Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the fact that CM Punk is straight edge has contributed to his success in WWE? With all the bad press WWE has been getting with former and current wrestlers dying due to drug abuse do you think him being straight edge is a factor of his success?

I personally think that it has contributed to his success because, and no disrespect to Punk as a wrestler and mic worker, I think he's great but he's a small guy and has only been in the WWE for 4 years and he's won: 3 World Titles, ECW Title, Intercontinental Champion and a Tag Team Title which is very impressive for a short span of time. Again I'm not belittling his ability but I honestly think him being Straight Edge has has something to do with his success.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,598 Posts
Who knows, but at the same time his mic skills and in ring ability account for something as well, as well as his charisma. The fact that he is straight-edge, well that's just his way of life, If he wasn't straight-edge I still think he would be where he is today. Except he wouldn't have had the Straight-Edge Society

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Well, if it kept him off drugs and steroids and whatnot, then that had to give him a greater chance of succeeding. We've seen guys before on the cusp of main eventing and then get suspended for wellness policy violations and it totally derails their wrestling career.

Having said that, I'd be willing to bet if you put a camera on CM punk 24 hours a day, you'd catch him popping the occasional aspirin or painkiller, especially now while he's injured, so there's really no way he's 100% sticking to straight edge as long as he's wrestling and taking bumps.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
It's definitely helped him develop a unique heel gimmick which has ultimately been a success.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
I think it may have had them push him a bit quicker, but eventually he would have succeeded.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well it's pretty obvious; yes it has.

That, luck, and charisma are the 3 things that make him a superstar.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a Punk mark, which I'm honestly not in the least, I'm actually surprised he hasn't had more success by now. I always thought that if you have a guy on your hands who lives a completely clean lifestyle, presumably even where painkillers are concerned, then you should make every effort to make that guy one of the stars of the show - not just as a good image for the public, but also to set an example to everybody else backstage.

Then again, it seems they know he's completely reliable and right now he's basically just being used as a guy who could step straight back into the main event at any point and it wouldn't be questioned or rejected by the fans.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
It definately has. I love Punk, but he wouldn't be a world champion if it wasn't for his lifestyle. He was being used horribly on ECW, then Morrison gets suspended and he wins the title after his, like, 10'th failed title opportunity. Then Jeff Hardy is supposed to win the MITB, and he gets suspended, and they MIGHT have given it to Kennedy a second time, since he got injured his first time and couldn't cash in, but he was suspended the prior summer along with Morrison, so Punk was, by default the safest choice. It was basically at that point that Vince realized what an asset it was to have somebody like him that can always be counted on. Then he got the MITB a second time, and they put him in a fued with Jeff Hardy where his gimmick could fully come out.

I still think it's more than likely, however, that if Punk wasn't Straight Edge and hadn't experienced all this good fortune because of it, he could still become a world champion in the future. I mean, no disrespect to him, but if The Miz can do it, that pretty much means it's wide open for just about anybody.

·
HOW BOUT THEM GIANTS
1,446 Posts
Well, if it kept him off drugs and steroids and whatnot, then that had to give him a greater chance of succeeding. We've seen guys before on the cusp of main eventing and then get suspended for wellness policy violations and it totally derails their wrestling career.

Having said that, I'd be willing to bet if you put a camera on CM punk 24 hours a day, you'd catch him popping the occasional aspirin or painkiller, especially now while he's injured, so there's really no way he's 100% sticking to straight edge as long as he's wrestling and taking bumps.

Just because you are straight edge doesn't mean you don't take aspirin or things. I know plenty of edge kids who taken meds when prescribed to them. it all depends on what type of edge you are

·
Banned
4,730 Posts
CM Punk being straight edge has contributed to his overall success as a wrestler in any promotion. It's a ready made gimmick for him.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Definitely. Pyro summed it up too.

It makes him unique to all the other heels in the company, as he can really push forward the idea and garner some heat for it. Of course, his charisma, mic skills AND in-ring skills count for something too.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
It's obviously contributed to his gimmick but not neccessarily his success. I think it's his charisma, mic work and ring work that has brought him success.

It's almost a bit difficult to market for the WWE as a good thing, as even though he doesn't drink or do drugs etc - he has the look of a meth addicted guitar player from Seattle in 1992.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Just after the Benoit incident (or was it the steroids scandal with all those guys getting suspended? I can't remember) they pushed Punk to his first WWE Title. That kind of thing helps, for Vince to be on some news show and say "Well our World Champion is straight edge, so...."
♠Chip♠;9087363 said:
It's definitely helped him develop a unique heel gimmick which has ultimately been a success.
This.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It makes him more marketable definitely. He is one of the few wrestlers in the current WWE roster who did the old formula of take who you are, and turn it way the hell up. Works very well for him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts