Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On when C.M. Punk decided he wanted to become a professional wrestler: "I don't know when I consciously made that decision. It's something that I've always done. There was never any moment where I was, 'I'm doing this and I don't like this so I'm doing this.' I always wrestled. So, it was always there.

"I remember watching Roddy Piper on TV when I was a kid and it was like, 'Wow. This guy smashes people in the face, talks trash and he gets away with it.' And I assumed that everyone I saw on television was just a multi-millionaire. So, I thought that it looks like a fun job, so let's do it.

"[Financially, I had to make a decision to completely pursue wrestling] 100%. The last real world job was I was a lab tech and Underwriters Laboratory in Northbrook, Illinois. It was a legit job, you know -- benefits, strict hours. I always had other jobs to support my wrestling habit which is what we like to say.

"One day, I may or may not have been sleeping at my desk and one day my boss walked in, and I tried to pretend I was doing something. I had this look on my face and I was like, 'Ohh. I'm fired, aren't I?' ... You can't see it because it's radio, obviously, but I had this big grin on my face. I was just like, 'Sweet.'

"After that, it was full-court press. That was like the beginning of 2002. It was full-court press. I got a certain amount of severance and I was just going to go for it. I picked up my bags and I moved to Philly. A lot of the work was on the East coast so if I was in Philly, I could drive to New York. I could go everywhere. It just kind of blossomed from there."

On what made him decide to live his life straight edge:
"That's a pretty typical question because people always wonder if I was dependent on alcohol or drugs and is straight edge what keeps me sober. No. What I always tell people is I was born this way.

"For me, it's not a lifestyle. I think going out and partying and getting drunk every night. That's a lifestyle. That's insane. This is just who I am. It's who I've always been. ... I just never saw a reason to drink, I suppose."

His favorite Vince McMahon story: "Well, we recently had the Hall of Fame come out -- I didn't see it -- but Edge was being inducted. He was the big inductee this year. He told a story and he neglected to mention I was a part of it shockingly enough.

"I had been on the road for maybe 5 or 6 months and I got the call -- spur of the moment. 'Hey, someone's injured, somebody's suspended.' I don't know -- whatever. 'You're going to Iraq.' 'Oh, OK. Cool. I'll pack my bags.'

"So, we go over to Iraq and the sleeping arrangements were hilarious. I was thrown in a room -- it was a five star, because I don't know if we have any five star generals -- but it was the biggest general. He was in our room. It was; me, JBL, The Undertaker, Edge and Vince McMahon. Legit bunking. I was on the top bunk and JBL was on the bottom.

"To the right of me was Vince McMahon and I think we let him have his own bunk and the the left of me was The Undertaker and I think Edge was top bunk and there's a giant bed in the middle. These are giant, palatial estates. This was Sadam's palace. There was one giant bed in the room and we gave it to the general, obviously. It was his show.

On when C.M. Punk decided he wanted to become a professional wrestler: "I don't know when I consciously made that decision. It's something that I've always done. There was never any moment where I was, 'I'm doing this and I don't like this so I'm doing this.' I always wrestled. So, it was always there.

"I remember watching Roddy Piper on TV when I was a kid and it was like, 'Wow. This guy smashes people in the face, talks trash and he gets away with it.' And I assumed that everyone I saw on television was just a multi-millionaire. So, I thought that it looks like a fun job, so let's do it.

"[Financially, I had to make a decision to completely pursue wrestling] 100%. The last real world job was I was a lab tech and Underwriters Laboratory in Northbrook, Illinois. It was a legit job, you know -- benefits, strict hours. I always had other jobs to support my wrestling habit which is what we like to say.

"One day, I may or may not have been sleeping at my desk and one day my boss walked in, and I tried to pretend I was doing something. I had this look on my face and I was like, 'Ohh. I'm fired, aren't I?' ... You can't see it because it's radio, obviously, but I had this big grin on my face. I was just like, 'Sweet.'

"After that, it was full-court press. That was like the beginning of 2002. It was full-court press. I got a certain amount of severance and I was just going to go for it. I picked up my bags and I moved to Philly. A lot of the work was on the East coast so if I was in Philly, I could drive to New York. I could go everywhere. It just kind of blossomed from there."

On what made him decide to live his life straight edge: "That's a pretty typical question because people always wonder if I was dependent on alcohol or drugs and is straight edge what keeps me sober. No. What I always tell people is I was born this way.

"For me, it's not a lifestyle. I think going out and partying and getting drunk every night. That's a lifestyle. That's insane. This is just who I am. It's who I've always been. ... I just never saw a reason to drink, I suppose."

His favorite Vince McMahon story: "Well, we recently had the Hall of Fame come out -- I didn't see it -- but Edge was being inducted. He was the big inductee this year. He told a story and he neglected to mention I was a part of it shockingly enough.

"I had been on the road for maybe 5 or 6 months and I got the call -- spur of the moment. 'Hey, someone's injured, somebody's suspended.' I don't know -- whatever. 'You're going to Iraq.' 'Oh, OK. Cool. I'll pack my bags.'

"So, we go over to Iraq and the sleeping arrangements were hilarious. I was thrown in a room -- it was a five star, because I don't know if we have any five star generals -- but it was the biggest general. He was in our room. It was; me, JBL, The Undertaker, Edge and Vince McMahon. Legit bunking. I was on the top bunk and JBL was on the bottom.

"To the right of me was Vince McMahon and I think we let him have his own bunk and the the left of me was The Undertaker and I think Edge was top bunk and there's a giant bed in the middle. These are giant, palatial estates. This was Sadam's palace. There was one giant bed in the room and we gave it to the general, obviously. It was his show.

