Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CM Punk's media blitz in Sydney, Australia continues. Punk recently chatted with Mark Serrels, editor of Kotaku Australia. They spoke about the importance of Twitter, which Punk called "a fantastic tool." They also discussed Punk's in-ring persona, and how it's so close to his real-life character.

"I'm not some crazy person who thinks, you know, I am not Phil Brooks anymore, but I got into wrestling because I could pick a cool nickname and be a GI Joe guy!," said Punk. "All the GI Joe guys had codenames – CM Punk is my codename. At the same time, I'm not playing someone. I'm not a phoney Russian! I'm not an astronaut, I'm not a clown, I'm a straight-edge kid from Chicago. I'm a pro wrestler.

"I don't really know how to do anything else," he continued, "And I think that's why it's worked. People recognise that I'm not trying to be someone I'm not. Stone Cold Steve Austin didn't work as the Ringmaster, the Rock didn't work at Rocky Maivia — because it was forced. It was phoney and when you go out there and you try to be something you're not, whether it's conscious or sub-conscious, the fans see through it."

You can read the full interview here http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/10/how-do-pro-wrestlers-use-twitter/.
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2011/1010/545510/cm-punk/

Dont know if this was posted.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
●●●●●●●●;10432923 said:
lol G.I Joe guy??

Is this another shot at the Rock?
yeah and when he said that he doesnt use twitter to advertise himself too :rolleyes:

i mean really he just the rock got over with the fans because he was not a phony if this was a shot then against cena

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
He makes a good point about Austin/Rock and NO it's not a shot at him before the onslaught comes in. ~___~

He's just saying that people are more natural when they play a character similar to themselves.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
He's right. The most successful wrestlers are the ones who were just being themselves in overdrive.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Punk just admitted that he his what he wants be - himself. Not saying that's bad and all, makes it compelling to some viewers but to me it's nothing special, it's no gimmick(like Rock/Austin/Hogan/Cena/HHH/Taker etc.. you made it work and make it feel special, lager than life) and anyone can do what he does (Yes, I know there isn't many people on the roster can do what he can do because they just plain out crap, unless your Sin Cara lol.)

You either like it or hate it. :)

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
Punk just admitted that he his what he wants be - himself. Not saying that's bad and all, makes it compelling to some viewers but to me it's nothing special, it's no gimmick(like Rock/Austin/Cena/HHH/Taker etc.. you made it work and make it feel special, lager than life) and anyone can do what he does (Yes, I know there isn't many people on the roster can do what he can do because they just plain out crap, unless your Sin Cara lol.)

You either like it or hate it. :)
What?

Steve Austin and The Rock aren't gimmicks. Undertaker is a gimmick and fair play to him for somehow maintaining such an awful gimmick for 20+ years.

He's saying how being yourself but magnifying it more is what makes a superstar instead of acting like something you're not.

Orton acting a bad ass isn't good because he isn't a bad ass. If anything it's made me dislike him and I used to like Orton a lot. Cena acting like a saint isn't good because well he's pretty hypocritical of what he say's all the time. CM Punk is CM Punk and that's why he has a lot of fans, he isn't something he's not.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Good reading, thanks!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts