Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was scripted.

Do people believe it wasn’t?

“Let me tell you a personal story about Vince McMahon”.. tap tap tap on the mic. Cmon.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah I think it was scripted.

What about Mae Young giving birth to a hand?

No way that was in the script. Who gives birth to a hand and what happened to her baby?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I think this has been covered in huge detail, to the point where we know that is wan't "scripted", but the subjects and overall meaning of what Punk would say were discussed and agreed upon beforehand - up to even having the "OK" to say "Hi" to Colt Cabana.

The fact that people still talk about it now shows how good it was, scripted, planned, worked, or not.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
"I powerbombed you to make wresting cool again?" Sorry Kev, but it was the guy you powerbombed that made wrestling cool again, for a brief time but still you're wrong again

·
FOTC
10,466 Posts
The most significant promo in the history of wrestling. That promo slowly turned the vocal minority into the majority. I've always said this about CM Punk -- all he needed to get over was a microphone.

·
Premium Member
43,784 Posts
One question I've always wanted to know though...

What was that personal story about Vince McMahon he was going to tell before he got cut off?

Or is it like Judd Nelson's unfinished Naked Blonde joke from The Breakfast Club...there is no answer. It was something he said in the moment to carry the scene but never really had any kind of conclusion on its own.

·
Banned
884 Posts
The most significant promo in the history of wrestling. That promo slowly turned the vocal minority into the majority. I've always said this about CM Punk -- all he needed to get over was a microphone.
In the entire history of wrestling? No way. What did it actually achieve? I mean, Punk’s entire ‘main event’ run was just a flash in the pan in the grand scheme of things. Just because his title reign was long doesn’t mean he was anything more than a transitional champion whose sole job was to keep the title away from Cena until Cena could beat the Rock for it at Wrestlemania. He wasn’t even a main event performer for most of his run - just a midcard wrestler with a title belt, while the usual suspects continued to close the shows.

It’s not as if his promo had any long term impact beyond Punk’s reign, either. It didn’t make wrestling cool again. It didn’t change anything. The WWE kept delivering an increasingly awful product with intermittent moments of hope that ultimately led nowhere. It was a good promo, sure, but it isn’t significant in the slightest.

·
Registered
937 Posts
It was a good promo, but it wasn't one of the best ever. It didn't lead to anything particularly great like Hogan's promo when he joined the NWO or Austin's KOTR 1996 promo. Neither was it as entertaining as Rock's promos in 1999 or 2003 or Flair's promos in the 80s.

All it really did was stir up the smarks and make them more vocal. Which wasn't really a positive thing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It was scripted but it felt so real because Punk believed in everything he said back then including, him feeling he was inderpushed, that we should have been in Mania's main event, Triple h being a twat and WWE getting better after Vince's death. In fact a lot of stuff Punk said in Cabana's podcast was exactly the same he said in that promo.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Scripted or not, it was by far the best promo delivered on the WWE stage in the past decade.
Not even close, but it was without question one of WWE's most talked about moments.
What was close then? I'd like to see the promo that topped it in your mind or promos, since it's nowhere near being close to the best this decade lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts