Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was this a case of CM Punk shooting his mouth off? Or, was there actual bad blood between DBry and Shawn Michaels?

Punk's entire comment: I hear you guys all the time talking about Daniel Bryan, trained by Shawn Michaels. One curious thing to me is, how come you guys never mention William Regal? William Regal did the real work with this young man. Shawn Michaels took $3,000 from him, that's all he ever did.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Was this a case of CM Punk shooting his mouth off? Or, was there actual bad blood between DBry and Shawn Michaels?

Punk's entire comment: I hear you guys all the time talking about Daniel Bryan, trained by Shawn Michaels. One curious thing to me is, how come you guys never mention William Regal? William Regal did the real work with this young man. Shawn Michaels took $3,000 from him, that's all he ever did.
Pretty sure I heard a few years ago DB say that Michaels didn't teach him much. I'll try and remember where I heard / read it.

·
Administrator
59,116 Posts
It's true. Regal was Bryan's main trainer. HBK did a little for Bryan but nothing compared to Regal. The reason Regal's not mentioned in the storyline is because he's not a big star, and HBK simply has more relevance in this storyline being Triple H's best friend.

·
FOURTEEN TIMES, THE GAME
6,805 Posts
The thread title made me think Shawn had taken $3,000 from Punk.

But yeah, unfortunately Regal isn't a big enough name to be put in this angle. Too bad.

·
Nihilistic Mystics
6,005 Posts
Yeah this is pretty much true, been said and confirmed by all parties involved more than once.

But it is what it is. This is an entertainment business and HBK is the special ref in a PPV. It's no surprise they have pushed him as the main trainer for one of the people involved in the match.

And I don't think there is any bad blood at all between Bryan and HBK or Punk and HBK. It really wasn't a controversial thing to say. Bryan himself has said similar things. It's no big deal, really.

·
Locker Room Leader
12,168 Posts
Old news. Quit trying to start another Punk marks vs Punk haters thread OP.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
52,532 Posts
Thread on this every week, and people still can't get it right.

Bryan interview from June 2012:

"I went and got trained by Shawn Michaels. It's very important, we say in WWE, to get professionally trained if you're going to do this. Don't try this at home, it's very dangerous. Well, you didn't really talk to him at first because you're still a little awe-struck. We're all there early -- I think the first class started at 9 AM or something -- and were all there at like 8 o'clock. I'm nervous because I don't know anything about what this is going to entail. Shawn just strolled in, casually, 5 minutes before 9 and he was really laid back.

"You could see that he's kind of eying us up, kind of, 'what do I got here?' He's clearly not looking at me like, 'This guy's our superstar potential.' [Laughs.] But when you really start to know Shawn and relate to him, he's really fun. It's interesting looking back at it, because he would sort of let us take cracks at him a little bit.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
It's just for stripy line guys, you can't make fun out of people who make kayfabe comments about cena then believe this crap and Punk said that on RAW commentary back in 2010 when it was kayfabe.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
Rudy Boy Gonzalez did most of the actual training at HBK's school IIRC.

·
52,532 Posts
More:

Daniel Bryan, who was trained by WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels, told this story about almost killing the Heartbreak Kid during his training:

“One night I nearly killed Shawn Michaels. This was before his return from his back injury. I was trying to do a thing where I’d spring off the second rope onto the top rope, spin and do a hurricanrana. Keep in mind, at the time I was 175 pounds, and that’s a lot of weight to land on somebody’s shoulders.

“I was trying to do it on Brian Kendrick, and it wasn’t working. We thought Brian was too small. He was probably 150 pounds at the time. Shawn watched us do it a couple of times, and he got in the ring and wanted to do it with me. I go to do the hurricanrana, land on him and he ends up landing right on his head and rolls right out of the ring. We all freaked out. That was the night I nearly killed Shawn Michaels.”.

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Yeah, Shawn taking the credit is wrong. Regal, Gonzalez and Nagata did more for Bryan than Shawn ever did.

·
52,532 Posts
There are other stories Bryan has told about HBK training him, as well. Pretty easy to find. I just posted two that were very easy to find.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
London and Kendrick also mentioned HBK not being there. Said most of their training was done by Rudy Boy Gonzalez.
Masada (Indy wrestler who trained at TWA too) said the same thing. Michaels wasn't there nearly as much as Rudy Boy.

But like it's been said, I don't mind it as it makes more sense to have HBK be the main trainer for Bryan storyline wise than lets say Regal, though he has history with HHH too.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts