Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not even that big of a fan but damn this guy is good.
He makes a great heel and has that Jericho-ish honest/sarcastic vibe.

I haven't been very pleased with Raw for awhile but CM Punk saves the show everytime he gets on the mic imo

Reactions: WutChagoNAdoBrothA

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
He's very clear sounding and seems comfortable on the mic. A definite plus for any heel, especially in the position he is in now.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
I'm not doubting Punk's mic skills but his material recently is repetitive and boring. He could be saying exactly the same things to the SES that he's saying to Nexus now. In fact, the whole Nexus angle is just boring, repetitive and rehashed. We've already seen all this with Barrett. Why do it with Punk all over again?

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not doubting Punk's mic skills but his material recently is repetitive and boring. He could be saying exactly the same things to the SES that he's saying to Nexus now. In fact, the whole Nexus angle is just boring, repetitive and rehashed. We've already seen all this with Barrett. Why do it with Punk all over again?
I can see Punk having Mason Ryan as his muscle, it's been done by heels for years. But the rest of them are useless.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Miz says hello.
While I agree that he has mic skills, he overdoes his whole persona and is unbearable after talking for about 2 minutes.

Someone could argue that him being unbearable is part of his heel gimmick I guess.

Reactions: gilgamesh

·
Registered
934 Posts
He's a great public speaker and has amazing confidence in his own ability, I'll give him that. But honestly, his material DOES get repetitive and boring. It might not be a bad idea for CM Punk to make a catchphrase.

His saving grace on Raw has been the fact that he's so psychotic of a character that he is willing to hurt himself to get the job done. It's very refreshing and I am LOVING CM Punk and the new Nexus lately. I would love to see NN slowly turn into SES and CM Punk be the center of attention this year around, sorta' like Randy Orton 08.

·
Registered
53 Posts
While I agree that he has mic skills, he overdoes his whole persona and is unbearable after talking for about 2 minutes.

Someone could argue that him being unbearable is part of his heel gimmick I guess.
See that's what i'm talking about. A heel is only truly great when people truly hate their guts. That's what makes the Miz awesome.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
He's very clear sounding and seems comfortable on the mic. A definite plus for any heel, especially in the position he is in now.
I like CM Punk now the SES thing wasn't working for me....but 2011 will be CM Punks year.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See that's what i'm talking about. A heel is only truly great when people truly hate their guts. That's what makes the Miz awesome.
While Rock and Jericho were alot like Miz when they were heels, they could still make you laugh and entertain you.

All he can talk about is how awesome he is. It just gets repetitive and stale for me personally.

You couldn't predict exactly what Piper or Rock or Jericho were going to talk about when they came out every week.
All you knew was, it was going to be heelish, it was going to be funny, and that nobody was safe from their verbal abuse.

Miz says the same stuff every week.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Jericho was better and Barrett's getting up there, but a case can be made for Punk

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts
He's a great public speaker and has amazing confidence in his own ability, I'll give him that. But honestly, his material DOES get repetitive and boring. It might not be a bad idea for CM Punk to make a catchphrase.

His saving grace on Raw has been the fact that he's so psychotic of a character that he is willing to hurt himself to get the job done. It's very refreshing and I am LOVING CM Punk and the new Nexus lately. I would love to see NN slowly turn into SES and CM Punk be the center of attention this year around, sorta' like Randy Orton 08.
He's got a catchphrase - and a damn good one at that, they just rarely let him use it for some reason.

Anyway, this is basically common knowledge. Punk rocks the mic like a vandal. :side: Yeah, I just used a fucking Vanilla Ice line...I'm ashamed too. :no:

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
It's good to see someone else who got some sense to say this on this forum about CM Punk. It's kind of watching the SES all over again but hopefully Punk will lead a successful faction this time instead of being a joke and so far it appears things going well for him atm.

Nonetheless I will safely agree that CM Punk is no doubt the best mic worker in the business right now with my boy Michael Tarver come close second. Yes I just rated Tarver under CM Punk in mic ability, he is a smooth natural speaker and definitely get people attention.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
While Rock and Jericho were alot like Miz when they were heels, they could still make you laugh and entertain you.

All he can talk about is how awesome he is. It just gets repetitive and stale for me personally.

You couldn't predict exactly what Piper or Rock or Jericho were going to talk about when they came out every week.
All you knew was, it was going to be heelish, it was going to be funny, and that nobody was safe from their verbal abuse.

Miz says the same stuff every week.
I'm sorry but if you think the Miz is repetitive I really don't see how you can't say the same thing about Punk. Ever since Punk's heel turn he's been riding the EXACT same subject OVER and OVER again; "I'm better than you because I don't do drugs, smoke or drink alcohol! Boo me!".

It's only till recently that they've finally stopped with the overdone, 20 minute Punk preaching and have finally given him a real opponent to work the mic back and forth with.

And THANK GOD this feud isn't about his opponent "drinking beer" or "prescription medication". Seriously I think the WWE realized that Punk was becoming one dimensional if they kept on doing that and I'm sure they thought it was time to do something different with him hence him becoming the leader of Nexus.

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts
How is it like watching the SES? Punk hasn't mentioned Straight-Edge ONCE. Not one single time since he took over, in fact the only person who ever brought it up was Barrett for only about 2 seconds. In the SES, he couldn't go a sentence without giving another drug PSA rant.

The repetition argument is null and void anyway because it applies to everyone. You won't find anyone who doesn't repeat themselves, that's what a persona in wrestling IS. It's an act that you carry and recite constantly and that's the crowd's reason to invest in you.

·
Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
3,350 Posts
This, my friend, is what used to be considered X-Pac Heat (aka Go-Away Heat). It wasn't a good thing. During the Invasion angle, even though X-Pac was alligned with WWF and thus a face he was still booed and whoever his oppenent was cheered due to his character being hated overall by most fans.

Contrary to what you believe a true heel is, a heel is truely great if people are willing to pay in hopes of seeing him lose to a face. Currently, The Miz is a good heel with room to improve. He easily fits this definition. But if you look back at all the great heels of the past they were also good if not great babyfaces aswell. If you ask me, The Miz would have a hard time as a face and is a one-dimentional character as it stands now. In the past, I simply couldn't stand The Miz. For the most part that hasent changed. He has gotten better but IMO still has that annoying factor helping him get boos. Punk, while some find him boring and/or repeatative, has proven to excell as both heel and face, and has altered his character accordingly. The repeatativeness of his promos has a lot to do with the writers. You could say Jericho was becomming repeatative before he left and Triple H was surely repeatative back in the day.

The Miz's strengths do lie within his mic skills but, personally in a head to head battle would fall way short to Punk. Remember, Punk has had many more years in the indies and in the business in general.

·
Registered
934 Posts
CM Punk was repetitive in SES, but that's mainly because of what he had to work with over on SD! and the fact that it was going on for like 7 months.

On Raw during the road to WM, he will get such better booking it's not even funny. If CM Punk is repetitive than so is The Miz. It doesn't seem to matter, they get over because non-smarks genuinely dislike them.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts