Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
28,046 Posts
After reading the report, seems like there's a good chance of it happening.

Lol subscribe to the full story for what? Guarantee you it’s the most vague story of all time and there will be no mention of which company, how soon, etc.
I copied this from Squared Circle and it's a little more specific than what might think:

One of the biggest stars of wrestling in this century could be headed back to wrestling, if all goes well. CM Punk has been in ongoing talks for a return, sources tell Fightful.

Fightful Select learned last week that CM Punk has been in talks to make a return to pro wrestling as an in-ring performer, with sources indicating that AEW is the most likely landing point. We have no confirmation of a contract officially being signed, a timetable, a set return date, or any creative plans, only that Punk and a company official have had ongoing conversations about an in-ring return.

As with any negotiations, nothing is ever fully confirmed until the deal is actually done and the subject appears on screen.

We have heard of other companies having interest in Punk coming in to work after fans returned, but have not heard of any specific offers or overtures made towards him.

Fightful has not officially confirmed this report with CM Punk himself or All Elite Wrestling officials. We have been told in recent days that higher ups in WWE believe that Punk is headed to AEW.

Punk last wrestled in January 2014 for WWE, and was released later that year. In the years that followed, he pursued a career in mixed martial arts in the UFC, where he officially has an 0-1 record with 1 no contest. In addition to MMA, Punk has worked in commentary roles within the sport, and made his way into acting. He also appeared on WWE Backstage for approximately six months. Aside from his appearances on Backstage, he's only made two appearances in wrestling since leaving WWE -- both in very anonymous masked roles on the independent circuit

Source: Fightful

·
Registered
924 Posts
This report is similar to the PWI report on Daniel Bryan. There are people that have heard he is negotiating with a company and that WWE feels he is going to AEW. This report is a bit more concrete then the PWI one and I do trust Fightful, but they are both vague.

Also, does anyone think it is odd that both reports say WWE feels that these guys are going to AEW. Could WWE be putting these reports out there to hype people up and then when it doesn't happen, they are let down. I hate conspiracy theories, but I find it odd that people would get this stuff from inside WWE.

·
Illegitimate child of Robert 'Glorious' Roode
1,200 Posts

·
Hardcore Casual
1,613 Posts
Not going to lie, if both Punk and Bryan sign with AEW, that might be a major needle-mover.

Alternatively, I'd love to see Team Straight Edge & ******** (CM Punk, Stone Cold, AJ Styles, maybe Edge) vs. Tribe of Anoa'i (Roman, Rock, Usos) at Survivor Series. Then build that up to Royal Rumble and the singles matches at Wrestlemania. I'd tune in.

·
Registered
28,046 Posts
I know it's easy to dismiss reports like that and I have too.

But, I would say Sean Ross Sapp has become the #1 guy in wrestling news so if he's putting this out there, to the point where he's report that higher ups in WWE are expecting Punk in AEW, well, I believe there have been at least high level negotiations.

Maybe it's early hype but it does seem like there's a very good chance of it happening.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
15,164 Posts
Oh my God!

If they somehow sign, then I don’t know if my heart will be able to take BOTH of those men joining AEW 😂

I’m a huge fan of both CM Punk and Daniel Bryan!

·
Registered
924 Posts
This is going to sound weird, but if Punk doesn't acknowledge the report, it likely gives it more legs. Everytime one of these discussions comes up, he is pretty open and honest about what it would take for him to come back.

Also this would make three of the four Straight Edge Society members in AEW (Punk, Deeb and Gallows). Make a deal with ROH and you could get Mercury too (obviously kidding).

1 - 20 of 151 Posts