Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Samuel L. Jackson has joined Chris Rock in Lionsgate’s upcoming “Saw” reboot.

Production has officially begun on the film, in which Rock will play a police detective investigating a series of grizzly crimes. Jackson will portray Rock’s father. Max Minghella, who stars in Hulu’s “The Handmaid’s Tale” and recently directed “Teen Spirit,” also joins the cast as the partner of Rock’s character. “Riverdale” actress Marisol Nichols will play a police captain.

Lionsgate is keeping details of the plot under wraps other than saying it will offer deviously treacherous traps, clever clues and the edge-of-the-seat suspense that fans expect.

“We think Samuel L. Jackson and Chris Rock along with Max Minghella and Marisol Nichols make this film completely special in the ‘Saw’ canon and we can’t wait to unleash this unexpected and sinister new story on fans of this franchise. This is next level of ‘Saw’ on full tilt,” said Joe Drake, chairman of the Lionsgate Motion Picture Group.

Longtime “Saw” filmmakers Mark Burg and Oren Koules returned to produce “Saw.” Darren Lynn Bousman, who helmed the second, third and fourth “Saw” movies, is directing the new movie. The decision to revisit the series was inspired by Rock’s love of the franchise.

The franchise revolves around the fictional character John Kramer, also called the Jigsaw Killer, who traps victims in situations that test their will to live. Tobin Bell has portrayed Jigsaw in all eight films. The low-cost titles have been highly profitable for Lionsgate, grossing nearly $1 billion worldwide. The most recent movie was 2017’s “Jigsaw,” which earned $100 million worldwide.

The upcoming “Saw” will be released on Oct. 23, 2020.
I want to play a game. You love Chris Rock and swear you’ll watch anything he’s created, but are you willing to keep that promise if it means starting over entirely with the Saw franchise? Okay, that might not be as gruesome as a typical Jigsaw puzzle, but it’s a hell of a lot stranger, and it’s really going to happen. Yes, Chris Rock, one of the greatest standup comedians of al time, is rebooting the famed horror franchise.

Deadline reports that Lionsgate, Twisted Pictures, and Rock are working together to breathe new life into the popular franchise, after Rock went to the studio with his idea on how to bring it back. Lionsgate’s Motion Picture Group chairman Joe Drake said that when Rock “described in chilling detail his fantastic vision that re-imagines and spins-off the world of the notorious Jigsaw Killer” they were “all-in” on it. It probably also helped Lionsgate would love a way to bring back such a successful money maker, since the eight (YES, EIGHT) Saw movies have made $1.2 billion in worldwide tickets sales.

Rock wrote the story, which will be adapted into the screenplay by Jigsaw writers Pete Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg, with Rock serving as an executive producer and Darren Lynn Bousman, who was behind the camera for three Saw films, directing. Lionsgate has set an October 23, 2020 release date for the untitled movie.

What will the movie look and feel like? The studio promises it “will still be as mind-bending and intense as all the previous Saw films,” and “will be completely reverential to the legacy of the material while reinvigorating the brand” with Rock’s “wit, creative vision, and passion for this classic horror franchise.” Okay, that isn’t very helpful, but we’re still excited to see Chris Rock’s take on Saw.

https://nerdist.com/article/chris-rock-saw-reboot/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=Nerdist&utm_content=Chris Rock Is Rebooting the SAW Franchise

Is this really neeeded? fpalm

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
Re: Chris Rock rebooting “Saw” (October, 2020)

For the love of God WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Before we know it, a movie will come out in the spring, and its remake will come out in the fall. Forreal fpalm

Reactions: Tater

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

Reactions: Rated-R-Peepz

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts

The intellectual and creative bankruptcy of Hollywood is Vince McMahon on a scale Vince wishes he could operate at

Reactions: Rated-R-Peepz

·
Absolute Scumbag.
4,020 Posts

Yeah no thanks. Jigsaw came out like what 2 years ago? This and Suicide Squad....Things that are only 2-8 years past their last film should not be remade.

I won't be seeing this.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts

The last one wasn't good. Heck the last half of the series before that weren't good. Only the first 3 Saw films had any life and creativity in them.

If Chris Rock can bring that back,I'm down. Let's see what he has in mind.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Why does a comedian want to reboot a Horror franchise? The Joke tells itself.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts

He has no idea how to produce a good movie. All of his past movies that he wrote or directed or produced looked like a revamped and re-shot version of an Everybody hates Chris episode. He did a good job of conning the studios that's for sure.

·
All good things must come to an end.
14,110 Posts

This is the most bizarre piece of news I've read in weeks. Chris Rock & SAW? :wtf

I'm personally a huge fan of the SAW series, but I don't think you can recreate the magic of the first few films. The original trilogy was fantastic, especially the first movie.

Also, you can't have a movie without Tobin Bell. So if he's out, so am I.

·
Banned
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Samuel L. Jackson joins SAW reboot

Of all the people who would resurrect the SAW franchise, I never would have suspected that it would be Chris Rock. "I’ve been a fan of Saw since the first film in 2004," said Rock in a statement when the project was announced. "I am excited by the opportunity to take this to a really intense and twisted new place." The new reimagining is in production now, and it's been announced that Samuel L. Jackson (SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME) has joined the cast. Can't pretend that I saw that coming either.

In addition to Jackson, Marisol Nichols (Riverdale) and Max Minghella (The Handmaid's Tale) have also joined up as well. The as-yet-untitled SAW film will find Chris Rock starring as a police detective investigating a series of gruesome crimes, with Samuel L. Jackson playing Rock's father. Minghella will play Rock's partner and Nichols will play Capt. Angie Garza, Rock's boss on the force. "We think Samuel L. Jackson and Chris Rock along with Max Minghella and Marisol Nichols make this film completely special in the Saw canon and we can’t wait to unleash this unexpected and sinister new story on fans of this franchise. This is next level of ‘Saw’ on full tilt," said Joe Drake, chairman of the Lionsgate motion picture group, in a statement.
This sounds awful

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/samuel-l-jackson-agrees-to-play-a-game-and-joins-chris-rocks-saw-reboot

1 - 20 of 37 Posts