Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
HEADBANGA
22,187 Posts
This is a man who has the distinction of being able to reinvent himself constantly in terms of look and character. That is something that you don't really see in pro wrestling especially from a guy who has been doing it as long as Jericho. Look at a guy like RVD who couldn't even bother evolve his character and is doing an half ass job currently. No one is as consistent as Jericho.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
After going to AEW and reinventing himself yet again, I would say he's easily in the top 10 of all time.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
17,520 Posts
One of the all time greatest.

Performed at a high level in 3 different decades. Held titles in multiple of the biggest wrestling promotions in the world.

Continious reinvention, adapted to surroundings and remained relevant. A legend.

·
WF's #1 AlphaMalePoster
318 Posts
He has to be near the top for what he's accomplished and how he's always adjusted himself to stay relevant for many years.

Some won't realize how godly Jericho truly is until he's gone.

·
Registered
338 Posts
WON awards are voted on by fans who subscribe to the WON. I wouldn't be using that as a source for anything.

But Jericho has been great in the tail end of his career. That can only add to his legacy. He's obviously not anywhere close to the Austin/Rock/Hogan tier, or even the second tier of Batista/Cena/HHH/Flair/etc., but he's had a great career nevertheless.
Bwahahahaha how can you place Batista on the 2nd tier of anything?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Kenny Omega. I have seen all the big stars live in the last year and that guy is absolutely the best in person by a rather large margin.
Omega would be my current vote too, (hence the screename) just didnt feel like starting a debate about that too, lol.

I'm actually thinking about driving the 90 mins to Newark next week and getting a ticket for the "Blood & Guts" Dynamite.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Omega would be my current vote too, (hence the screename) just didnt feel like starting a debate about that too, lol.

I'm actually thinking about driving the 90 mins to Newark next week and getting a ticket for the "Blood & Guts" Dynamite.
I saw AJ at Slammy 2012, Daniel Bryan at Smackdown Dallas, and Omega in AEW Austin last month. He stood out over the other two.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I would probably put Chris Jericho on my all-time Top 25. There have been better in-ring performers and better promo guys, but Jericho stands out for his creativity and ability to reinvent himself.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I saw AJ at Slammy 2012, Daniel Bryan at Smackdown Dallas, and Omega in AEW Austin last month. He stood out over the other two.
Nice. I saw AJ vs Jeff Hardy at "Destination X" 2013. Never seen Bryan live unfortunately. Nothing compares to being 2nd row for this as a 14 year old (I'm the kid still cheering depite the heel turn hahaha)...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Shawn Michaels is the man. I really don't see anyone ever taking his spot. I do disagree that AJ Styles is over Kurt Angle on your list but we all have our own opinions. For one night, Slammy 2012, Angle seemed better than AJ in the ring.

But man I will tell you this, seeing them live does hurt sometimes, Mox looked horrendous vs Santana in Austin. Like I don't get near as excited for him as I did before Austin.

·
Registered
11,608 Posts
Hall of famer no question

But when people say top 10-20 I assume they mean they favorite guy in that range because in terms of overall pro wrestling Jericho wouldn't be in top 10-20

He didn't popularize pro wrestling in the us that was Frank Gotch
He wasn't the big drawing star in history in terms of shows headlined with biggest crowds, that would be Jim Londis
He wasn't someone who was world champion at 21 (when there was one world title) and carried the nwa for two decades and a massive draw in USA and Japan that was Lou Thesz
He is not an icon in his home country who has monuments and a national holiday in his honor, that's El Santo.
He didn't popularize pro wrestling in South East Asia, that was Rikidozan
He wasn't the biggest star on tv and got 1/3 of his home country to tune into his match, that was Big Daddy
He wasn't responsible for popularizing the over the top pro wrestling gimmick and hence influencing people like Muhammad Ali, that was Gorgeous George.
He didn't set the record for selling out MSG a record number of times, that was Bruno Sammartino
He isn't the biggest drawing heel wrestler ever, that would be The Shiek.
He didn't become a mainstream star during the explosion in cable TV and ppv and have a whole cartoon style built in his image, that was Hulk Hogan
He didn't set all kind of attendance and merch selling records in the 1990s, that was Steve Austin
He didn't in his short period in wrestling set new records for houses headlined in one year, that would be the Rock

There are a couple more you could say are clearly ahead of Jericho like inoki, Strangler Lewis, Bill Longson, Ric Flair in terms of historical standing in the business.

I would put him in same group as guys like Bret Hart. Shawn Michaels, Rey Mysterio, John Cena, HHH, undertaker, Randy Savage, Daniel Bryan, Brock Lesnar, Piper, Dusty, Foley, Angle, Sting, Eddie Guerrero, AJ Styles in terms of importance or overall ability from modern us based wrestlers (84 present).

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Shawn Michaels is the man. I really don't see anyone ever taking his spot. I do disagree that AJ Styles is over Kurt Angle on your list but we all have our own opinions. For one night, Slammy 2012, Angle seemed better than AJ in the ring.

But man I will tell you this, seeing them live does hurt sometimes, Mox looked horrendous vs Santana in Austin. Like I don't get near as excited for him as I did before Austin.
His matches outside of hardcore stuff never did anything for me. You can tell he is thinking as far as chaining together sequences.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts