Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/11/cm-punk-reportedly-turned-down-a-lot-of-money-from-aew-662154/
CM Punk reportedly turned down significant money from AEW, according to Bryan Alvarez on Wrestling Observer Live.

Punk did actually have talks with AEW, despite what has been said in the media, and he met in person with AEW President & CEO Tony Khan, according to Alvarez. There's no word yet on details of AEW's offer, but Khan reportedly offered "a lot of money" to the former WWE Champion.

There's been no update on Punk possibly returning to the ring for WWE, but turning down the AEW deal could be a sign that he has no plan for an in-ring future.

Punk is signed to a FOX deal, not WWE. It's been reported that Punk's agents contacted FOX a few months back, which led to the initial tryout in Los Angeles, where the show is filmed each week. WWE did give their blessing to the hire, but this was a FOX decision.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Alvarez knows jack. He,s trying to pretend he knows but doesnt want to give out the full details. "He was offered ALOOT of money" name the sum if you know so much then hmm

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Guy wants to be an announcer - fair play to him

He will have no value as an announcer in AEW - so, fair is fair

But ‘yes’ - he obvs lied about the ‘text’ offer

May this be the last punk thread in AEW

·
Registered
660 Posts
All I wanted to know was that Tony Kahn was agressive. Fantastic news, perhaps we dodged a bullet but man, if Punk did actually sign and was actually motivated...AEW would have been perfect.

Either way, Im excited to watch MJF, Hangman, Sammy G, Luchasauras, Darby Allin, PnP, Scorpio Sky, etc...all become household names.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I don't think Punk lied about the text. Maybe he twisted the truth a bit, but I doubt he'd make it up like that. Anyways, let him be happy. Plus, this could all be fake news.
I’m guessing like all stories, the truth is in the middle - he most likely got a text and there was a meeting

C’est la vie

My only hope is, when the time comes, Daniel Bryan makes the jump

·
Best Post Machine
566 Posts
I'm sick of his primadonna shtick. Wrestling is about the connection between the fans and the wrestlers, and he's continually shown that he really couldn't give a quantum of a damn about that.

Anywhere he goes, the discussion just becomes about him. It's frankly getting old.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I love how most of you just automatically assume this is true. Who knows maybe it is but no concrete dollar amounts stated, no place where they met, there is literally nothing other than "reportedly they met in person".

Keep in mind wrestling "journalists" don't exactly have the best track record of reporting the truth (of course neither do "real" journalists but that's a subject for another time) throughout the years.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I saw an interview with him and the text thing definitely seems legit. The interviewer misspoke and Punk looked shocked that they would deny they texted him an offer. I imagine that was an initial offer and they tried to again later and did it more professionally.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Maybe he just wants the easy life.

Low stress, no physical punishment, decent regular paycheck, very low level of commitment.
Pretty much. Some on here just totally forget the fact he's signed with Fox not WWE, no way they would have debuted him on that show. It would have been Smackdown. He's doing something he wants to do, that's presenting. Not having to do deal with HHH (I bet he won't appear when Punk is on, and vice versa) or Vince. He only works part time and makes a decent pay day. Good on him.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I saw an interview with him and the text thing definitely seems legit. The interviewer misspoke and Punk looked shocked that they would deny they texted him an offer. I imagine that was an initial offer and they tried to again later and did it more professionally.
Cody said there were text, but there was also a meeting

IMO Cody’s word > Punk’s

I know the interview you watched - he thought they denied sending him a text (which interviewer cleared up that they didn’t deny it) - then they just glossed over ‘there was never a meeting’

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,369 Posts
He might have a deal with Fox, but he's still on a WWE show. It makes him look like a hypocrite just being there. At least if he had a match or two, it might even be worth it. But just for something like Backstage? Ugh, would have been better if he stayed gone.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts