have are entertaining but all the criticism in here is absolutely warranted. It's like a Fast and Furious movie. It's fun but stupid and you'll never watch it again.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,120 Posts
I never found realism to be a real good critique. Technically the entire concept surrounding an IRISH WHIP is stupid, yet every match seems to have one. At that point just watch MMA.

My focus was more on the lack of selling uber mega super finishers and the billion near falls. It was MAX on the overzealous meter.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,373 Posts
The matches they have are entertaining but all the criticism in here is absolutely warranted. It's like a Fast and Furious movie. It's fun but stupid and you'll never watch it again.
Literally how I viewed it tbh. I enjoyed it more then their last 2 matches due to how absurd it was.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
That isn't really a negative thing though.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Technically the entire concept surrounding an IRISH WHIP is stupid
It's not as stupid as one may think. It's like initiating a gamble where both guys can jockey for position. The guy being thrown is PURPOSELY running in hopes of gaining some sort of leverage from the momentum. It's probably better for your balance to keep running when thrown then to drop to the ground and allow your opponent an advantage.

Landing on your head from a top-rope Canadian Destroyer, surviving and kicking out at 2 on the other hand...

·
Registered
251 Posts
How many actually watched the match? I just watched and I have to say the first two falls were very well done.

Lot of good moments and it made sense. Johnny got kicked in the balls and that’s why he hit Cole with the chair and got DQd. He then controlled the second fall until Adam Cole tapped out.

Can’t disagree that things get out of hand in the third fall. Still very entertaining match and I would definitely give it a watch if by haven’t seen it yet. This is probably Johnnys last takeover main event so you all can celebrate now.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,373 Posts
Btw there was no Candian destoryer off a ladder. He jumped off the ladder and hit a normal one. It was a dumb as fuck spot but he did not kick out of a Candian destoryer off a ladder.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,247 Posts
I'm rewatching this before SummerSlam, and at the 39 minutes going into 40 mark, at like, 39:50, Johnny Gargano sprays Adam Cole square in the face with a fire extinguisher and then does a tornado DDT to Cole right onto steel chairs...AND THIS ISN'T THE CONCLUSION TO THE MATCH.
Cole KICKS OUT AT 2, BAY BAY.
There's still another 10 MINUTES left in this match.
This match is such bullshit on the rewatch. God almighty.

141 - 160 of 205 Posts