Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roman might face Rock but Rock ain't gonna dethrone Roman

These two are popular babyfaces right now to dethrone Roman

These two are also top 2 favourites to win Royal Rumble and top 2 in betting odds

1) Cody Rhodes - Story of winning world title finally for his family

2) Sami Zayn - Amazing story with Bloodline

Or do you think guys like Seth Rollins or Drew McIntyre will dethrone Roman

· Registered
6,014 Posts
Drew and Seth have had their chance on top and they did ok but we've seen it before. It's nothing new.

Cody has more upside than Sami Zayn at this point. The Bloodline story is more over but Cody is ready to be World Champion. I don't think Sami is quite ready just yet, mainly because of how weak he has been booked the last two years.

Rock vs Reigns would be great but it doesn't need to be for the title. Besides, WWE surely must trust Roman enough to let him face a full time guy at Mania for once?

· Waiting for Kawato
5,624 Posts
Between the two of them at this Wrestlemania, Sami, providing they can work the story they're telling in the right way for it to have maximum impact. I do think the better way to go is for him and KO to face the Uso's though. That has night 1 headliner written all over it.

The Cody thing just makes no sense to me. The story they want to tell is great, but you don't blow such a story off in a couple of months, and it does not matter one bit who the champion is when he finally wins it.

Cody should dramatically NOT win this Rumble (providing you have a credible alternative) he should be in and lose Money in the Bank too. Hell, if/when he does win the Rumble he should lose at Mania so when he actually wins the title is has been a struggle and a journey and it has ten times the weight behind it than him walking back into the company, saying it has been his dream to win the title, and after a couple of months, and on his first attempt, just doing it.

Crossing the Cody and Roman story is pointless. It would be a big match, but they've got hardly any tickets left to sell from a business point of view, and from a creative point of view why blow off two massive storylines in the same moment? It's a waste.

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Between the two of them at this Wrestlemania, Sami, providing they can work the story they're telling in the right way for it to have maximum impact. I do think the better way to go is for him and KO to face the Uso's though. That has night 1 headliner written all over it.

The Cody thing just makes no sense to me. The story they want to tell is great, but you don't blow such a story off in a couple of months, and it does not matter one bit who the champion is when he finally wins it.

Cody should dramatically NOT win this Rumble (providing you have a credible alternative) he should be in and lose Money in the Bank too. Hell, if/when he does win the Rumble he should lose at Mania so when he actually wins the title is has been a struggle and a journey and it has ten times the weight behind it than him walking back into the company, saying it has been his dream to win the title, and after a couple of months, and on his first attempt, just doing it.

Crossing the Cody and Roman story is pointless. It would be a big match, but they've got hardly any tickets left to sell from a business point of view, and from a creative point of view why blow off two massive storylines in the same moment? It's a waste.
I mean if Rock isn't there then Cody has good chance of winning Rumble

Sami too has very high chances to win Rumble but Elimination chamber is in Sami Zayn's hometown Montreal. I think he might face Roman there

I mean why would they put those video packages for Cody Rhodes if he's not in a world title match at Wrestlemania

· Registered
3,257 Posts
Cody because it makes more sense from a story perspective since the titles are involved. Sami however, can one day pin Roman after he loses the titles to make the Bloodline story come full circle.

· Ho!
20,672 Posts
Sami’s the better story, and ultimately would be the better moment when it happens.

Cody though I think has a better chance at having a more successful longer term run. Plus I think you can get multiple reigns out of him. Sami I think would be a more one and done guy, maybe two runs. Still having that run would make him a stronger upper mid card talent down the line if nothing else and Cody’s journey is about winning the WWE Title itself, not beating Roman necessarily (though Zayn could beat KO down the line for it).

· Registered
1,379 Posts

Austin vs Rock at Mania 17 only had a couple of months build. This story and time to tell it is now whilst its hot. It does matter than Roman is the champ, Cody needs to beat him and no one else. Hes the final boss whose layed waste to everyone in WWE.

· Registered
77 Posts
I'm not opposed to either choice though I lean more towards Cody. Cody feels more appropriate and fitting as the one to dethrone Roman especially with the story they are going for with him trying to achieve what his father never could do. Also when the feud eventually does happen, It can easily turn into a battle of wrestling family legacies. Sami would be a great dark horse pick and the idea that he will see the bloodline for all their BS makes for a good story, however it feels more fitting for him to conclude the story by teaming up with KO and finally beating the Usos. Not the least being his strong ties with the Uso brothers.

· Waiting for Kawato
5,624 Posts
Austin vs Rock at Mania 17 only had a couple of months build. This story and time to tell it is now whilst its hot. It does matter than Roman is the champ, Cody needs to beat him and no one else. Hes the final boss whose layed waste to everyone in WWE.
Austin and Rock had years of history together. Cody and Roman worked some tags together 10 years ago. If they find a way to work that into the story then fair enough, otherwise it's not really the same.

You're right that Cody is about the only guy left they could put against Roman that he hasn't beat, which is a fault of the company, and maybe it would be better to just strap the rocket to him now rather than going with the dream of winning the title story, because now really does feel like the right time for Roman to lose.

I just think that with the majority of babyfaces it is the chase that counts, and I'm not sure Cody is a guy who will overcome that.

· Premium Member
46,590 Posts
I see Sami Zayn as kind of the Mick Foley in this situation. He's the sympathetic favorite and can have a great feud with Roman (the current storyline building to that blow up has been stellar). If you recall WrestleMania XV, Foley's ultimate role in the main event was counting the 3 and getting revenge on McMahon, Rock, and the corporation for using and abusing him. But someone else walked out with the title.

They might do something similar here by splitting Sami from the Bloodline in some horrible act of betrayal from Roman and his family, doing the Sami/Roman match in February where Sami comes close but comes short, and then having Sami do something at Mania to cost Roman against the Rumble winner, Cody Rhodes.

They might also do something where Sami wins the Rumble and then Roman demands that he surrender his title shot or lay down for him at Mania, leading to Sami ultimately standing up for himself.

TLDR, they got options and I am intrigued.

· Registered
1,896 Posts
I expect Sami to the shock of the Universe is actually getting his shot this Saturday @ Rumble but falls short in an electrifying atmosphere

where as Cody wins the wwe title at Mania in one of Reigns two title defenses that weekend

· Waiting for Kawato
5,624 Posts
Let's throw something else out there... They were pretty specific in having Owens this week talk (unless it was an error on his part, which I doubt) specifically about the Universal title. So it could be they're going to pull exactly the same thing with Roman that they now are with the Uso's, and technically nobody will actually dethrone him, they'll just take one of the belts.

In which case Cody probably would be the better guy to go with.

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see Sami Zayn as kind of the Mick Foley in this situation. He's the sympathetic favorite and can have a great feud with Roman (the current storyline building to that blow up has been stellar). If you recall WrestleMania XV, Foley's ultimate role in the main event was counting the 3 and getting revenge on McMahon, Rock, and the corporation for using and abusing him. But someone else walked out with the title.

They might do something similar here by splitting Sami from the Bloodline in some horrible act of betrayal from Roman and his family, doing the Sami/Roman match in February where Sami comes close but comes short, and then having Sami do something at Mania to cost Roman against the Rumble winner, Cody Rhodes.

They might also do something where Sami wins the Rumble and then Roman demands that he surrender his title shot or lay down for him at Mania, leading to Sami ultimately standing up for himself.

TLDR, they got options and I am intrigued.
I think there are only two matches for Sami Zayn at Wrestlemania

1) Either face Roman for the title at Wrestlemania

2) Or team up with KO to dethrone Usos for tag titles

1 - 20 of 63 Posts