Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Come sweet death, one last caress.
9,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Klout.com has ranked CM Punk the number 8 most-influential athlete in the world on Twitter. Punk also broke the one million mark in followers, which is pretty awesome.
Source: PWinsider.com

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I think that's over-stating Punk a little (particularly at this point in his career, the revolution he was leading has definitely lost most of its momentum) but if it's classing wrestlers as athletes and giving WWE some good press I'll live with it.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
He's above Cena on the list, who's at number nine. The only wrestler above him is Rock. Pretty neat I guess. Also passing a million is huge, considering he only had like 500k a few months ago and only about 100k before his push.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
WWE could do a lot more with Punk as far as public relations is concerned. I was watching MTV (a forgotten audience for wrestling fans these days) and they show an assload of Above The Influence commercials. I thought to myself: "Damn, WWE has a guy who dedicated his whole life to being 'above the influence' and it is a strategy aimed at teens, which is a niche' market for wrestling, why don't they push Punk in that direction?"

Then Punk said something reckless on twitter and I remembered why.

Good stuff though OP.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Is it because of the SE thing? Still nice to know. (Y)

·
Great One?..
10,833 Posts
Is it because of the SE thing? Still nice to know. (Y)
Doubt it, that was three years ago and even than Punk was nowhere near as popular as he is now, his popularity grew after the shoot, so I'm guessing it has something to do with that.

He's the most influential likely because of the freedom of speech factor.

·
What?
13,511 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with his influence within the WWE, just influence in general.

1 million followers is insane.

·
Hot Dreams!
4,098 Posts
Good for him. I haven't been a huge fan of his lately, but he's more than earned his success. 1 000 000+ followers is a big deal no matter how you slice it.

·
Banned
159 Posts
He is the Austin Aries of the WWE.It does not matter if he is on the last match on the card or the first match on the card he is always the main event.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
1 million followers isn't that big of a deal. It goes with the territory of being a top face.

Rock has just under 3 mil
Cena has 2.2 mil
Orton has 1.2 mil

Being on the most influencal athlete list is pretty cool though.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
:lmao no shit captain obvious.
Punk is influential, but seriously someone see him in the top 10 most influential athletes in the world? wrestling is not the most popular "sport" in the world, i dont see him being "that" influential.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It makes sense why someone would think a wrestler could be that influential. Main event wrestlers get more opportunities to express their individual ideals than any other athlete and they're typically more gifted in presenting themselves.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts