Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hogan, Austin, Rock, Undertaker, Bret, Savage, Angle...

Michaels, Ric Flair?

Respectfully, I disagree.

·
NO PAIN!
5,277 Posts
I absolutely love these arguments over OPINIONS.

People rarely argue over facts dude, because they are facts and there isn't much to argue over. People always argue over opinions, it's what this forum is for:stupid:

Of course no one can say objectively "Eddie is the greatest wrestler ever". HOWEVER, Eddie is one of the few guys who can be objectively argued as the best to ever do it. At the very least, you can't argue that anyone is flat out better than Eddie was, just that you prefer other talents like HBK or Austin or Flair more. And that's totally fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's something as ridiculous as "Kurt Angle is better than Eddie", which will make most wrestling fans giggle.

To Punk's credit, it's hard to argue with that statement.

As a total package, I would only put Stone Cold and maybe Flair in the same level as Eddie. He simply had it all.

Purely in-ring, Benoit is the only guy I would say is better than Eddie and even then, he didn't have the diversity that Eddie did in the ring. Eddie could play a sadistic heel, a comedic face and a sympathetic babyface as good as one another. Not many can do that so flawlessly.

This is pretty much my exact opinion on the matter to a T. As far as total packages in wrestling, Austin, Flair, and Eddie are the 3 guys who just had it all. Could work Face, could work heel, great promos, amazing ring work, tons of charisma, character that resonates....they had it all in spades.

Benoit is the only dude who rivaled/slightly surpassed Eddie if we are talking ring work alone, but like you said Benoit was behind Eddie in terms of working his character into matches and being able to work face/heel equally well. Eddie even says in his book that Benoit is the best worker ever, "the Ferrari that everyone wishes they could drive".

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
He was fucking great, no doubt about it, but I wouldn't attach anything "best ever" on him. I repeat, he was fucking GREAT, but best ever is a stretch. However, I do undertsand the mindset of those who think he was the best, I see where they come from, even if I don't agree with them.

Btw, there are actual people who think Angle was better than Eddie?

:wow

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
That's like saying. Bill Gates is the richest man ever, he was richer than Vince McMahon, he is richer than Donald Trump, he is richer than me (yeah, no shit)
Except Bill Gates isn't.

I disagree with Punk but it's his opinion.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Eddie was not a total package and without the unfortunate death would be seen no higher than Chris Jericho. There were a lot guys over in wrestling who had amazing in ring skills, great mic skills, charisma, great gimmick but that doesn't necessarily make you a total package because there are trivial things in wrestling that just matter like look, size, marketing.

Not hating on Eddie because he obviously was a great talent but realistically speaking he wasn't any more special than Jericho, Angle or Benoit and with the exception of Benoit's mic skills are every bit the total package that Eddie was. He's not the best ever. He's not top 20 either. No shame in that because there's been a sh** of talented individuals in wrestling.

·
NO PAIN!
5,277 Posts
Angle = GOAT
Eddie was great but it is annoying when some dies people go over the top. Eddie is nowhere best of all time. Kurt Angle was better than Eddie

Jesus Christ there are more of you. fpalmfpalmfpalm

I love how people are some how forgetting that even before Eddie died he was widely considered one of the best wrestlers ever. Flair says Eddie is one of the all time great performers in his book, which was written before Eddie died. Jericho says in an interview that was done before Eddie died "When Eddie is on, which was 95% of the time, nobody can touch him". Back in 1994-1995 when Heyman first introduced Eddie to the ECW locker room, he did it by saying "Hey guys I just wanted to introduce you to Eddy Guerrero, he's one of the very best performers in the entire world". This was in 1994-1995, before Eddie had even come close to reaching his potential. It wasn't a state secret that Eddie was great.

The thing is, the internet and having guys entire careers become suddenly easily accessible on sites like YouTube is why there is more support now for Eddie than ever. Now we can really go back and watch all of Eddie's work and fully appreciate how great he was.

That's what happened with Terry Funk for me. I always knew he was widely regarded as one of the best ever, but I just never saw much of him because he was before my time. Over the past year I've watched TONS of Terry Funk, and it's led me to believe he too is one of the all time greats. Does that mean that I'm only appreciating him because he doesn't wrestle anymore? Nope, it's just easier now than it has ever been to find a guys entire catalog and really dive into it.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Completely agree with Punk, Eddie was the best ever period.

A guy that could do it all. Honestly, superstars should emulate Eddie Guerrero. Back in '00 Punk was quoted as saying "I thought I was the best in the world, and then I stepped foot in the ring with Eddie Guerrero". That simply epitomises how good Eddie was and is one of the many praises he receives from his colleagues

This guy was the total package. He could wrestle ANY style, oozed charisma, brilliant on the mic and had this organic connection with the crowd. Eddie sold a heart attack on TV and made you believe it was real. He was that good of an actor. Add to this how well he played a sympathetic babyface and transitioned into playing a psychopath. Simply put it, he's the best talent WWE has ever had.

I could go on and on about how good this guy was and how he had perfected his craft for hours on end but I will keep it brief. For those saying Angle was better, and I'm a huge Angle fan, hang your heads in shame. I respect your opinion but no way was Angle better than Eddie. Angle was a better mat wrestler than Eddie but from Ring-Psychology and storytelling, Eddie trounces Kurt. Eddie was a better actor, more charismatic and better on the mic.

To end it off, Eddie was the best talent I have ever seen work for the WWE. He can, no doubt, be classed in the bracket as the greatest ever.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
He's very easily in the top 5 ever.

·
The Irish Rapist
3,392 Posts
Eddie is tied with Macho Man as the most charismatic wrestler of all-time.
What about The Rock?

Anyway, Punk said it, it's his opinion. Everyone accepts that he was great, if you think he is the best ever or not it's your opinion. I disagree with Punk, but he obviously knows more about wrestling than me and all of you.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Jesus Christ there are more of you. fpalmfpalmfpalm

I love how people are some how forgetting that even before Eddie died he was widely considered one of the best wrestlers ever. Flair says Eddie is one of the all time great performers in his book, which was written before Eddie died. Jericho says in an interview that was done before Eddie died "When Eddie is on, which was 95% of the time, nobody can touch him". Back in 1994-1995 when Heyman first introduced Eddie to the ECW locker room, he did it by saying "Hey guys I just wanted to introduce you to Eddy Guerrero, he's one of the very best performers in the entire world". This was in 1994-1995, before Eddie had even come close to reaching his potential. It wasn't a state secret that Eddie was great.

The thing is, the internet and having guys entire careers become suddenly easily accessible on sites like YouTube is why there is more support now for Eddie than ever. Now we can really go back and watch all of Eddie's work and fully appreciate how great he was.

That's what happened with Terry Funk for me. I always knew he was widely regarded as one of the best ever, but I just never saw much of him because he was before my time. Over the past year I've watched TONS of Terry Funk, and it's led me to believe he too is one of the all time greats. Does that mean that I'm only appreciating him because he doesn't wrestle anymore? Nope, it's just easier now than it has ever been to find a guys entire catalog and really dive into it.
Don't get so bitchy. I'm a huge Eddie Guerrero fan, but in my opinion and i'd lie if i wasn't biased, I think Kurt Angle is the most talented performer i have ever watched. I definitely have Eddie in the top 3-5 range, though.

Don't like that opinion? Too bad.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts