Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a little bit of a debate with a friend and i could use some help.

I've heard the differences between the two explained as

-none
-in a clothesline there's minimal arm movement, whereas in a lariat you swing your arm
-the opposite of above
-a lariat being a stiffer clothesline
etc

So what is the true difference?

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I'm having a little bit of a debate with a friend and i could use some help.

I've heard the differences between the two explained as

-none
-in a clothesline there's minimal arm movement, whereas in a lariat you swing your arm
-the opposite of above
-a lariat being a stiffer clothesline
etc

So what is the true difference?
That's what I've always thought.

Lariat:

Thinking logically, a "clothesline" would be like running into a clothesline where you hang your clothes to dry, it's stationary.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Reactions: Jerichoholic274

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Well then. The name of the move is Clothesline From Hell, which is described by wiki as a "Running high-impact lariat". I wonder if that's a case of the two being interchangeable or if it's just the WWE being bad at naming moves.
WWE called Tyler Reks finisher the "Burning Hammer" and Hurricanes enzuigiri the "Shining Wizard". Those are just a few examples. They aren't always completely accurate with the names.

·
HEADBANGA
25,279 Posts
Well then. The name of the move is Clothesline From Hell, which is described by wiki as a "Running high-impact lariat". I wonder if that's a case of the two being interchangeable or if it's just the WWE being bad at naming moves.
The WWE doesn't use the term 'lariat' and will call one a 'clothesline'. A lot of guys in WWE throw lariats. Bray Wyatt and Luke Harper can really throw some sick lariats! :mark:

·
Heath Slater's Personal Roadie
2,711 Posts
From what I understand, a proper clothesline is when the attacker remains still with an outstretched arm and his opponent runs into it, like running into a "clothesline." The difference between that and a lariat is that the attacker moves towards his still opponent in a lariat. The lines have become skewed now thanks to shitty announcer who can't tell a headlock from a chickenwing so tons of moves keep getting called by the wrong name now. Severely pisses me off.

·
EXCELSIOR!
16,263 Posts
The WWE doesn't use the term 'lariat' and will call one a 'clothesline'. A lot of guys in WWE throw lariats. Bray Wyatt and Luke Harper can really throw some sick lariats! :mark:
This. The only one in the 'E that could be confusing to some is Nattie's discus clothesline, although it ultimately is a clothesline rather than a lariat because even though she performs the spinning motion, she doesn't swing it like a punch after performing he discus. In comparison, Harper's has always has been a discus lariat due to him adding aforementioned punch-like motion that lariats use.

·
EXCELSIOR!
16,263 Posts
The problem with wikipedia is that the majority of their wrestling editors are high functioning retards. One prime example is some uppity and rude shitcunt whose name is Ribbon Salminen (or something ***** along those lines) who is a major knob when it comes to something as simple as keeping grammar consistent throughout pages. For example, wrestlers with gimmicky DDT names aren't always consistent with each other: Mickie James' DDT finisher has been cited as being spelled as the Mickie-DT, while Velvet Sky's is the Beauty-T and Xavier Woods' as Consequences Creed is the CreeDDT, even though the source for Velvet's has been dead for a good while and there are two sources that list Creed's as the Creed-DT rather than the single one that calls it the CreeDDT. Another example is Luke Harper's spinning side slam finisher being cited as the Truckstop while he was in developmental even though that spelling is incorrect grammatically and isn't even consistent with his page since he used that same move as Brodie Lee and is cited as such under its proper spelling (Truck Stop). To compound the idiocy, that source for the incorrect spelling is dead and you can find two sources that list it under its proper spelling, but if you try to fix it for the sake of being up to date for presentable cohesiveness, that shitcunt will just revert it because lolwikipedia.

TL;DR Go to wikipedia if you don't mind bureaucratic dumbfuckery presenting itself as an encyclopedia.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts