Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let me just say from the start I am not racist, but can I just say what Is the deal with african americans playing classic tv show character's, like Will Smith playing Jim West In Wild Wild West or with this new honeymooner movie, now If they're are black people reading this thread saying bullsh!+ your not racist well let me just say If they made a movie of the jefferson's and the lead roles were played by Tommy Lee jone's and rosie O'donnel or sanford and son played by Gene Hackman and Ashton Kutcher(not sure If I spelled the names right) now maybe It would'nt matter to you but to me It just doesnt feel the same, and now they are even talkin about making Wonder Woman black In the up coming movie, which they already did with Cat woman, I mean come on would It be the same If Pootie Tang was played by a white guy lol just kidding but seriously am I the only one that feels this way, I just think they should stay true to the original.

Reactions: Big-n-Rich

·
Banned
4,310 Posts
I barely understood your post. But if I understood right, you're basically saying "I'm not racist, but I don't like black people." Am I right?

·
The Unoriginator
8,011 Posts
100%Caborn said:
I barely understood your post. But if I understood right, you're basically saying "I'm not racist, but I don't like black people." Am I right?

I think he meant he doesn't like black people playing white characters. I'm black, I'm not offended. Who really cares though. Sure it might be different when the roles are reversed, but what can we do about it?

·
Banned
4,310 Posts
I AM SlaM said:
I just noticed after posting in the PPV section, that the edit feature was missing. (Went to fix a word and found I couldn't) Not sure if it's been mentioned, or if anyone else has expierienced the same, but it doesn't hurt to let these things be known.

Not a big deal or anything, just thought I'd run it by ya's.

EDIT: I noticed the same thing in Rants too. Also, twice now it's shown at the bottom of the page I'm viewing the thread twice at once. Maybe you guys are doing maintnence (SP?) or something. Dunno.
Well, anything is allowed in the 'Rants' section. That's why I love it so much here.

What the hell?! A quote magically appeared!

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
^^^Perhaps you hit Ctr-V? Nice quote though....

I think it's dumb to rehash anything...in any way. It shows no effort. It shows no originality. Then again, it's better than just ripping it off and calling it something "new". So look at it either way ya wanna.

I hear where you're coming from though. And no, I don't think it makes you racist.

·
Banned
4,310 Posts
He didn't have to mention race, SlaM.

I didn't hit CTRL-V, because when I press CTRL-V, this comes up:
Why would it depend on my location? Anyway, now I can prove my friends (and my teacher :)) wrong. I told them it was illegal downloading of LimeWire...I'll also tell them that they got scammed.

Weird, eh?

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Well it applies to the discussion. The Honeymooners were originaly two white couples. Played by Fred, Wilma, Barney, and Betty. :D

N

·
0 Posts
See, you clicked
, and the post was saved for a while, then when you clicked reply, the quote appeared. It's multiquote, and it works across threads, forums (of course only WEForums forums), pages, etc. It's a neat little feature if you know how to use it. Good for saving quotes (forgot the max time, but it's probably around 15 minutes or so...)

ANYWAY, yeah, I agree with you. Changing character races is a stupid thing to do. However, even though the original Cat Woman was white, in the...er...I forgot, but I'm thinking 1960s, there was a black cat woman. Halle Berry was not the first.

'Rehashing' movies can be good. See, most don't like black and white movies (by most, I mean the younger generation) and their acting. Recreating (because it involves changing the script and all to reflect on current society) movies is beneficial in several ways...mainly letting newer people see older classics in a different light. Are they a disgrace? Maybe. But that doesn't matter if you've never seen the original, does it?

·
Asuka
96,568 Posts
I don't like it when they change characters races. Not that I'm a racist or anything but it's very odd seeing a character you're familiar with as a different race. Like in Daredevil, when Mike Duncan was the Kingpin, just didn't seem right, ya know?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I personally think the new Honeymooners movie is disgusting, but on the other hand, I didn't think Halle Berry as Cat Woman was bad, though I hear the movie was(I didn't see it). I guess it can be played off as Art. Next We'll see Shaft starring Val Venis as Shaft.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
i have always thought the same thing. james t west was white. he just was, and as good an actor as will smith is, he can't be a white cowboy special agent spy kind of guy.
another new one is ving rhames playing kojak. telly savalas was old school. hung out with the chairman of the boards and was well known as having ties to the mob. but he wasn't even close to being black.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
skyraiser9 said:
I didn't see anything wrong with will smith in Wild Wild West, though i didn't see the original.
Well It does'nt matter If a white guy was playing Jim West In the movie If they were gonna use the same script and director, that movie was horrible and no actor could of saved It.

·
Double D Baby!
3,328 Posts
Well, im guessing that its good that Hollywood aren't making decisions on race but rather on character and talent. (Well in these cases) Its just another look, You wouldnt want to remake the movie exactly, that would just be lame. I dont think you're racist you have your opinions fair enough.

·
Banned
4,141 Posts
First of all, I'm not going to be like most of the other white people and feel obligated to reassure all of the black people in here (no disrespect, Baba, lol) that I'm not a racist. If someone wants to think I am, that's fine. Anyway, I was slightly confused as well when I saw the preview of the new Honeymooners with black stars. As the first guy said (and a lot of people have seemed to miss), he doesn't think any role (whether the original was played by a black, white, asian, indian, middle eastern, ect) actor/actress should be switched up (race speaking) for modern remakes. The way I see it, they should try to match it up as well as possible to the original motion picture. That'd be like making an "All In the Family" movie/television show today with Samuel L. Jackson playing Archie Bunker. It wouldn't work, and it wouldn't be "All In the Family." If they remade Starsky&Hutch with Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong playing the lead roles, a lot of people would wonder what the hell was going on in Hollywood. See what I mean? Oh, just in advance, if you're planning on calling me a racist, blow me.

SIG

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I AM SlaM said:
Well it applies to the discussion. The Honeymooners were originaly two white couples. Played by Fred, Wilma, Barney, and Betty. :D
You forgot their kid's, Pebble's and Bam Bam. :lmao

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Eh, this is nothing. How about in Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy's movie...Where the english white man Ford Prefect is suddenly played by a black american.

·
Banned
4,310 Posts
Nitemare said:
YOU'RE ALL RACIST OMFG I HATE RACIST PEOPLE
:cuss: It seemed like you were racist last night when we were chatting. I know you were kidding, though. ;)

Oh, and Shamrock you're just trying to stay out of trouble, reassuring black people that you weren't racist would've made you a p*ssy. Good work :rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
He did everything fine.

Anyone who understands what the word "but" means would understand that he said "I'm not a racist 'except for' [etc.]"...which isn't really true, since his views aren't racist at all. But yeah, don't use but in such instances.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts