Wrestling Forum banner

Chris Jericho speaking about kayfabe

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SPCDRI 
#1 ·
On kayfabe still existing in wrestling: "I think sometimes it confuses the fans when you do too much insider stuff, before I came back in 2012, I remember when Punk and Nash were having their feud and their were going back and forth and Nash said: "You would never draw a dime." I think people do not understand what that really means. I think we all assume that people read the sheets and read the internet and really eighty percent don't. I'm a big music fan, I read Billboard magazine and I follow charts and read the reviews and see what's going on but I guarantee that eighty percent of people that like music don't or eighty percent of people that watch movies don't read the receipts every week .

I think when people say: "Edge didn't draw a dime" and that's supposed to be a "heat getting line" and people really do not know what that even means. Edge was a ten-time World Champion so doesn't that mean he was good? So what, he never took a pencil, drew a circle and wrote "10 cents" in the middle of it. I mean, what does "drawing a dime" really mean? I think we assume that everybody knows as much about wrestling as we do. Telling people: "You're too small" or "You're too ugly" and Big Show is broke so he needs the money, it's like if I've been working for WWE and I was broke, something is wrong with me! I don't want to cheer for Big Show if he is broke after 14 years, you question yourself on: "What the hell were you spending all your money on?" You're a former World Champion. When I watched Stampede Wrestling, I saw a wrestler by the name of Goldie Rodgers and he was an opening match jobber and I was thinking: "If I can be like Goldie Rodgers, that's all I want, he is probably making one hundred and fifty thousand a year. Little did I know that he was making fifty a night and probably getting ripped off. To me because he was on television, he was a superstar and rich.

That's what we need to portray our WWE superstars to be. When they are talking about the pre-show, it's like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" when (Mike) Damone talks to Mark "Rat" Ratner: "Where ever you are, it's the place to be." If you're on the pre-show, it's going to be the biggest pre-show of your life. When you fighting for the Intercontinental Championship, I was fighting (Curtis) Axel , I wanted them to do in-ring introductions, it either got cut off before I got to the ring or someone forgot to do it, this is a title match on a network television show. Why are we not making this a big deal? I don't care if it's the Intercontinental Championship, it's a championship, it doesn't matter if it's the World Championship or the Midget Championship, it should be treated as such because if we don't treat it as such then nobody will. It's the same way with these storylines too. "Daniel Bryan is small and ugly." I never noticed that. I don't know how big he is. You see these guys in the ring and they are all the same size unless you're the Big Show or Rey Mysterio. He's got a beard, ok. He's ugly, ok who cares, and who said your ugly. Maybe under that beard, he's the hottest guy. I don't know. But sometimes they do these things that they thing are going to get heat but I'm not sure if it does get heat."

Read more at http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/n...Talks-TNA\\s-Problems.htm#DkPYi35zgDHMWrSR.99

See less See more
#2 ·
All very good points. I especially agree about the Big Show thing, I thought the same - it's not like they even said like "he got Madoff'd" or something to explain it, it's just like "he's broke" after years of "iron clad contract" - well where the fuck did all that money go??

#4 ·
Who is Kay Fabe? Is she in NXT??

#6 ·
I've been to several live shows and it amazes me that everyone isn't in on the scripted nature of things by now, but WWE's twitter and their now-defunct social network proves that there's still legitimate marks out there that aren't getting the insider terms.
Funny as hell thinking about them imagining a wrestler criticizing another wrestler for not having drawn a literal dime on a piece of paper.

Mark: "What's so important about drawing dimes?"

#7 ·
This happens a lot. WWE has been doing it lately and WCW was notorious for it. Hey, Russo.

:russo

"You're a vanilla midget!" That was said by Nash against Punk and the crowd didn't gasp and clutch their pearls and break out the smelling salts.
SILENCE. 90+ PERCENT OF THE CROWD DIDN'T REALLY KNOW WHAT THAT MEANT.

I know that phrase because I'm not just a fan, I'm a FANATIC. I listen to the podcasts, read the dirt sheets,
mark for Cornette shoot interviews, the whole thing. I'm a FANATIC. I'm 10, or 5, or 2 percent of the audience.

The risk with material like that is that it just flies over the heads of the tremendous majority of fans.

Like this whole "best for business" shit.

:HHH2

Sorry Trips, but people don't want to think of this as a business. Even if kayfabe is dead, you have to preserve it within the context of the show.
Doesn't the best wrestler become champ? When Bryan beat Cena without cheating, in the context of the program, didn't that solidify Bryan as at that
moment in time the best wrestler in the company? When Punk was champ for over a year without cheating, didn't that make him Best in the World?
Nobody wants to think of this stuff as scripted, as "booked" or as a business.

It takes people out of the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.