Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
It's a good match, but I don't get why they are announcing it this soon. They should have waited to build it at the TV show. Isn't Jericho still supposed to defend the title in the 3rd TNT episode?
Card is subject to change. It's been a wrestling staple since it's inception.

Jericho could lose before then and they change this match as a result. They're announcing it because of ticket sales. It's their next ppv. It's not like WWE selling Mania tickets in January or whatever.

·
That's the way it has to be
1,124 Posts
They'll have to watch out, lest Cody just become this generation's equivalent of Jeff Jarrett.

·
Registered
24,489 Posts
I still don't get the complains of Cody. Now, I don't like the manner in which he went over Spears, because Spears was made to look like a chump in that match.

But AEW does not exist without Cody. He's not the only reason it exists, but he's one of the main reasons it does. He's one of their most over guys right now. And he's one their few guys that's at a main event level. I mean look at their roster, their main eventers are basically:

1. Jericho
2. Cody
3. Omega
4. Mox
5. Hangman
6. PAC

And that's it. Omega and Mox are busy, Hangman and PAC will be too eventually. So you have another big PPV to sell, who the hell else are you going to put into that spot?

·
C Mac G
6,108 Posts
There's no indication that he would choose an MMA format over a football one. It would make it harder to understand in the long run. Which would spawn more threads like this and even worse for casual fans who don't take part in the IWC to get clued in. Realistically, the records should start over after AEW's equivalent to Mania/Wrestle Kingdom. It would also make those events more meaningful as your guys have start over so they better make it count.
In the media scrum after All Out, Khan said that they are looking into ideas about reseting records, but at the same time they will keep overall records for the entire of their AEW tenure.

It's fine because it's like MMA, people can lose a lot in the beginning, but then go on big runs. You don't have to promote it as just oh "He's 24-20", you can say "He's on a 12 singles match win streak" or "He's 9-1 in his last 10".

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,416 Posts
There's no indication that he would choose an MMA format over a football one. It would make it harder to understand in the long run. Which would spawn more threads like this and even worse for casual fans who don't take part in the IWC to get clued in. Realistically, the records should start over after AEW's equivalent to Mania/Wrestle Kingdom. It would also make those events more meaningful as your guys have start over so they better make it count.
Realistically the records should be based on how good someone has been recently. If you tie records to the entire calendar year that severely limits the element of spontaneity and is just a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

It'll be like NJPW, which is more the MMA model. For example, ZSJ wasn't on shit for awhile, then he suddenly went undefeated in the NJ Cup out of nowhere and was a serious title contender. His hot streak and current dominance determined his contender status, not his overall record for the whole year. That makes sense, that's more nimble, there's more spontaneity with that.

The NFL model doesn't work because it's a seasonal model based on a set limit of match ups and a set limit of competitive teams. NFL doesn't have to worry about not being able to field an entire team, or about a new team suddenly coming on board in the middle of the season.

In the media scrum after All Out, Khan said that they are looking into ideas about reseting records, but at the same time they will keep overall records for the entire of their AEW tenure.

It's fine because it's like MMA, people can lose a lot in the beginning, but then go on big runs. You don't have to promote it as just oh "He's 24-20", you can say "He's on a 12 singles match win streak" or "He's 9-1 in his last 10".
Exactly, this is the only way of keeping records that will work

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Well, he is the top babyface right now, so it makes sense. I just wish they had created the match using the upcoming tv shows to build and fuel the feud, not just announcing it out of nowhere.

They have a lot of time still to sell the PPV, they don't need instant sell-outs to every single show (and it won't happen, anyway).

·
It me.
13,505 Posts
He's going to put Jericho over, likely with an angle involved, like Jericho debuts a heater which stacks the odds for the person who inevitably topples him.

This is the right booking move.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Perfect way to build Jericho´s stable with MJF as the cocky understudy, Spears as the 3rd wheel, then you might bring in a female or a tag-team.

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,416 Posts
Well, he is the top babyface right now, so it makes sense. I just wish they had created the match using the upcoming tv shows to build and fuel the feud, not just announcing it out of nowhere.
Why?

Guys, this is what's going to make AEW different.

So now is about the time where you decide if you want a different wrestling product or if you want WWE lite.

WWE is the company that makes title matches on the basis of who has personal beef with the champion, rather than on the basis of who is the most credible challenger for the champion. WWE will just have Samoa Joe, who is a 50/50 jobber, beat down Kofi after a match and then boom, all of the sudden he's a title contender. No logic and no suspense because Joe has no credibility. That's how WWE "creates a match" through weeks of Will They/Won't They interactions and contrived personal beef

AEW will be the company where records matter. Cody has the best record right now. He's the most credible opponent, so they booked the match. That's how AEW "creates a match". Now Jericho and Cody have a REASON to start interacting and to let their personal feelings bubble to the surface over the course of the next few weeks of building. It's not just going to be some guy bumping into some other guy in the hallway and now they have a PPV match just because they had a personal interaction. The momentum and credibility of the competitors is what determines the matches and the personal animosity comes into focus AFTER the guys have a reason to fight.

To me, this is a breath of fresh air. We know what the title match is, we have a LOGICAL reason for it to be happening, it has continuity with the booking thus far and it gives the wrestlers an actual reason to develop a rivalry. It's closer to sport than soap opera. AEW always said that was the goal and y'all been acting like you wanted that.

Now we find out if you really do. Or if you're too used to the Vince McMahon formula

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts
yeah bring in Havoc instead of Cody he won his last match too.
I am a mega Havoc mark. Having Jimmy Havoc vs Jericho as your World title match for Full Gear would be dumb. Should Havoc get a title shot on TV? Sure but a PPV? Nah even as a massive mark for him, that makes no fucking sense. Cody Rhodes is unbeaten in singles action and has the best record. Jimmy is 1-0-2. He is also more known then Jimmy Havoc. The company said wins and losses matter. Cody has also put on a number of the best matches so far. He makes the most sense to fight Jericho and lose.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why?

Guys, this is what's going to make AEW different.

So now is about the time where you decide if you want a different wrestling product or if you want WWE lite.

WWE is the company that makes title matches on the basis of who has personal beef with the champion, rather than on the basis of who is the most credible challenger for the champion. WWE will just have Samoa Joe, who is a 50/50 jobber, beat down Kofi after a match and then boom, all of the sudden he's a title contender. No logic and no suspense because Joe has no credibility. That's how WWE "creates a match" through weeks of Will They/Won't They interactions and contrived personal beef

AEW will be the company where records matter. Cody has the best record right now. He's the most credible opponent, so they booked the match. That's how AEW "creates a match". Now Jericho and Cody have a REASON to start interacting and to let their personal feelings bubble to the surface over the course of the next few weeks of building. It's not just going to be some guy bumping into some other guy in the hallway and now they have a PPV match just because they had a personal interaction. The momentum and credibility of the competitors is what determines the matches and the personal animosity comes into focus AFTER the guys have a reason to fight.

To me, this is a breath of fresh air. We know what the title match is, we have a LOGICAL reason for it to be happening, it has continuity with the booking thus far and it gives the wrestlers an actual reason to develop a rivalry. It's closer to sport than soap opera. AEW always said that was the goal and y'all been acting like you wanted that.

Now we find out if you really do. Or if you're too used to the Vince McMahon formula
This. A thousand times this.

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,106 Posts
I am a mega Havoc mark. Having Jimmy Havoc vs Jericho as your World title match for Full Gear would be dumb. Should Havoc get a title shot on TV? Sure but a PPV? Nah even as a massive mark for him, that makes no fucking sense. Cody Rhodes is unbeaten in singles action and has the best record. Jimmy is 1-0-2. He is also more known then Jimmy Havoc. The company said wins and losses matter. Cody has also put on a number of the best matches so far. He makes the most sense to fight Jericho and lose.
It was sarcastic man, I am with you about Cody.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I’m ignoring about 5 trolls a day over here in AEW Land.

These clowns trying to shoot on AEW booking one of their 3 biggest stars in a title match is immediate grounds for ignoring.

My only question is I’m we’re to assume Jericho won’t have to defend his title until Full Gear? I’m intrigued.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts
I’m ignoring about 5 trolls a day over here in AEW Land.

These clowns trying to shoot on AEW booking one of their 3 biggest stars in a title match is immediate grounds for ignoring.

My only question is I’m we’re to assume Jericho won’t have to defend his title until Full Gear? I’m intrigued.
He has an advertised title defense on the 3rd week on TV. I can see it being one of the mid-card boys getting the shot

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,169 Posts
it would be a bit silly to have the first aew title reign end so soon particularly if they want to attract casual viewers for tv

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm not gonna pitch a fit yet. We pretty much knew that as soon as Cody went over Spears.

If he wins the belt though....
Hollywood Rock is one of my favorite heels

Wouldn't it be cool to like build a rivalry and pay it off in a PPV match AFTER they debut on TV? I mean, I don't understand the dynamics of Mortal Kombat wrestling, but I would really like to know, if you don't mind.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
He has an advertised title defense on the 3rd week on TV. I can see it being one of the mid-card boys getting the shot
Ahh, I guess I’ll have to watch the first couple weeks of tv to see who his challenger will be.

Wouldn't it be cool to like build a rivalry and pay it off in a PPV match AFTER they debut on TV? I mean, I don't understand the dynamics of Mortal Kombat wrestling, but I would really like to know, if you don't mind.
Presumably they’ll have 6 weeks to build more story into the match. That should be plenty of time.

It’d also be cool to have Cody embroiled in a blood feud with Spears or somebody else when his title shot comes up. That’ll alone will add more drama if Spears will interfere or not along with the heat they’ll build between Jericho and Cody.

Multilayer these feuds and title shots.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts