Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else think hes gonna stay doing announcing wrestlers dont normally just randomly join announcing teams when injured seems a bit weird.

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
I'm pretty sure he'll be returning to the ring eventually, I think they've just put him as an announcer for the time being. Not sure why they are doing this, maybe they wanted to keep him on screen so the fans won't forget about him, plus he's brilliant on the mic so really its just playing to his strengths.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
He's too talented to be left-off the show. He'll be back in the ring around february i think.

·
Registered
919 Posts
He's too talented to be left-off the show. He'll be back in the ring around february i think.
Exactly. CM Punk really is too talented on the mic to leave off TV.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Too talented as a whole you mean surely? Because commentators get the most mic time.
Yes. CM Punks goes from brilliance to trying too hard and bad judgement. Almost like Matt Striker when he first started.

·
Michael Cole is NXT
1,050 Posts
I know I will probably get flamed for this but I don't think he is a good commentator, entertaining yes, but not good. I feel his commentary takes a lot away from matches (Like Cole/Matthews NXT, although they do that for an obvious reason) and moment, like when Miz was cashing in Money in the Bank, the first thing he says is "this seems very familiar to me", putting the spotlight on himself and did not seem to care about it much at all (which fair does, is his character but a commentator should not be like this).

So I feel he has to put more effort into his commentary and start putting wrestlers over (in the booth) before considering a permanent position.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I know I will probably get flamed for this but I don't think he is a good commentator, entertaining yes, but not good. I feel his commentary takes a lot away from matches (Like Cole/Matthews NXT, although they do that for an obvious reason) and moment, like when Miz was cashing in Money in the Bank, the first thing he says is "this seems very familiar to me", putting the spotlight on himself and did not seem to care about it much at all (which fair does, is his character but a commentator should not be like this).

So I feel he has to put more effort into his commentary and start putting wrestlers over (in the booth) before considering a permanent position.
I sort of agree but to be fair, he's new at it. I'm sure he'll improve over time, especially once he gets used to having Vince screaming in his ear constantly.

·
Banned
3,146 Posts
You have to keep in mind that he's a wrestler first and a commentator second.

From a kayfayabe standpoint, as a wrestler he would want himself to be the top dog, meaning he shouldn't be putting over other stars. That doesn't mean he should be burying them, but he definitely shouldn't be bragging them up, leave that to King and Cole.

And he will return to the ring sometime next year, he was just injured at a terrible time. Being that he had just been drafted to Raw and was being pushed to take Edge's place as the main tweener on Raw. This is just a way to keep him relevant so they can keep pushing him when he comes back.

·
Undergoing a gimmick change.
2,385 Posts

Surely the fact that he is entertaining is the entire point? The show is all about being entertained, not to evaluate a wrestlers skills at calling a match.

·
Registered
215 Posts
He got injured, and Vince didn't want him off-screen while he was healing up, so gave him the commentator spot (I assume it was based off his once-off spot on NXT3). Reports are he'll be healed in time for WM, so expect him behind the desk until then.

·
Registered
241 Posts
JBL was brilliant at putting over the matches while staying true to his wrestling character.

Punk is a long way short of that now, but I'm willing to give him time to improve.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Another Punk thread? He's good on the mic, they didn't want everyone to forget about him.

Hopefully he'll be #30 at the Rumble, and just stand up from the announce table, sneak up and eliminate #29. I'd mark so hard.

·
Rated PG
3,485 Posts
CM Punk is great in the ring and on the mic so why keep him off screen? He is an assist.

Once he is closer to being fit I can see him starting a feud while commentating with someone like Bryan.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Lita and JBL joined the announce team when injured and both came back. For those wondering, Lita joined the Heat team.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
He looked perfectly miserable on superstars with his hair like that.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think they just want to keep his gimmick going. quite often when wrstler get a long injury their gimmmick changes when they return, i guesse they dont want people feeling sorry for him or forget what hes ''crusading'' for. they want people to remember hes a whiny bitch and not cheer his return :)

·
Registered
12,441 Posts

He's a heel so of course he's going to talk about himself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think Punk has done a very good job as commentator. He entertains me more than Cole and Lawler do. Also I agree with the guy who said that one of the reasons they put him as a commentator was to keep his gimmick going. Because if they let him sit on the shelf until January/February, he will most likely get a face pop when he returns. As a commentator, Punk will be able to add more to the show and more to his character.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im just saying its not very often when wwe stars are injured they go to the commentator section. just look at randy or triple h or many others. and thats what has me thikning if he will come back to compete or just stay on the announcing team

1 - 20 of 21 Posts