Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Banned
4,271 Posts
4 weeks ago I would have agreed but he's actually been doing some of the dumbest shit of his entire career since the crowds disappeared. Went from World Champ to Bubbly Bunch within a few weeks.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Jericho has always been great, and hes unmatched when it comes to reinventing himself and staying relevant.

But there's just no way you can call yourself the best in the world without sounding like a pretentious douche.
Especially when youre an entertainer in a business where people have very varied opinions on what makes a wrestler great.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
2,404 Posts
If we are talking about 2020, and not 2010, 2014 or something...

In 2020 there are many other people I prefer watching tbh. Many of them. But Jericho is ok.

It’s always good to be confident though.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm gonna take this a step further. When his career is over and done with, I think he will have a claim as the greatest contribution to modern wrestling.

In ring stuff aside, he's not getting enough praise for how amazing he's been on commentary. He was awesome as the mean Jean role in southpaw wrestling too. There's no telling how much knowledge he's passed on to guys back stage. If he stays healthy, and decides to stick around after he can't go, who's to say he won't have his own federation one day?

People always talk about guys that have a mind for the business and I find it odd that Jericho isn't at the top of that list. He's reinvented himself countless times. I think he's going to be around being fucking amazing for years to come

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jericho is underrated and doesn't get praise he deserves...People always talk about greatest on mic and always put Rock and Flair up there (who are both great) but never seem to mention Jericho who I feel is better than both on mic

He did a various number of different kind of things on the mic not just one character for a number of years spewing catchphrases

I think he should be spoken about as one of best minds and best entertainers in wrestling history tbh

But everybody has different opinions which is cool....Be boring if we all thought the same

Just thought share my opinion on my favourite of all time

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Jericho has always been great, and hes unmatched when it comes to reinventing himself and staying relevant.

But there's just no way you can call yourself the best in the world without sounding like a pretentious douche.
Especially when youre an entertainer in a business where people have very varied opinions on what makes a wrestler great.
It´s not far from what he said during a heel turn in WWE. "I am the best in the world at what I do" (which he had stolen from Wolverine). I don´t think he´s wrong at this point in time though, of course there´s better wrestlers out there, but as a complete package? His talent combined with the creative freedom he gets in AEW probably makes him the best right now.

·
it's a tarp!
5,779 Posts
Some of the necessary elements to make the claim

Are they a huge draw? Yes Jericho draws huge viewers/fans in the present for AEW and NJPW.
Is that person the guy in their company, recognised or otherwise? Yes.
Are they recognised by their peers as the best, or at that level? Yes. Outside of a few self-promoters I've never heard otherwise.
Are they recognised by the fans as the best, or at that level? Obvs there will always be dispute, but generally a solid yes.

Chris is absolutely right to make this claim.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Cm PuNk CoNfIrMeD gOiNg To AeW!?!?!?!?

Actually, I do think he's poking fun at CM Punk. Not that they're signing him, but just to stir up discussion.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
If you consider his entire career body of work on top of what he's done in the last year, he's definitely got a case.

But also, consider that Jericho is probably tweeting in character, so of course a guy who still calls himself "Le Champion" despite losing the belt a month ago is going to call himself the best.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Cm PuNk CoNfIrMeD gOiNg To AeW!?!?!?!?

Actually, I do think he's poking fun at CM Punk. Not that they're signing him, but just to stir up discussion.
No. Jericho usd "The best in the world at what I do" way before Punk thought (falsely) that he was "Best in the World"

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
12,032 Posts
I think he deserves the spot. Who else can work a match, work the mic, be good at commentary, have charisma, work the crowd, and reinvent their character as good as Jericho in 2020 right now? I don’t think there’s anyone. Kenny Omega comes close but he sucks on the mic and on commentary. Moxley is close too but he is not as good on the mic and doesn’t have as much charisma.

WWE talent don’t even apply they’re all trash. I guess if you can pick someone in WWE that comes close though, it would be Orton, but he has a lack of charisma and mic skills not on Jerichos level. I think Jericho is right to call himself the best if you’re looking at everything that makes a talent great.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts