Wrestling Forum banner

cm punk moveset then and now

3629 30
damn remember punks indy moveset was so good compare to what he does now :(

pepsi twist, devil lock ddt just to name a few

wonder why he doesnt use then if its wwe stoped him or he choose to,

i know wwe didnt want the pepsi plunge to be used and punk was happy as it was hurting his knees
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
The PP was because of his knee's. I swear thats been asked a million times now. If my history serves right, he was using it less and less in his pre-WWE days anyway.

I think a lot of why he changed was because his opponents changed. The ROH wrestlers are more technically gifted, and less ... massive than those in WWE. So in order to still resemble a legitamite threat, he had to change his style around a little. And there is a good chance that some of his less athletic opposition may have struggled to fit in with his style. WWE wrestlers conform pretty heavily to the "Hard Slammin'" American style (for the most part), and I don't think many Indy feds/wrestlers try and compete in that way. No 90 minute ironman matches in WWE guys.

Also I heard it was rumored that certain moves in WWE are banned, such as piledrivers and a few top rope moves. Could be that forced him to freshen up.

Besides, starting in WWE was a chance for him to reinvent himself, as those that followed him in his indy days would be a relatively small portion of the fanbase.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
I would guess- partly the restrictive WWE-style, partly gimmick (the muay thai focus), and partly the additional toll on the body from aging and wrestling and travelling much further, and much more frequently. Also a good chance that he just wanted to change up, and of course, the fact that wrestling for the WWE is always going to be different to wrestling in the indys.

All just conjecture, obviously, but I do miss the Pepsi Twist.

·
Banned
3,179 Posts
As far as I ever heard Punk was given the green light by Vince to use the Pepsi Plunge but Punk himself decided against it due to his knees.

It would be kind of cool to see him do it at least once every couple of months though.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Chances are we'll see a Pepsi Plunge whenever Punk feuds with HHH.
Not even a close chance ,a wrestler other than HHH will never use a pedigree never mind a top rope one as a finisher.

CM Punk had to change his moveset because he worked an Indy style ,he had to learn the WWE style as did numerous other wrestler's Bryan ,Kaval and I expect Rollins too.It makes more sense considering how much they are on the road and preforming and a lot of the moves preformed are far more dangerous than any moves in WWE .

I knew we where never gonna see this Ghetto stop again by Kaval.

·
Banned
428 Posts
I like the GTS, but sometimes he seems sloppy doing it, and it doesn't look convincing. I haven't really noticed if he has trouble doing it crisply to bigger, heavier guys, or if it's just random.

He's one of my fave guys though. When he did that promo on Cena and did the "you can't see my" hand think I laughed so hard.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I like the GTS, but sometimes he seems sloppy doing it, and it doesn't look convincing. I haven't really noticed if he has trouble doing it crisply to bigger, heavier guys, or if it's just random.

He's one of my fave guys though. When he did that promo on Cena and did the "you can't see my" hand think I laughed so hard.
Its because the other ken doll frat boys in the locker room wont take it.Anyway,he's too talented to be just a wannabe KENTA-he even stole that combo of his fpalm.While he was in the indies he even wore the same attire(that was just sad,talk about a man crush)

Anyway,here is what a Go To Sleep looks like when performed by his inventor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk1jkYeRQb8

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Yes it was better then, but he had to change his moveset because most WWE wrestlers wouldn't be able to sell the moves and make them look as impressive as the ROH stars.
This isn't true at all ,some of the Wrestlers in WWE could even sell some of the moves better.:confused:

I just want to see the Anaconda Vice return if anything.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
i like the new submission better lol

what makes punk so special is he can bust out new moves any match i like that he does'nt use a move for awhile so when he uses it again it feels fresh and special rather than using the same move every match

·
Registered
401 Posts
i like the new submission better lol

what makes punk so special is he can bust out new moves any match i like that he does'nt use a move for awhile so when he uses it again it feels fresh and special rather than using the same move every match
its not new,its just a Koji clutch,he did it combined with Reverse STO as a hommage to Christopher Daniels-probably IMHO

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.