Wrestling Forum banner

CM Punk and John Cena's Chemistry

4246 25
I think CM Punk and Cena have astounding chemistry together. Nothing in wrestling right now (or for the last few years) has been more exciting than seeing these two feud with each other. The promos they cut on each other, the matches the have together, the reaction the get from the crowd between the two of them, it is on another level. It reminds me a lot of the chemistry between the Rock and Austin when they worked together. Much like Rock and Austin, Punk and Cena elevate each other's game to levels they don't reach with anyone else.

To clarify, I'm talking about raising their game all around, not just in the ring, because obviously there are better technical wrestlers in the WWE than Cena. However, speaking of in ring work, it seems Cena really tries to prove something when he works with Punk. Go watch your typical John Cena match and then go back and watch the amazing matches he has put on with Punk. When it comes to cutting promos, they have made incredible promos against each other almost every time they promo. The last episode of Raw is testament to that. And of course the crowd really gets into this feud, which only makes for more entertaining television.

I really hope WWE moves away from these part time wrestlers doing matches at the biggest PPVs of the year after this coming Wrestlemania so that a Cena VS Punk match can take place as the main event at a mania or SS, because the work these two do together is the best thing WWE has going.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Yes, I suppose the chemistry between the 2 is probably the best seen in WWE for a long time.

Comparing them to Stone Cold & The Rock however, is an extremely big insult and a comment so far off the mark the mark can no longer be seen.

The chemistry between Austin & The Rock is a hole different level. Their feud was ongoing for many years and the pair main evented 3 Wrestlemanias!!!

Also their fued reached extreme personal levels, something that Punks & Cenas will never reach.

All they have done is talked crap to each other about respect, had a couple of tag team matches. Oh and Punk dropped Cena onto Paul Heymans car.

Nothing like the Austin Rock chemsitry, Nothing AT ALL!!

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I suppose I should have been more clear. I am not comparing their chemistry to how good Rock and Austin's chemistry was, obviously Punk and Cena fall short of what Rock and Austin could do together. I was referring to them as an example of two wrestlers that were a similar case of what I am talking about.

Also, you may want to go on youtube and watch the great go home promo Punk did on Cena right before their MITB match. There is a lot of emotion and a feeling of authenticity in their promos when the speak to each other.

· THE TRUTH
1,222 Posts
Yes, I suppose the chemistry between the 2 is probably the best seen in WWE for a long time.

Comparing them to Stone Cold & The Rock however, is an extremely big insult and a comment so far off the mark the mark can no longer be seen.

The chemistry between Austin & The Rock is a hole different level. Their feud was ongoing for many years and the pair main evented 3 Wrestlemanias!!!

Also their fued reached extreme personal levels, something that Punks & Cenas will never reach.

All they have done is talked crap to each other about respect, had a couple of tag team matches. Oh and Punk dropped Cena onto Paul Heymans car.

How hasn't Punk/Cena reached personal levels? Just because something isn't the EXACT same as what came before it doesn't mean it's not as good I'd not better. I find Punk/ Cena's chemistry up there with HBK/Taker, Rock/Austin, and Flair/Steamboat.

· Banned
12,836 Posts
I actually completely agree with Coolquip.

It's a shame that due to the state the wrestling industry is in, a rivalry like Punk/Cena will probably never get recognition the likes of HBK/Taker, Rock/Austin etc. get because of the state of the business. They have brilliant chemistry together and I'd watch every single one of the matches they have together, the promos they do together etc.

· Banned
9,250 Posts

Cena & Punk chemistry will never touch Austin & Rock and the answer is something that was discussed in another thread and that is "Cena booking is stopping the product from evolving"
One of the points why Austin vs. Rock was so great is the variety. Every storyline between the two felt different, everytime it felt like they met each other for the first time.
1997: tweener and (not yet) star of the company Austin vs. a young, cocky, NOD member Rocky Maivia
1999: already established star Stone Cold vs. the Corporate Champion and Mr. McMahon's MVP The Rock
2001: both faces with a lot of tension between them
2003: Stone Cold who returned after a 9 month long hiatus vs. a hated Hollywood Rock.

Like I said, the Cena booking will prevent that any storyline will be at least half as good as Austin vs. Rock because Cena playes always the same role.

Their feud last year was great, they have again a feud this year and if next year WWE tries the same people will get sick of them. Super Cena vs. Angry Phil who complains every year and nothing changes.

CM Punk was last year great but this year he is a cowardly heel because Vince doesn't want to change Cena so he changed Punk. The problem is that CM Punk was last year so confident that anything now feels ridiculous.

The reason why the WrestleMania X-Seven storyline between Austin and The Rock is so great is because both showed they strength. No cowardly Hollywood Rock, no crazy Austin who plays a guitar, no cocky member of the Nation of Domination, no arrogant Austin as the Ringmaster.
That was Stone Cold at it's best vs. The Rock at it's best.

Instead of making a better Cena in his feud vs Punk to match the confident voice of the voiceless they made Punk soft to give Cena a chance.

Because of this booking we will never have a epic face vs. face confrontation where you have troubles to decide who you want to cheer.
That's why Cena vs. Rock never had this special feeling for me because you could clearly see that The Rock was not allowed to be himself.

· Registered
53 Posts
The Punk/Cena feud is what keeps me tuning in. I'm surprised about how well they work together. Whether it's a match or it's a promo. I don't wanna turn the channel when these guys are on. But I would never compare them to The Rock and Stone Cold. Not in a million years.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

· Registered
997 Posts
They certainly do bring out the best in each other. I can't remember the last time I was as interested in Cena before the Punk rivalries. Probably back when he was still funny with his raps.

I don't see any problems with comparing them to Rock and Austin. Comparing them isn't saying that it's the same, or exactly as good, and the overall statement that you can't compare something to something else is just stupid. You can compare everything with anything. Of course there will be differences with two of the biggest stars of all time, in an era that was very different from the current one. It's not all worse though since the Rock vs Austin thing was still a bit more cartoonish (in the sense of the characters being more exaggerated) than the Punk vs Cena one.

· Harvester of Sorrow
13,772 Posts
Meh, I think they have good chemistry, but not astounding. I could probably pick out 3 other guys that have/had equal chemistry with Cena or Punk.

As for the current storyline. I don't think it's anywhere near as good as it could have been. Cena is his typical hypocritical and condesending self, and Punk is booked like a typical heel now. those traits for me, is what brings their storyline down, IMO.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cena & Punk chemistry will never touch Austin & Rock and the answer is something that was discussed in another thread and that is "Cena booking is stopping the product from evolving"
One of the points why Austin vs. Rock was so great is the variety. Every storyline between the two felt different, everytime it felt like they met each other for the first time.
1997: tweener and (not yet) star of the company Austin vs. a young, cocky, NOD member Rocky Maivia
1999: already established star Stone Cold vs. the Corporate Champion and Mr. McMahon's MVP The Rock
2003: Stone Cold who returned after a 9 month long hiatus vs. a hated Hollywood Rock.

Like I said, the Cena booking will prevent that any storyline will be at least half as good as Austin vs. Rock because Cena playes always the same role.

Their feud last year was great, they have again a feud this year and if next year WWE tries the same people will get sick of them. Super Cena vs. Angry Phil who complains every year and nothing changes.

CM Punk was last year great but this year he is a cowardly heel because Vince doesn't want to change Cena so he changed Punk. The problem is that CM Punk was last year so confident that anything now feels ridiculous.

The reason why the WrestleMania X-Seven storyline between Austin and The Rock is so great is because both showed they strength. No cowardly Hollywood Rock, no crazy Austin who plays a guitar, no cocky member of the Nation of Domination, no arrogant Austin as the Ringmaster.

Instead of making a better Cena in his feud vs Punk to match the confident voice of the voiceless they made Punk soft to give Cena a chance.

Because of this booking we will never have a epic face vs. face confrontation where you have troubles to decide who you want to cheer.
That's why Cena vs. Rock never had this special feeling for me because you could clearly see that The Rock was not allowed to be himself.
Yes that is a very good point, the booking and creative freedom in WWE just isn't what it was 13 years ago. Some character changes from Cena and Punk could keep their rivalry fresh for years also. However I think I wouldn't get tired of seeing them go at it with the same skeleton of a storyline and characters 3 or 4 more times even. They just work so well with eachother it's hard not to get excited when they butt heads. Cena vs Punk for the WWE championship at wrestlemania 30! :jesse

· Registered
445 Posts

jeez, you need to move on, the rock austin chemistry is probably one that will never be achieved again by to wrestlers, but that was 10 years ago, cant keep dwelling on the past ya know

· Registered
56 Posts
They need to not compromise either man's character in this feud. Its 2012 you don't need to have a fully fledged heel Punk against the typical baby Cena.

This is the rivalry of the new generation though, they'll talk about Cena/Punk for years to come and it isn't even over yet.

· Registered
866 Posts
They need to not compromise either man's character in this feud. Its 2012 you don't need to have a fully fledged heel Punk against the typical baby Cena.

This is the rivalry of the new generation though, they'll talk about Cena/Punk for years to come and it isn't even over yet.
This. I think you're drastically overrating this feud. They haven't had any memorable moments outside of Punk leaving with the title. This feud has a long way to go to be considered a a feud that will be talked about for years to come.

· Registered
12,749 Posts
Yeah...comparing Cena/Punk to the greatness that was Austin/Rock is a slap in the face of wrestling. Forget being in the same ballpark, its not even in the same country.

The Cena/Punk chemistry is alright, I guess, but to me nothing in particular stands out.

· Registered
228 Posts
They certainly do have great chemistry, because Cena vs Punk is one of the few times i enjoy Cena.

· Registered
8,600 Posts
They have great chemistry when it comes to promos, but when it comes to their matches. If you seen one CM Punk/Cena match, you've seen them all. There are the same match pretty much how Orton/Cena, Triple H/HBK, even Punk/Bryan. When you talk about Rock/Austin, every single on of their feuds and matches are different.

· Registered
5,752 Posts
The horrendously shitty booking of the characters involved really ruins what could be a classic rivalry.

Cena - the generic babyface who never loses cleanly.

Punk - the generic, cowardly heel who has to resort to cheap tactics to one-up Cena.

The greatest rivalries all had something that is sorely lacking in today's wrestling - variety.

You can't survive working with the same formula forever. Imagine the reaction if Punk beat Cena clean, on PPV, in his hometown---but we all know it won't fucking happen. B-O-R-I-N-G.

It's still going to be the standout feud when we look back on the "PG era" in 10-15 years time, though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.