Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
One thing about Jericho is he made anything given to him work ..dude went into every fed and was over re invited himself over and over ...honestly if AEW sticks around and grows you can call him the undistributed GOAT one other thing that differs from him and guys like Hogan is Chris never had the machine behind him

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
Jericho is my favourite wrestler ever. Off the top of my head, this is how I'd rank the top 10. The first 4 are all pretty interchangeable as well.

1. The Rock
2. Steve Austin
3. Hulk Hogan
4. Ric Flair
5. Shawn Michaels
6. Undertaker
7. Mick Foley
8. Andre the Giant
9. Chris Jericho
10. Randy Savage

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Jericho is my favourite wrestler ever. Off the top of my head, this is how I'd rank the top 10. The first 4 are all pretty interchangeable as well.

1. The Rock
2. Steve Austin
3. Hulk Hogan
4. Ric Flair
5. Shawn Michaels
6. Undertaker
7. Mick Foley
8. Andre the Giant
9. Chris Jericho
10. Randy Savage
I'm not questioning your list, but always interesting to see people make lists and not include Triple H, poor guy has always been the guy that worked with THE guy.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I'm not questioning your list, but always interesting to see people make lists and not include Triple H, poor guy has always been the guy that worked with THE guy.
Just like Cody now. Sure Cody, we believe you won’t challenge for the title, but you’ll damn sure insert yourself in every hot storyline and debut with a million smoke and mirror gimmicks to up sell the importance.

HHH had the book and made himself far more important a character than he ever was before marrying into the family.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
How AEW does over there life of Jericho’s contract will tell where Jericho ends up on the pantheon of All-Time Greats. He’s solidly anywhere from 5-15 without having ever got the rocket strapped to his back by Vince. He was treated as Vince’s failsafe. Need to get something over, and Jericho gets the crap thrown to him to make it work. He made it work, got it over, and everyone walked away looking better for it.

Now he has the chance to be on top, and I’m sure he no doubt knows the next 3 years are going to determine where he belongs.

·
Justice 4 Asuka
1,342 Posts
Top 10 I'd say, in that 2nd tier.

My top 10 would be.

1. Austin
2. Hogan
3. Rock

4. Taker
5. Flair
6. HBK
7. Jerricho
8. Cena
9. HHH
10. Andre

Top 3 are out on their own. Brock, Batista, Orton, bret, Warrior, Punk, Bryan would all be in the next group.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Jericho is kind of like Kurt Angle in the sense that he's always been a goofball with excellent matches and acumen, yet at the same time can turn into the most ultra-serious badass at the drop of a hat without any plotholes (see: 2008 feud vs HBK.)

In fact, you could say that AEW right now is like TNA in 2006, where Jericho is Angle, Cody is Jarrett, MJF is AJ, Ambrose is James Storm, and Jack Swagger is Matt Morgan. That's how pivotal Jericho is to the wrestling business in general.

2,075 Posts
To be on the top of list, you need to be fotc and drew money as well which Jericho failed to do so. I mean even Undertaker who has a long phenomenal career but just wasn't good enough to be the fotc like Hogan/Austin/Rock/Cena/Flair etc.,

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
To be on the top of list, you need to be fotc and drew money as well which Jericho failed to do so. I mean even Undertaker who has a long phenomenal career but just wasn't good enough to be the fotc like Hogan/Austin/Rock/Cena/Flair etc.,
Jericho was never meant to be the face of anything. A face has to be- well... a FACE, and Jericho is a natural heel. His Undisputed run was unfortunately ruined by that horrid feud with HHH, given that Y2J was on a winning streak against the Fed's two biggest draws since Hogan. Fuck HHH and his ego.

And yes, it's ironic I'm shitting on the guy whose WCW gimmick I based my name after.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes you do. There's a reason why Undertaker rarely comes to the conversation when it comes on mount Rushmore stuff because he wasn't the top guy of the company he worked with.
Or maybe it’s because most people don’t think he belongs there.

Anyway, I didn’t particularly like Jericho when I watched WWE when I was younger, I took about a 15 years hiatus after John Cena became a thing, so I have missed an awful lot of his work. His AEW work has been great TV, I think that is all that matters. So I might go and check some older stuff if I have time.

How do you quantify a ranking system in this day and age on something that is fake? It still baffles me that there is a real betting market on wrestling.

·
Registered
23,448 Posts
I don’t know where he ranks all time, be he’s a guy who has been able to remain relevant near a top spot for about 25 years through multiple eras and companies.

So all in all he feels like he would be in the tier below Austin, Rock, Hogan, Bruno, etc.

tainted ? I think his general manager position in WWE tainted his legacy. Whereas in TNA he put on classics with Joe AJ, had the run in MEM etc. It only strengthens his legacy as he had that company on his back and took it to greater heights. Ruined his marriage though.
The only things that tainted his TNA run were:

1. Having his DUI problems.

2. Sticking around too long in Impact. He didn’t leave the company until 2016 and by that point the company was reaching the point of irrelevancy.

So by the time he did come back to WWE, it was too late to really do anything worthwhile, besides the Mania 34 Match.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Great talent coasting on a reputation for being one of the internet’s guys and cashing those cheques. He knows how to make himself stand out and be valuable.

·
You're Pretty Good
9,795 Posts
Best to ever do it. Hands down.

People attribute way too much to star power and money drawn as it’s entirely reflective of actual talent. It’s a scripted show. The stars are whoever was written to be the star. There were opportunities for Jericho but they were squandered, largely due to HHH’s extreme ego.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
With shit booking for most of his career, he is a Top 10-15 wrestler of all-time by any measure. By my count, he’s at 7 as I have said a few times.

Imagine what he may have been able to do had Vince not used him as there guy to put over every stupid angle known to man, knowing that Jericho would get it over.

I won’t put him as the GOAT, because I refuse to take away from Rock, Austin, Hogan, Flair. He is somewhere in that next tier, but those in that next tier all were pushed as either a top babyface, heel, or unbeatable. Jericho was never these things. He was treated as glue to the show, and yet he sits comfortably in the top 10-15.

Think on that.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts