Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering he hasn't been around too long and even in Legacy he didn't get too much mic time. I think this gimmick has given him great expirience on the mic and he has now become really good on the mic.

Anyone share this or dis agree ?

· Purebred Powerhouse
7,854 Posts
I recall at least one stand-out moment of mic work that Cody displayed back during his Legacy days. I want to say it was in the midst of the Priceless vs. DX rivalry, in which Cody basically built himself & Ted up as being better than their fathers. In fact, somebody had quotes from that speech in their sig here on the forums.

In any case, I remember Cody getting some substantial praise for his mic work even before he was called up to WWE television. So even before people knew or cared much about him - and when he was just going by Cody Runnels - he must've shown some capability when holding the mic.

· Premium Member
286 Posts
I watched smackdown for the first time in a long time this friday. I have to say I have never been a fan of Cody especially in his legacy days but he was really impressive friday night. I like this new gimmick that they have given him. I really didnt like it at first but now that i see how its playing out its turning out to work really well for him.

· Registered
1,400 Posts
Ever since his first "dashing" promo, he's been really entertaining on the mic. the only issue that I've noticed is that he he doesn't come across as hateable so much as entertaining.

· Lucy Snorebush
2,166 Posts
He's great on the mic, then again it runs in the family. Goldust and their father are both gems in promos.

· Registered
6,122 Posts
I find it hard to fault his mic work, he's doing unbelievably well. I think it just clicks with him, I don't know. Almost on a weekly basis now, he comes out and cuts perfect promos and wrestles good matches too. The only thing that COULD stop him from reaching World Champ status is his size, but I hope to God they overlook that. He's brilliant AND 25 years old. I'd say he's in the top 10 of best promo cutters right now.

· Registered
6,148 Posts
Sometimes he's doing really well and then sometimes not so well. I just don't know if he's good or not because he alternates. Atm he's good but not in the leagues of the likes of Miz, Riley, Punk etc.
LOL!! :lmao
I thought for a second you were serious
Just going to offer my opinion. Take out Riley...seriously, and put in Rhodes because considering his promos the last year and how far he has come, his latest promo broke the top 3 with Miz and Punk occupying the other spots. That's not to say he knocked off Riley. A-Ri has decent mic skills but no way is he in the same league as Punk and Miz. Cody actually is showing that he belongs there imo.

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
Rhodes is nowhere near Punk and Miz. Hell, even Miz isn't near Punk. Punk is in a league by himself in todays WWE. And Rhodes is nowhere near Riley either. Just look up some FCW promos if his WWE work isn't enough to convince you, considering he's barely been given much mic time in WWE.

· Registered
6,148 Posts
I don't see the big deal about his mic work, he's overrated. He's above average at the moment, but there aren't too many good mic workers in WWE, so that's nothing special. I'd give him maybe a 6.
Well he's better than 2 out of the 4 guys you have in your signature :p I actually think he has been the best mic worker overall in 2011. That's just my view though, considering how far he has come and how intense his promos have been. I get that he doesn't seem to appeal to you though so I'm not going to rant and rave because it's your opinion after all.

· Registered
6,148 Posts
Rhodes is nowhere near Punk and Miz. Hell, even Miz isn't near Punk. Punk is in a league by himself in todays WWE. And Rhodes is nowhere near Riley either. Just look up some FCW promos if his WWE work isn't enough to convince you, considering he's barely been given much mic time in WWE.
Like I said, A-Ri is decent on the stick, but Rhodes is getting praised all over the place for his mic work. Only Punk and Miz seem to get more. Riley's good but no way is he up there in terms of mic skills. Cody may not appeal to you but you can't deny that he's getting the praise that'll put him up there with the best mic workers in the company with CM Punk and The Miz. The thing they all seem to have in common is the conviction with which they speak. In other words, you listen to them and they make you believe they mean everything they're saying. No way Alex Riley does that, at least not yet. Given time and experience I'm sure he will be very good on the mic, but as of right now, no chance.

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
Whatever. No matter how many times you lie, Cody Rhodes will never be as good as CM Punk or The Miz. He can improve all he wants, they'll just improve to an even higher level and continue to blow him out of the water.

· Registered
6,148 Posts
Ummm, no.

Punk = 10

Miz = 9

Barrett = 9

Del Rio = 8

Rhodes = 6...at BEST.
In your opinion that is. It isn't gospel. Here's my opinion:

Punk = 9.5 (nobody's perfect :p)

Miz = 9

Barrett = 8

Del Rio = 8

Rhodes = 8.5

That's my opinion. I'm just saying. With the praise Rhodes has gotten, he is easily amongst the best mic workers of the younger wrestlers. That's a part of why WWE have planned a big match for him at Wrestlemania with Mysterio. WWE obviously seem to think this guy is in the same league you mentioned. Your sig says Del Rio, Barrett, Punk and Miz are the future of WWE. I really can't disagree, but imo, Rhodes is right up there with them. I think WWE must think so too. But like I said, it's my opinion considering how good his mic work has been these past few weeks and months.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.