Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One year ago... Nine months ago... I would never have thought I'd find myself saying this, but the truth is, at this moment, Cody Rhodes is outshining his former Priceless/Legacy tag team partner, Ted DiBiase, and it's difficult to see this changing. During the DX feud, I realized that Rhodes actually possessed greater charisma and presence with more understanding of his character. He also cut better, more engaging promos. As this became apparent, his in-ring work seemed to improve dramatically during the feud with DX, and following that as well.

Right now, with Legacy dead and buried, and with DiBiase in Raw's midcard and Rhodes being positioned as an upper midcard presence who already found himself placed in a main event on Smackdown, and with DiBiase (and WWE) fundamentally remaking his father's gimmick for himself, Rhodes has found a new gimmick and character and is expressing his increasingly solid promo and ring work on a weekly basis.

It just seems like the guy who was once anointed as one of the next big things is currently floundering a bit, stuck and entrenched in Raw's midcard while Rhodes is improving week by week and gaining traction on the blue brand where the environment is more conducive to upward mobility in the company. Frankly, Rhodes is outshining DiBiase, and it is a revelatory process.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I like both but I always thought Cody was better.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
I'm enjoying Rhodes more than DiBiase atm and I think you raise some valid points. But I also think that DiBiase could pull off a sneaky win at MITB as it seems practically written for him so I'm going to hold judgment until after then where I'll happily admit that I'm wrong if he doesn't win it lol. WWE sees more in Ted though, that much is obvious.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
should add "dashing" to thread title IMO.

·
I GOT ALOT LEFT IN THE TANK
4,541 Posts
This was evident back when they were both in legacy. Ted beats Cody Rhodes in only one category and that's "the look". But even now Rhodes is currently making a gimmick out of his looks, so I don't know if I can even say that anymore. I agree with your post and I also cannot see this changing.

I'm enjoying Rhodes more than DiBiase atm and I think you raise some valid points. But I also think that DiBiase could pull off a sneaky win at MITB as it seems practically written for him so I'm going to hold judgment until after then where I'll happily admit that I'm wrong if he doesn't win it lol. WWE sees more in Ted though, that much is obvious.
Even if Ted manages to win MITB (not going to happen), it certainly won't be because he deserves it more than Rhodes. I also have zero interest in seeing something like this happen.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I think even if Dibiase happens to win MITB at the PPV. Cody is proving he's far better than him in every way, week after week. Ted is kind of generic in and bland to me in almost every way, yet Cody has found his niche, he's got a character completely seperate from his father, he's engaging on the mic, has natural charisma and he's fantastic in the ring.

Yet Dibiase has basically copied his fathers gimmick in an attempt to get over, is pretty bland in the ring and I don't find his promos interesting in the slightest. Cody is far...far superior imo.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
This was evident back when they were both in legacy. Ted beats Cody Rhodes in only one category and that's "the look". But even now Rhodes is currently making a gimmick out of his looks, so I don't know if I can even say that anymore. I agree with your post and I also cannot see this changing.

Even if Ted manages to win MITB (not going to happen), it certainly won't be because he deserves it more than Rhodes. I also have zero interest in seeing something like this happen.
I'm with you that DiBiase doesn't deserve it yet. I just have a feeling that he might win, that's all. Like I said, I'm enjoying Cody way more right now. Hopefully he can become a top player on SD in the future.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
this isn't new.

he has always outshined DiBiase. WWE secretly knew that shit too.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got to agree. DiBiase had "The Look" all over Rhodes, but now Rhodes is actually utilizing his looks to be the cornerstone of his new gimmick, and it's having a strangely beguiling affect on his segments on Smackdown. Rhodes just looks more confident, hungrier, more passionate and more certain of what he's doing.

DiBiase needs to log time in the midcard for a good while--I'd say two years based on his overall presentation, character, ring work, mic work, etceteras--before getting even consideration for a main event run. Sheamus and Swagger could withstanding being pushed to the top with no build-up whatsoever; DiBiase, I think, could not. It'd be worse than what WWE did to Orton in 2004. He'd be trying to rebuild his momentum for years on end.

I agree with Starbuck, though, that it's certainly possible and DiBiase/Maryse may be positioned as a new Power Couple ala Triple H/Steph or Edge/Lita. But I'd hold off on it for a good while because DiBiase in particular just isn't ready for that kind of push in my estimation.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Both are boring as fuck. Both of their gimmick are awful. They are nothing like their fathers at all. Pretty sure Ted is adopted, and if it wasn't for Cody looking just like his father(, I'd think he was as well.

I haven't seen anything of Brett DiBiase, but Goldust is miles ahead of his brother.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
I've been saying it all along that Rhodes is in fact better than DiBiase, and I'm glad to see the proof etching itself out.

I've always seen "breakout star" in Rhodes, and I'm really liking what I've seen from him. His poise has always been incredible, and I think that adds a lot to his game. He's a very capable promo cutter and he can obviously work a great match. He's just an all-around great talent, and we're seeing that laid out in front of us.

I do think that being on SmackDown! somewhat has something to do with it, as traditionally that seems to be the better place to shine, but then again, DiBiase has found ways to shine on RAW and lest we forget, he did get a PPV match with R-Truth in a feud that was actually relevant. I believe that DiBiase has taken advantage of his opportunities and we'll begin to see new doors open up in this "power couple" with Maryse.

However, I think that there are more doors and a much longer hallway, so to speak, for Cody Rhodes, and I believe that he will enjoy more success both over the long haul and in a quicker amount of time. If these two progress to the main event while being held on separate shows, I will be intrigued to see their "coming back" feud down the road.

The progress of each guy is great to see. I'm much happier with Rhodes right now, as I would expect. He was always the star of this duo in my eyes, and that will remain evident.

·
Usertitle ist hier
11,699 Posts
What are you talking about?

Rhodes has been outshining DiBiase since they paired up. Rhodes has been impressive from the start and has grown, so much so that he's becoming an integrel part of Smackdown and someone the WWE obviously sees a lot in. He's had great matches whenever he's stepped in the ring and been given time and has a good character going instead of the generic "I'm a 2nd/2rd generation kid".

1 - 20 of 45 Posts