Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CM Punk acting as the hypocritical heel version of Jesus is a great idea. He should have wonderful segments not only pissing off the WWE Universe, but the entire USA. The US is a Christian nation. CM Punk's gimmick could have saved this awful time in wrestling. However due to the PG bullshit Punk has limits. If the PG BS was not around then CM Punk would build up huge amounts of heat. Ratings would be much higher, and he would be the most hated American. CM Punk's Jesus gimmick is in the same spot as Rate-R Edge wrong time, place, and era. It's such ashamed to see such a great gimmick be watered down and not build the heat it potentially can.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,025 Posts
I'm sorry but CM Punk would never become the greatest heel of all time. Not when you've got guys like Ric Flair, Vince McMahon and Jake "The Snake" Roberts to contend with

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
First off...as others have said...he is not THE GREATEST heel of all time. However, I will say that his character has/had so much potential to be one of the greatest heels of all time...but due to WWE's PG damper, Punk's character is only allowed to go so far.

Welcome to the reality of great creative opportunities watered down by PG...

·
Banned
4,479 Posts
I agree that PG has watered him (and others) down quite a bit. If you watch his indie stuff , hit straight edge heel work is so amazingly epic.
He is still an amazing heel and over time could turn into one of the best ever.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
CM Punk could play a deluded Charles Manson / David Koresh style cult leader really well. I like the idea of turning him into a bizarre religious fanatic. Instead of the Bible bashing heel type like Jake Roberts, it would be awesome to have him as a creepy, delusional, self righteous, egomaniacial, hypocritical preacher. He could even build a huge Minstry meets nWo style stable of followers (even some big name faces could get Jesus fever and join his cult). I'm quite stoned at the moment but this seems like a great idea to me.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The mask is killing him right now, understandable why he has it but he's pretty much a non-entity with it.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
I'm sorry but CM Punk would never become the greatest heel of all time. Not when you've got guys like Ric Flair, Vince McMahon and Jake "The Snake" Roberts to contend with
Ah Jake the Snake Roberts, I actually do see shades of him in CM Punk. Especially in the ROH promos he used to do. Punk knows psychology and how to get in your head.

But yeah, Punk's good, but he's no Jake, Vince or Flair

Punk's been losing momentum, he needs to look scarier. His stable needs to look more dominant, and most of all, Punk needs to do something shocking. Think about it, what was Punk's peak over moment? Shaving Serena's head in the middle of the bible belt. The sheer amount of boos was defeaning. It was nuts. The man did something that hooked people's attention. Punk needs more creative freedom to get innovative and hook the fan's attention again.

·
Excellent. The bar is so low we can step over it.
1,115 Posts
The controversy that PG limits is cheap; anyone with mic skills can work around it quite comfortably. Punk as a heel has cut some of the best heel promos I've ever seen, and he doesn't need any of the cheap stunts that PG prevents. Hell, in many respects, Punk is the face of PG because restriction and regulation is essentially what he stands for. Playing the corrupt false saviour doesn't require anything that PG stops, because you can only go so far before you're unable to claim you're a saviour at all.

It's not going to be Undertaker's Ministry; he's meant to legitimately want to rescue people. If he has to force them into allowing that, then so be it, but he cannot claim righteousness if he's openly doing the things PG prohibits. His character is so far from being limited by PG. Orton and Edge are limited, because they're meant to be against everything PG; people like Punk and Cena symbolise PG in their own ways.

The only effect that the PG attitude necessarily has on the product, the only effect that is impossible to work around, is the blood and violence issue that can interrupt the action and limit the flow. CM Punk can quite clearly wrestle as well as he ever has; he's not affected by it because he isn't one of those wrestlers who lives off stipulations. Even when there was blood, Punk went right out and saved the match on PPV. He's just fine.

Some characters are limited and have to be tweaked, but Punk doesn't need a higher rating to shave someone's head and self-righteously preach. Subscribing to PG is what he's meant to do. CM Punk is as good as he would be with or without PG, and that's very damn good.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,206 Posts
So thats why Smackdown! used to have TV-14, even TV MA segments. Because it was always the family show.

Yep, Heyman booked a real hell of a family show.

CM Punk as a ripoff Jesus would be odd considering that wrestling has had several born again Christians.

I believe Jericho is one. Jericho/CM Jesus would be fucking hilarious. Just the promos would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Punk's gimmick is a religious one and without the PG limits, he can do what Vince, Flair, and Roberts could not do. Punk could piss off an entire nation. True Vince did target religion once, but not acting as Jesus. Ratings would be huge for this guy and everyone would hate him.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
It's like a lot of heels in the company and most of them are limited to what they can say and do. It's sad Vince has made such a fool of the product by believing PG is more profitable then say an Adult type program. Eventually one day I do believe WWE and Vince will realize PG isn't the answer and so you will no longer see such limits to heels.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Keep up the good work O.P.

·
Banned
47 Posts
What has happened to CM Punk? Why is his storyline going nowhere when he was getting massive heat?
They needed to keep building the SES and make it a more intimidating, violent stable. But what have they done with it? I don't know why his brilliant gimmick is being trashed, but it seems to be.
The SES will disband and Punk's going to wander through the midcard for a while. For no damn reason.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't think it is the pg that is watering down CM Punk, but rather Linda Mchamon political campaign is what is running it down. She is running as a Republican and the christian right gets iffy when you make fun of the Jesus or Christianity.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Again, as many people have said, PG is obviously messing up most storylines in the WWE & CM punk's stroryline is disapointing because of that.
However I wouldnt say he is the greatest heel of all time, but he has the potential to be 1 of the greatest heels, but i would say he's the best heel at this moment in time

1 - 20 of 27 Posts