Wrestling Forum banner

Cody Rhodes on the path to greatness?

4296 49
Ive always been a fan of him, but holy shit is this new mask gimmick thing making him an absolutely amazing character... he is and will be one of the most over wrestlers by years end.

I dont see how this can fail

the guy is GOLD.. his move set is crazier as well
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
I've always been a Mysterio fan, but I'd love to see Cody go over him at WM. His character's turning out awesome. Vince needs to build on it.

· Anti-Hero
11,709 Posts
Absolutely. With his pedigree he must have grown up hearing about the business all the time. And he's a natural.
I remember being a little leery at first. "OK, Goldust is great, but what are the chances that both of Dusty's sons will have 'it'".
I've been waiting to see which of this new generation of talent were really going to break out. It looks like Cody has got a bright future, regardless of the outcome at Mania. He's been able to take every opportunity thrown his way and make it work.

· Registered
241 Posts
Can't see him being a major star. He's too small to main event and Miz already has "the small heel who shouldn't be in the main event but somehow is" gimmick.

He's a good actor for a wrestler, but this current gimmick only has so much legs before it runs out of steam. To become a consistent main eventer he'd need to develop a more true to life persona.

The size thing will still be there though, can't see him looking legit in the ring against the likes of Cena, Orton and HHH. He doesn't have the move set to make up for his size deficiency. Rey is probably the only main eventer he can go against without looking silly.

· Anti-Hero
11,709 Posts
Can't see him being a major star. He's too small to main event and Miz already has "the small heel who shouldn't be in the main event but somehow is" gimmick.
I don't like this argument like I don't like the 'fat' argument for guys like Husky and Brodus. Wrestling is about suspended belief. Do you 'believe' HBK can go toe to toe with Vader? Jericho, Savage, Hart etc. The list goes on for smaller guys who went on to be megastars. A great performer 'makes' you believe. It remains to be seen whether Rhodes is capable of this level of success but he has the potential and the opportunity.

· Registered
241 Posts
I don't like this argument like I don't like the 'fat' argument for guys like Husky and Brodus. Wrestling is about suspended belief. Do you 'believe' HBK can go toe to toe with Vader? Jericho, Savage, Hart etc.
You've picked 4 of the greatest in ring talents of all time who have overcame their size by great athleticism and story telling. You believe they can win because they make you believe with their wrestling ability (and Savage and Hart aren't considered small by most).

Do you put Rhodes in that category?

I won't write him off yet, he's young and has a chance to improve in ring, but I haven't seen it yet.

The list goes on for smaller guys who went on to be megastars.
In the WWE? Not really, you pretty much nailed it I think. List doesn't go much further than that...

Mysterio of course, but his gimmick is pretty clear and Rhodes is no Mysterio...

A great performer 'makes' you believe. It remains to be seen whether Rhodes is capable of this level of success but he has the potential and the opportunity.
Well, yeah, very much "remains to be seen". Based on the evidence we have at this point indications are that the answer will remain "no" though.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
I ouldn't say on the path to greatness as when i hear that i think of Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Sting, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, The Undertaker, Triple H, Kurt Angle and John Cena and as much as i like Cody Rhodes i don't see him going on to emulate any of them. Right now i would say he has finally found his niche and is playing a great heel and who for me right now is probably the most entertaining character on SmackDown but that doesn't mean he is on a path to greatness.

Where Cody Rhodes goes from where he is now all depends on whether he goes over Rey Mysterio at WrestleMania 27 or not as he is probably at the hottest he has ever been as a character and a loss would hurt his momentum despite the fact it would also be his biggest win if that makes sense. If Cody Rhodes goes over Rey Mysterio at WrestleMania 27 and then goes over him again at Extreme Rules then his momentum could realistically propel him into the main event scene in the same way Dolph Ziggler was after a few months and a really hot character.

All of the talk though about Cody Rhodes being to small is nonsense because Rey Mysterio is a former two time World champion and we have also seen Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart and Randy Savage all be a WWE/World champion in WWE and for their respective era's they were all considered small and whilst Cody Rhodes hasn't proved to be in their class yet he is doing very well in his own era. What Cody Rhodes has in his favour is his father and older brother have both been at the top in different era's so he knows the business and he has also been in the ring with the best around on the roster since he debuted in 2007 so understands the business in this era as well.

I would like to see Cody Rhodes have a really long and strong mid card title reign before going to the main event scene as it worked for Dolph Ziggler recently and it will help establish him so much more than simply going straight into the main event scene. The advantage that Cody Rhodes has on SmackDown is that outside of The Undertaker and Edge there isn't a lot between the mid card and the main event scene so if he were to go over Rey Mysterio and then Kofi Kingston and Christian consecutively he would then be seen as believable in the main event scene on SmackDown.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
Where Cody Rhodes goes from where he is now all depends on whether he goes over Rey Mysterio at WrestleMania 27 or not as he is probably at the hottest he has ever been as a character and a loss would hurt his momentum despite the fact it would also be his biggest win if that makes sense. If Cody Rhodes goes over Rey Mysterio at WrestleMania 27 and then goes over him again at Extreme Rules then his momentum could realistically propel him into the main event scene in the same way Dolph Ziggler was after a few months and a really hot character.
I don't agree that Cody's destiny, to borrow an ADR word, is determined by whether or not he goes over Mysterio at Wrestlemania. There are ways in which he can be "put over" without necessarily "going over" Mysterio. Would it help? Yes. But losing to Mysterio at Wrestlemania by itself shouldn't harm him very much. If they have him lose to Mysterio at consecutive PPVs, that may be a different matter, but I highly doubt they would do that.

All of the talk though about Cody Rhodes being to small is nonsense because Rey Mysterio is a former two time World champion and we have also seen Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart and Randy Savage all be a WWE/World champion in WWE and for their respective era's they were all considered small and whilst Cody Rhodes hasn't proved to be in their class yet he is doing very well in his own era. What Cody Rhodes has in his favour is his father and older brother have both been at the top in different era's so he knows the business and he has also been in the ring with the best around on the roster since he debuted in 2007 so understands the business in this era as well.
Questionable point about Goldust being at the top of his era aside, I agree with most of this... In 2011, too much is made out of the size issue in WWE. The average size keeps dropping. If you walk up to Dolph Ziggler, you may be a bit surprised to note how average-looking, bordering on slightly "small" (for wrestling) he actually he is, and yet according to WWE's record books he's now a former world champion.

I would like to see Cody Rhodes have a really long and strong mid card title reign before going to the main event scene as it worked for Dolph Ziggler recently and it will help establish him so much more than simply going straight into the main event scene. The advantage that Cody Rhodes has on SmackDown is that outside of The Undertaker and Edge there isn't a lot between the mid card and the main event scene so if he were to go over Rey Mysterio and then Kofi Kingston and Christian consecutively he would then be seen as believable in the main event scene on SmackDown.
I'd like to see them transition the Intercontinental Championship from Kofi Kingston to Cody Rhodes this spring or summer at the latest. After a very long reign, he could be ready for actual elevation beyond the midcard in roughly a year from now or so.

· Registered
241 Posts
All of the talk though about Cody Rhodes being to small is nonsense because Rey Mysterio is a former two time World champion and we have also seen Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart and Randy Savage all be a WWE/World champion in WWE
As above, you're listing truly great in ring talents here, which is what is required to overcome the size issue. Rhodes is not in that class.

Can he get there? Pure speculation on the part of anyone who says yes.

· Banned
7,766 Posts
He's the most developed character atm, he draws me in because of such substance he's been built. I mean he's gone mad like his brother but in a different direction, he's evolving his character and its the first time in a while we've seen it done in such detail as this. The last I can think of is CM Punk when he was turning heel and when Jericho was turning heel on Shawn Michaels. It makes for an interesting watch, they should do this with more superstars.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.