Wrestling Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Attending Chris Jericho's Rager with Scott Steiner
6,418 Posts
I like how he threw himself in there for good measure. Proving once again how much he overvalues himself.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,152 Posts
Tell me one feud Eddie had that was better than Austin vs Hart? That didn't draw anything but it showcased Austin's talent and led to him becoming one the biggest draws in wrestling history. Drawing goes hand and hand with entertaining and Eddie was never 1/10th as entertaining as Austin was.

The only people who will say Eddie is better are the work rate idiots.
You just said Austin/Hart didn't draw while also saying how great of a feud it was. Yet you said that draw power and entertainment factor go hand in hand. That's completely contradictory.

·
B̴l̨e͡edįng͜ Sin ⛧
10,403 Posts
Tell me one feud Eddie had that was better than Austin vs Hart? That didn't draw anything but it showcased Austin's talent and led to him becoming one the biggest draws in wrestling history. Drawing goes hand and hand with entertaining and Eddie was never 1/10th as entertaining as Austin was.

The only people who will say Eddie is better are the work rate idiots.
And the only people who say Eddie isn't better are drawfags with absolutely no taste :booklel

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
You just said Austin/Hart didn't draw while also saying how great of a feud it was. Yet you said that draw power and entertainment factor go hand in hand. That's completely contradictory.
My point with Austin was his appeal goes well beyond the drawing argument because he's had iconic feuds in some of WWF's darkest days. Those feuds are what really built up his popularity. Matching the undisputed best technical wrestler back then and just lapping in regards to character.

Nobody draws overnight, but you see the end results with Austin. He brought an entertainment level to the company that has never been seen before. To sit there and compare it to Transformer movies is just beyond retarded. I can see the argument if you're talking about Hogan who really caught fire because of his role in Rocky 3 and was the 1st face of sports entertainment. You can't lump everyone into that.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
People rarely argue over facts dude, because they are facts and there isn't much to argue over. People always argue over opinions, it's what this forum is for:stupid:

Of course no one can say objectively "Eddie is the greatest wrestler ever". HOWEVER, Eddie is one of the few guys who can be objectively argued as the best to ever do it. At the very least, you can't argue that anyone is flat out better than Eddie was, just that you prefer other talents like HBK or Austin or Flair more. And that's totally fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's something as ridiculous as "Kurt Angle is better than Eddie", which will make most wrestling fans giggle/
Oh yeah, I agree with that. I totally flubbed my comment and it's wording, or lack there of. I should have written 'arguments over opinionated subjects without a real basis of comparing.' Like arguing over who the best ever is. Sure, everyone has their own opinion on the matter, but without a dead set "greatness" standard to measure every wrestler on, it goes no where. No one seems to be saying anything to change anyone's opinion or really changing their minds about read here.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Extremely hard to disagree with that.

Eddie was a once in a lifetime talent in my eyes.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I love Eddie, but I don't think I would put him above Austin in the ring. Austin's catalogue of matches far exceeds Eddie. I mean straight up classics in big time matches with guys like Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Foley, Rock, Triple H. I always felt when Eddie reached main event level his matches were not as good as they could have been. For example his matches with Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle were good but never reached that level of greatness they could have. I mean with all the matches he had with Angle in 04 none of them can stand against Austin's match with Kurt in Summerslam 01.

I think arguable both of their best years were in 1997, Eddie had amazing matches that year with Mysterio (Halloween Havoc), Jericho, Malenko, but even then Austin had the submission match with Bret, great matches, even in tag matches on RAW, with the likes of Owen and Michaels. I think Austin has performed at a much higher level than Eddie more consistently.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts

Neither Austin nor Angle could cut promos of that caliber. No gimmicks, no over-reliance on catchphrases, no swear words. Eddie was able to play both an endearing babyface and a ruthless heel with ease.

·
wrap
9,027 Posts
Guy is definitely in the conversation, he excelled in every aspect of pro wrestling. Fantastic worker, truly awesome promo, charisma through the roof, and had quite a great character.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
In terms of just pure talent, he's up there. I don't know if I would call him the greatest of all-time. To me a lot of things factor into that, besides just talent. To be honest someone's evaluation on talent is more subjective, but results are not. IMO, in order to claim that someone is the greatest of all-time you'd have to factor in the following:

- Drawing power( honestly the entire point of the business)
- Body of work
- Importance to the business, during their time
- Historical impact

In my eyes, you can only argue for Eddie in one category. I don't think Eddie is the GOAT worker. Shawn, Bret, and Flair did more to advance the importance of work-rate in main eventers. They helped to revolutionize the business in that aspect. Eddie was great, but he didn't revolutionize anything. I remember Eddie as a great talent, whose time got cut short due to unfortunate circumstances.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts