Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,063 Posts
What was close then? I'd like to see the promo that topped it in your mind or promos, since it's nowhere near being close to the best this decade lol
Punk's contract negotiations with Vince almost immediately after this or his box with god promo against the Rock immediately come to mind, as do a number of Paul Heyman promos. This wasn't all that special of a promo. It's main significance came from what it meant going forward not just for Punk but for the WWE at that point, and the excellent follow up that it had. As an actual promo itself, it wasn't anything special.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I actually remember scrolling through this place back then, waay before I was a member and many people in the comments actually believe it was real because this was the fred flintstone pg cena show and something like that hadnt happend since the late 90s.

·
Unpaid Idiot
834 Posts
I don't know. I'm not Punk, not Vince and not ever been employed by WWE, so I have no idea if it was scripted or not.

But I think it was a worked shoot, in that, Punk would have run it past Vince first, giving the bullet points of the promo, including the mic getting cut off. Punk was one of the few they could trust with an open mic, so I think that's why it wasn't scripted, but it wasn't a 100% shoot either.

·
@delecast
4,405 Posts
In the entire history of wrestling? No way. What did it actually achieve? I mean, Punk’s entire ‘main event’ run was just a flash in the pan in the grand scheme of things. Just because his title reign was long doesn’t mean he was anything more than a transitional champion whose sole job was to keep the title away from Cena until Cena could beat the Rock for it at Wrestlemania. He wasn’t even a main event performer for most of his run - just a midcard wrestler with a title belt, while the usual suspects continued to close the shows.

It’s not as if his promo had any long term impact beyond Punk’s reign, either. It didn’t make wrestling cool again. It didn’t change anything. The WWE kept delivering an increasingly awful product with intermittent moments of hope that ultimately led nowhere. It was a good promo, sure, but it isn’t significant in the slightest.
It really did, though. Punk calling out "maybe I'll go defend (the belt) in NJPW; maybe I'll go back to Ring of Honor" really rang true the the years that followed. Most notably, Cody Rhodes left WWE to go perform in NJPW and ROH and really gained a ton of steam.

Not even close, but it was without question one of WWE's most talked about moments.
The only promo that is better than the Pipe Bomb is the Austin 3:16 promo imo. Just because Vince didn't know what to do with Punk and HHH had an inverse hard on for Punk doesn't make Punk's run any less significant.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Probably Vince and HHH edited some lines of the script, Punk was never anti WWE he was just tired of not getting the Mania Main Event if Vince let him have it he would never retire.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts