Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
He's not going to win. And honestly, I don't think it's a bad look because he is one of the best wrestlers they have and he's the one who started the whole thing. As a matter of fact I think he should be the champion. It'd be different if he sucked but he's really good so I don't have a problem with it.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Lol at people trying to bash Cody. Doing Jericho/Cody is a big main event for the company. It makes perfect sense to do that feud. When guys like Moxley/Omega are feuding with each other. Especially since Cody is going to job to Jericho and make his title run look more dominant. So when say Moxley or Omega beat Jericho it's more impressive win.

Cody Jarrett has the best singles record in the company because he's booking himself to win the most. He's the 2019 version of Triple HGH. It doesn't matter if he wins or loses in November, he shouldn't be in the match period. It's selfish and it's a pathetic display of power tripping. They should have used these last few shows like All In and DON to build some new stars and have them compete against Jericho but no, Cody Jarrett's got the power and he's gotta fucking give himself that main event $$$.

Nice try trolling AEW fans lol.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
They should have Jericho destroy him to make Jericho strong in the process, waaaay too early for Cody Rhodes to be near a world title.

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,034 Posts
I'll also ask you this. Is Cody (or anyone from the Elite, for that matter) allowed to challenge and/or win a title in AEW?
Apparently Cody is the only one who is not allowed to do it man. Seeing some Omega fans (not all of them, there are way more logical and objective fans of his here) agreeing with that stupid notion while ignoring the fact that Omega and Cody are on the same level is marvelous. They either agree with the idea that Omega never touches the world title or just hypocritical waste.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Cody needs to lose this for his own sake. Him winning the title this soon will only paint him as an egomaniac who's only helped create a new promotion to push himself and his buddies that people will soon turn against. Could develop into a solid heel act for a bit, but it'll do way more damage than good in the long run. Hell, I'd argue AEW's reputation itself would be damaged if Cody won the belt this soon.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,373 Posts
^ To tag you need to add a ; after

I know they did this because they think it will help selling tickets to the event since they started selling them today, but I wish they kinda promote it as "Cody will challenge the AEW title at Full Gear" since I think they promoted at least one title defense on tv between now and the PPV (I think in the 3rd or 4th show). I mean, I know it is very unlikely that the title changes hands on tv, but still, at least pretend that whoever will challenge Jericho has a chance
Yeah, this is fair. I would have preferred they did this too. Can fix it by saying if the person who fights for the title week 3 beats Jericho it will be them versus Cody. But yeah it does ignore the PPV TV match.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Makes sense as Cody is the most credible due to his previous wins, the match will be great but he's obviously losing. Jericho won't lose the title that soon and he shouldn't anyways. I'm here for a long Jericho reign which we are more than likely getting.

·
KNEE DA PEOPLE
2,473 Posts
Cody has been booked perfectly balanced. Like everything should be.

He's not overly booked strong in squashes and looking like superman.
He's not been booked weak as if he's never going to win a match and will retire quietly.

He's been booked at the right level of a high level wrestler who's just come from NJPW and opened his own franchise and "battled hard" to earn his championship match.

Can't wait. The TV feud build with Jericho/Brandy/Cody even potentially Bucks getting involved

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Calm down OP.

This match was clear as day as soon as Jericho won.

They are tearing down and re-building Omega for a long storyline that gets him to the title. It wouldn't be right to win now.

Mox shouldn't be Jericho's first feud, because whoever that is, is laying down.

So the ONLY logical opponent is Cody. People know him, and he will lay down for Jericho.

LOL at people thinking this is Nash 2.0. This is SMART.

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
This should actually be their best main event yet.

Just on Omega being torn down so he can be built up though: Why? Why would you tell that story? Why not just present him as a world class talent from the start? The journey back isn't as exciting as the journey there. It feels labored and like the long way to get to where you want to go.

I'm not the biggest Omega fan, but that's just got me puzzled. My guess is that Omega wanted to get a call from New Japan so he's booked himself out of the title picture and they just haven't called. Either that or it's mock humbility to put everyone else over since he's the EVP. He may have put himself early in the show (killing its flow completely) so he could "coach" the women's match, too.

Just a bit messy and there's no way AEW is going to win "Best Booker" at the end of the year in a just world. That has to go to New Japan.

·
NBA
2,946 Posts
Why?

Guys, this is what's going to make AEW different.

So now is about the time where you decide if you want a different wrestling product or if you want WWE lite.

WWE is the company that makes title matches on the basis of who has personal beef with the champion, rather than on the basis of who is the most credible challenger for the champion. WWE will just have Samoa Joe, who is a 50/50 jobber, beat down Kofi after a match and then boom, all of the sudden he's a title contender. No logic and no suspense because Joe has no credibility. That's how WWE "creates a match" through weeks of Will They/Won't They interactions and contrived personal beef

AEW will be the company where records matter. Cody has the best record right now. He's the most credible opponent, so they booked the match. That's how AEW "creates a match". Now Jericho and Cody have a REASON to start interacting and to let their personal feelings bubble to the surface over the course of the next few weeks of building. It's not just going to be some guy bumping into some other guy in the hallway and now they have a PPV match just because they had a personal interaction. The momentum and credibility of the competitors is what determines the matches and the personal animosity comes into focus AFTER the guys have a reason to fight.

To me, this is a breath of fresh air. We know what the title match is, we have a LOGICAL reason for it to be happening, it has continuity with the booking thus far and it gives the wrestlers an actual reason to develop a rivalry. It's closer to sport than soap opera. AEW always said that was the goal and y'all been acting like you wanted that.

Now we find out if you really do. Or if you're too used to the Vince McMahon formula
Funny, I recall one of the columnists of Lords of Pain back in 2016 talking about how it would be good if either the WWE or another promotion implemented a seasonal ranking system a la sports leagues to more or less determine the loose picture of their title pictures (no pun intended) and steer somewhat the general direction of the product. I also recall lots of comments laughing at him for suggesting "such a nonsensical idea that would ruin the product because wrestling is soap opera and as such it should have the same logic and narrative consistency as a soap opera". Fastforward to now and... Imo, it would be a good idea because, for starters, it would force the promoters into putting some long term thought into the booking of almost every single member of the roster. Yeah, it also means that the title picture is going to be seasonal and more or less spread among a small circle of competitors, which means that low carders getting a super push out of nowhere is going to be a super rare thing now (if not outright impossible) but on the other hand, don't people bitch about how folks like Jinder, Kofi or other long time midcarders are shoved into the title picture out of nowhere? Well, this way, if they want to push someone into the title picture, they are going to have no other option but to actually build their credibility for a certain amount of time, which would actually be a good thing.

And if they don't want the same two dudes having title matches one after another, have it so that losing title bouts in definitive fashion makes one lose half of their ranking points or something. That way, the title picture ain't going to feel monopolistic all the while still being out of reach for jobbers and other small fries at the same time.

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
16,444 Posts
Boy talk about reaching by some people in this thread. I have no issues with Cody Rhodes challenging Chris Jericho for the AEW Championship at Full Gear. He has the best Win and Loss Ratio/Record. He is most likely going to put Jericho over and have his first lost there. He is not winning the title, don't know why other's are getting bent out of shape of this.

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Okay, I love wrestling being treated like a sport more than most people. That's not what AEW is doing, by the way. You can't treat it like a sport on a show where you've got Best Friends vs. The Dark Order featuring Orange Cassidy and psychology shit enough that JR can't call it because it'll destroy his credibility as a voice you can trust. And as much as I want a serious presentation to my wrestling, win-loss records aren't the end-all, be-all.

Wrestlers can get into programs for personal issues. Wrestlers can jump into different positions very quickly. It's one of the best things about it being a work, right? You don't have your outcomes and angles dictated to you. When you do, it's called "booking yourself into a corner." I'd rather see someone with a 0-3 record challenging for a belt in a hot program than someone 3-0 challenging for it in a cold one. If credibility is an issue, make the challenger credible. Or make that the story. Maybe they have bought the title shot? Maybe it's in their hometown? Maybe they sent a dick pic to the champion's wife? Tell a fucking story.

That being said, Jericho vs. Cody is not AEW booking themselves into the corner. It's not just that Cody beat Shawn Spears and Dustin Rhodes, right? It's that he's been the hottest act in the promotion and knocking it out of the park. He brings far and away the most gravitas to his programs. If you're trying to do something that feels important, he's the right guy right now to do that. I fully expect Jericho to consult Tully Blanchard on how to fuck with a Rhodes, and I fully expect the first TV to feature an angle where Jericho breaks Dustin's arm and promises to do the same to Cody. It's Wrestling 101.

Well, maybe it will be Arn's arm. Or DDP's. Or maybe he kicks Pharaoh. Or maybe it's MJF and that fucker shows up with a cast at Full Gear...

You get what I'm saying though.

Jericho vs. Cody is happening because it's the best card they've got in their deck right now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cody v. Jericho was definitely the most logical direction to go in next. Personally, I don't really care if Cody goes for the belt or not. He is over so of course he deserves to be positioned in the main event. Plus who else would they set up for Jericho next. Pac? There is 0 chance Cody wins the belt or Jericho drops the belt before holding it for at least like 6 months. I can guarantee you AEW wants there titles to matter. They need to build up credibility for it. I do however, feel like most people are overplaying to what extent they are more sports like.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts