Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's hauled five WON awards including biggest box office draw, most charismatic and wrestler of the year... at 49 plus Came second to Adam Cole in a record cause PWI Wrestler of the year award.

I'm just curious as to where he stands at the moment.

You see guys of his era absolutely embarrassing themselves, whether it's RVD as a stoner who has threesomes in TNA, Kurt getting squashed by Corbin at Mania, Michaels selling out for sweet Saudi cash, Punk getting squashed by a dude who basically moonwalked mid MMA fight or Undetaker and Goldberg reeling in that Saudi money by attempting to paralyse each other in 100 degree weather.

Jericho however, just quietly going about his business, in the midst of another rebirth, putting over young talent, winning world championships in Japan and America, I'm just so confused how Jericho is doing all this.

Where does his legacy stand today compared to his peers?

·
Registered
21,519 Posts
He's not on the Mt. Rushmore he's exactly where he's always been in that 2nd tier with the HHH, Taker, and HBKs of the world.

As far as comparing him to his peers I'll say this. He's just as bad in ring as they are when you compare him to himself. What saves him is that unlike his peers he's always been pretty damn funny, and he's still that. But match wise, Jericho matches are a shell of themselves. If folk didn't grade him on a curve they'd be willing to admit his matches are mediocre to downright boring, dating back to Kevin Owens.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Probably like Angle did, people will remember his WWE run, and even though Angles run in TNA was good, being with a number 2 company tainted it a bit.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I would go maybe number 5. He aint touching Hogan, Rock and Steve Austin for sure. But other than that, ya he has had quite the career, he may not have the best of matches anymore but he has the fans invested in his stories and ultimately thats what counts in an era filled with no story telling and work rate spot monkeys...

·
Registered
95 Posts
This chapter of his career, which is expected to be his last is going to play a big role. If AEW can grow to a point where it gets a monster TV deal in 2023 when this one is up, a ton of that credit has to go to Jericho for being the focal point of the show and carrying it to that height. He was never really given a chance to be a legit top guy in WWE, and in AEW he has the opportunity, so when this run ends, we can have a really good gauge.

As it stands, he's in the 2nd tier class, but he can easily be 1st tier if AEW can close a 9 figure TV deal in 2023(and he's still with the company, I expect he will be).

To suggest Jericho has bad matches is just comical, like to each their own, but the match with Cody was great, his match with Tanahashi was fantastic, the Naito matches were great, and the first Omega match was awesome too.

·
Premium Member
12,330 Posts
Probably like Angle did, people will remember his WWE run, and even though Angles run in TNA was good, being with a number 2 company tainted it a bit.
tainted ? I think his general manager position in WWE tainted his legacy. Whereas in TNA he put on classics with Joe AJ, had the run in MEM etc. It only strengthens his legacy as he had that company on his back and took it to greater heights. Ruined his marriage though.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Jericho is one of the best ever. I'm not sure what place I'd rank him because I'd start naming names and forget some guys for sure.

I think I'm willing to go as far as best Canadian wrestler. Bret Hart better in the ring but Jericho is more well-rounded and his longevity is impressive,

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
WON awards are voted on by fans who subscribe to the WON. I wouldn't be using that as a source for anything.

But Jericho has been great in the tail end of his career. That can only add to his legacy. He's obviously not anywhere close to the Austin/Rock/Hogan tier, or even the second tier of Batista/Cena/HHH/Flair/etc., but he's had a great career nevertheless.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
WON awards are voted on by fans who subscribe to the WON. I wouldn't be using that as a source for anything.

But Jericho has been great in the tail end of his career. That can only add to his legacy. He's obviously not anywhere close to the Austin/Rock/Hogan tier, or even the second tier of Batista/Cena/HHH/Flair/etc., but he's had a great career nevertheless.
Not being booked like HHH and those guys will do that to one’s career. Yet when they wanted to get ANYTHING over, they threw the shit to Jericho, and he got it over.

The ONLY difference between The Rock and Jericho is favorable booking by famed size queen, Vince McMahon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The greatest of all time in my opinion. He's been a top tier performer since 1997. Who else did it for that long? Not many. Certainly not Rock or Austin. He has reinvented his character so many times. He was always very good in the ring, and quite possibly might be the best ever on the mic.

There were stars that made more money, but what does that mean to me? Nothing. I didn't see any of that money.

·
Registered
21,519 Posts
Not being booked like HHH and those guys will do that to one’s career. Yet when they wanted to get ANYTHING over, they threw the shit to Jericho, and he got it over.

The ONLY difference between The Rock and Jericho is favorable booking by famed size queen, Vince McMahon.
Or you know the difference between being a mega start and a star. Jericho wouldn't have been as big as Rock.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I’m not so sure about that one, but I ain’t going to go out of my way in knocking the Rock.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
tainted ? I think his general manager position in WWE tainted his legacy. Whereas in TNA he put on classics with Joe AJ, had the run in MEM etc. It only strengthens his legacy as he had that company on his back and took it to greater heights. Ruined his marriage though.
I mean in "Angle won a world title x amount more times" ... yeah but it was in TNA.... General Manager role isn't a bad way for someone to still be on the show after they can't wrestle any more, I still think AEW should hire a guy like Tully as an on screen match maker.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
I might have to think about it more, but I probably put Jericho in my top ten all time. I started watching him in the 90s and am still being just as entertained by him today.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts