Wrestling Forum banner

Do you agree that the return of Punk is complete and utter Flop so far?

1 - 20 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seriously, it's been 2 months since he debuted and what has he done during this time?
All he did was go out and read dull and borring promos about how awesome AEW is and what awesome fans they have; he squashed no-name low cards jobbers on a second-rate show that no one watches or just sat blankly and commented the show. Seriously? Did they bring Punk back just to be a commentator or what? Why didn't he take part in any serious feud for 2 full months? they just don't know what to do with him at all!
Imagine what it would be like if Punk returned to the WWE and all he did was read empty promos about how he liked the new WWE and how he loves the fans, after which he would had a matches with the likes of Ricochet, Cedric Alexander, Dolph Ziggler and Angel Garza and then he would be a commentator on RAW? AEW fans would rip it apart! Punk's return is the biggest disappointment in wrestling in the last 6 years by a mille!
Seriously, what's next? He will start having matches on Dark and Elavation because why the fuck not right?

·
Ho!
19,001 Posts
Not at all. It's not as amazing as it maybe could've been, but certainly not a flop. Great promos and matches consistently, even with a pretty basic character at this point and no story. He's done well so far.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Well it was expected. Punks biggest asset was being able to call out backstage bs politics and in AEW he can’t do that as it would essentially burry the entire show .

And he can’t just go out in AEW and talk direct crap about wwe so what does he have left besides that? Ring skills? Others can do it just as well or better. Outside of wrestling accomplishments? If you can call being the worst ufc fighter of all time an accomplishment… and he isn’t a freak of nature like Brock or even someone like Batista or Goldberg where he looks like a big deal just by standing in the middle of the ring.

He also can’t talk down on the younger guys becuase when he was younger he was ripping the older guys up for taking space and being paid more, I remember him making a huge deal that Taker got paid more for their WM match when punk did most of the ring work- and now it’s punk that’s being carried by the younger guys while getting paid a lot more than them..

So even as far as mic work goes his options are limited due to what he used to say in the past.

I am fully expecting him to keep disappointing but I am also glad becuase people kept saying how huge of a star he is and how in AEW he will take stuff to the next level

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
i agree with OP i am a huge cm punk fan he was my favorite wrestler for awhile all the way back to his roh days but this just feels like phil brooks in wrestling gear who is just happy to be there not someone who is a game changing acquisition where is the character work,the epic promos but instead he is wrestling lower card talent

imagine if when edge returned after 9 years away he just started wrestling guys like ziggler and jinder mahal while just smiling and shaking fans hands

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Jeez... Give it time.

If he was booked like Goldberg, Lesnar and The Undertaker have been during WM season or at big 4 shows. You just end up in a situation where the part timer becomes the star. As it they have a world class performer with name recognition. It will have more impact once they pull the trigger on a storyline or character development.

Meanwhile Darby, Sammy and Hangman are being pushed as or towards being legit headliners.

·
Premium Member
The King Of Rants
11,298 Posts
Well it was expected. Punks biggest asset was being able to call out backstage bs politics and in AEW he can’t do that as it would essentially burry the entire show .
Punk's biggest asset is his microphone ability and the vitriol he can spew. Pissed off Punk is what people want it doesn't necessarily have to be related to backstage stuff or authority injustices although I would agree that he was probably at his best in WWE doing that. He is also a much better heel than a face, I understand he needed to debut as a face but he should be close to turning heel now.

Look at the heat he gets here by just being an absolute cunt and antagonising people. That's the CM Punk you want and imagine it with an AEW audience. Imagine the hatred he would get if he said he fleeced Tony and only came back for the money and he'll take it easy because he doesn't give a fuck?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm not satisfied with it. And the fans who say "just wait" or "LONG TERM STORYTELLING", no. I'm not down with long term storytelling that's boring the shit out of me. That's an excuse that persists with the AEW fans (even itt) that are just satisfied with anything put out by them. Punk's character atm is shit and long term storytelling isn't redeemable if it isn't compelling.

·
Registered
14,418 Posts
I was against his signing, but actually have dug his handling and booking so far. It's a slow burn, but the guy has been gone for seven years so it makes sense kayfabe that he'd want to ease in rather than being dropped into the title scene. I like the happy warrior Punk as well, he can't be bitter pissed off Punk because why would that guy have even came back?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
They have managed to get me to lose interest in him way faster than I thought possible. His ratings on each Rampage also go down every single week which tells me I'm not the only one losing interest in this return.

I hate to play this card, but in this case I think it's true. If WWE booked CM Punk's return this exact same way, all the people defending it right now would be trashing it. Some of that is fine, considering AEW has built up more trust at this point. But man, AEW fans give them so much more leeway than they do WWE

·
Premium Member
The King Of Rants
11,298 Posts
I'm not satisfied with it. And the fans who say "just wait" or "LONG TERM STORYTELLING", no. I'm not down with long term storytelling that's boring the shit out of me. That's an excuse that persists with the AEW fans (even itt) that are just satisfied with anything put out by them. Punk's character atm is shit and long term storytelling isn't redeemable if it isn't compelling.
I remember when Kenny won the belt and was doing the belt collector thing the guys here kept saying "BE PATIENT GUYS! THIS WILL BE THE BIGGEST ANGLE IN WRESTLING!" and it never really became much of anything.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
Punk's biggest asset is his microphone ability and the vitriol he can spew. Pissed off Punk is what people want it doesn't necessarily have to be related to backstage stuff or authority injustices although I would agree that he was probably at his best in WWE doing that. He is also a much better heel than a face, I understand he needed to debut as a face but he should be close to turning heel now.

Look at the heat he gets here by just being an absolute cunt and antagonising people. That's the CM Punk you want and imagine it with an AEW audience. Imagine the hatred he would get if he said he fleeced Tony and only came back for the money and he'll take it easy because he doesn't give a fuck?
i don't recall punk being in thee wwe after his roh stint

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
It has been bad. Same as Bryan's run. The buzz both brought? Already gone.

I don't care for Edge, and can't stand the WWE, but compare his return to Punk's. It's night and day. Edge came back and immediately went into a blood feud with a star. That's how you book big stars making a comeback.

Same with Shawn Michaels back in 2002. He came back to WWEs biggest angle at the time - the nWo flop - and then immediately went into a blood feud with a star.

Punk's return is a joke so far.

·
rasslin
9,077 Posts
Not a complete flop because Punks ability in the ring and on the mic are still there but he’s being used very poorly. If you were to tell a wrestling fan that CM Punk would return to wrestling but have no feuds and only wrestle at 10 pm on a Friday night, they wouldn’t believe you.

1 - 20 of 294 Posts