It was just one of those moments where I'm just laying there, thinking of how bizarre my life is. I'm in a bunk bed with JBL and Vince McMahon is over here. All of a sudden, I just here someone let one out. Someone just farts. Then, you just hear, '[mimicking Vince's laugh.]' Now, I'm like, 'Wow, this is wild. I'm in a bunk bed and Vince is crapping his pants.

"What makes the story even better is that I woke up in the middle of the night and I had to pee so bad. I had crippling pee pains. So, it's pitch black, I'm not familiar with my surroundings and I'm trying to crawl off this bunk bed with waking up JBL. Everybody's snoring. Vince snores, 'Taker snores, JBL snores and I'm in Iraq. It was brutal. So, it was one of those what-am-I-doing-with-my-life kind of moments."

On whether or not a match between Punk and Steve Austin is likely to happen: "Well, I think everyone knows he's stated that if he came back for one more match, there's one guy he would do it with and it's me. It's immensely flattering. It puts me under a tremendous microscope, too. He's also recently said things like I need to up my intensity.

"I think that's just the 'Rattlesnake' trying to poke me and trying to stoke the fire so to speak. I'm going to be here, I'm not going anywhere. So, it's a matter of whether he wants to do it or not.

"I know a lot of planets got to align for it to happen. If it was in Dallas, yeah, that'd be great. He's a Texas *******. I'm a straight edge city boy. So, I think obviously it's a little oil and water. I think that's why people are fascinated by it. The characters -- they don't mix. Put C.M. Punk and 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin in a room together and both guys come out with black eyes and split lips. On paper, those two guys don't get along.

"I think it has way more potential than Rock and Cena. Sure, they had a little bit of an inflammatory rivalry but we haven't scratched the surface yet of what me and 'Stone Cold' could do.

"Is it possible? I'd say it is. Is it 100% going to happen? I can't say."
The videos are on the 2nd page. He comes off much better and less of an ass than he did on the interview I posted a few days ago.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2012/0612/553436/cm-punk/index-2.shtml

·
Banned
7,681 Posts
I agree with him that the feud have more potential of an actual feud than Rock/Cena . Promos and such.

But it doesn't have a cat chance in hell of drawing more money.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
But it doesn't have a cat chance in hell of drawing more money.
>WWE WrestleMania -- Austin vs Punk

Keywords:

WrestleMania, Austin, Punk.

People pay tickets to see Punk.
People pay tickets to see WrestleMania

And I'll be fucking damned if people wouldn't buy tickets to see Austin!

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
would have been funnier if vince did what he did and then shouted "join the smell my gas club"

·
Banned
7,681 Posts
>WWE WrestleMania -- Austin vs Punk

Keywords:

WrestleMania, Austin, Punk.

People pay tickets to see Punk.
People pay tickets to see WrestleMania

And I'll be fucking damned if people wouldn't buy tickets to see Austin!
If you put Stone Cold Vs CM Punk as the main selling point of Wrestlemania and is the big match, it won't draw more money than Cena/Rock. First Cena is WWE biggest star and Rock is a bigger star than Steve right now.

It wouldn't break WM 28 record. Just what I think.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Didnt Austin say he wanted some big star like lesnar or cena at mania coz punk cant give him the main event?

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think Austin v Punk would draw a lot of money, but The-Rock-Says is right. The Rock is a big movie stars, while Austin has not done much since leaving the WWE.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Austin/Punk is not happening, Austin basically said it in an interview and rightfully so, his return is a huge deal and needs to be against a real star, Lesnar/Taker caliber. If not, at his age and condition, simply not worth it. As for the program, has no potential, let alone to get the astronomical emotionally crowd investment of Rock/Cena. It's not going to draw big at all. They already did the boring SE gimmick with Jericho and it was horrendous.

·
Banned
7,681 Posts
Don't get me wrong, it would draw pretty good. Since it would be Steve's first match in 10 years (10 fucking years next Mania he wouldn't have had a match, FUCK time flies) and its at Mania.

Anyho, good interview.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Austin/Punk is not happening, Austin basically said it in an interview and rightfully so, his return is a huge deal and needs to be against a real star, Lesnar/Taker caliber. If not, at his age and condition, simply not worth it. As for the program, this program has no potential at all, let alone to get the astronomical emotionally crowd investment of Rock/Cena. It's not going to draw big at all. They already did the boring SE gimmick with Jericho and it was horrendous.
Seeing as Punk knows Austin and speaks to him, I think Punk is probably more correct than you when he says Austin said those things for Punk to step his game up. And if you think this program wouldn't work than you are more blind from your confirmation bias than I ever imagined.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Seeing as Punk knows Austin and speaks to him, I think Punk is probably more correct than you when he says Austin said those things for Punk to step his game up. And if you think this program wouldn't work than you are more blind from your confirmation bias than I ever imagined.
Austin could return against anyone.
Tensai, Slater, Bateman, Watson, fucking whats-his-face on NXT who's creepy and shit.

People would pay for it, and it would work.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
It was kind of a sample the feud Jericho & Cm PUNK had it's how I imagine austin treating CM PUNK ..stunning him then pouring beer on him type of thing

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
They already did this concept of the SE plenty of times. With JBL, Hardy, Jericho etc. Austin is too big to wrestle a guy like Punk in his return match. Let alone to start a feud based on the fact that Austin's character loved beer, no matter who is his opponent. Austin is a smart guy and retired perfectly almost 10 years ago, he's a businessman and I'm sure that he knows that it's not worth it for him in his age and condition. Austin, just like Rock has a big ego and wants to break records, Austin can do it with Lesnar, not with an upper mid card guy, that's just the way it is. Rock said it himself, the only person from this roster he could create this huge attraction is Cena and Austin knows this game.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts