Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
The sad thing is the "dream matches" AEW has made for their special are Cody/Hagar and Best Friends vs. Page/Omega, not so dreamy...Oh I forgot about Cassidy/Jericho and Mox/Cage...
I was talking about Io/Sasha by NXT lmao. Like From 3-way title match and title shot between the biggest star, between the most popular active woman and former multiple-time champion on the MR and the current champion.

No Dream for AEW for me, but I am looking forward to Hager/Cody actually, I think Hager should break up with the IC and be with his wife for now on.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I was talking about Io/Sasha by NXT lmao. Like From 3-way title match and title shot between the biggest star, between the most popular active woman and former multiple-time champion on the MR and the current champion.

No Dream for AEW for me, but I am looking forward to Hager/Cody actually, I think Hager should break up with the IC and be with his wife for now on.
I know you did and I just pointed out what AEW has to offer ;) I dont look forward to Cody/Hager, but mostly because of my Cody hate and that I know that he will sell it like he will lose his life if he doesnt and that he will bleed and that he will have the most cringy entrance and after match promo saying that "AEW loves all of you and I will make you proud because I am Cody with no Rhodes to go"...

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
I know you did and I just pointed out what AEW has to offer ;) I dont look forward to Cody/Hager, but mostly because of my Cody hate and that I know that he will sell it like he will lose his life if he doesnt and that he will bleed and that he will have the most cringy entrance and after match promo saying that "AEW loves all of you and I will make you proud because I am Cody with no Rhodes to go"...
I really see nothing wrong with Cody pushing himself, I do consider him one of the top 5 active talent they have, so he is worthy of the push he's giving himself.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I really see nothing wrong with Cody pushing himself, I do consider him one of the top 5 active talent they have, so he is worthy of the push he's giving himself.
How he portays himself, he should be the no 1 talent, because thats how he wants to be seen ;) But hey, maybe I will enjoy a Cody match for once. If he actually doesnt bleed then this would be a positive for me ;)

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Viewers unsurprisingly already getting bored of Orange Cassidy’s gimmick it seems 🤷‍♂️

A gimmick like his has a shelf life of a couple of months.

Watching the same routine of Cassidy putting his hands in his pockets, followed by his intentional weak kicks, then getting offense in on someone like Jericho and making them look shit.

It get’s boring after a while, so I’m not surprised it drew a record low.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
I guess this is good news for the people who think OC is killing the business. Seems like he killed AEW in the ratings war this week. :(

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Viewers unsurprisingly already getting bored of Orange Cassidy’s gimmick it seems 🤷‍♂️

A gimmick like his has a shelf life of a couple of months.

Watching the same routine of Cassidy putting his hands in his pockets, followed by his intentional weak kicks, then getting offense in on someone like Jericho and making them look shit.

It get’s boring after a while, so I’m not surprised it drew a record low.
Orange Cassidy was fine in the midcard, but he doesn’t need to be in any focal point storylines. At least not in the current rendition. Would require longer, more meaningful character work to show he is a serious wrestler with a comedic side.

Or as JR would say, “what worked on the indies to get you here is all well and good, but this is big time. This is weekly television, and you have to work harder now. You’ve got to evolve!”

·
Registered
24,008 Posts
The 300,000 gap still shocks me. I mean to NXT‘s credit, they hyped a big main event with big implications. So they deserved the rating they got. But damn, I still didn’t expect to see that many people tune out of the main event segment for AEW.

I‘ll be interested to see if this becomes a trend during Fyter Fest. I would like to think it won’t.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
Good. AEW is relying WAY too much on comedy. OC works in small amounts when there is a crowd he can pop. It's dumb as shit in front of no audience.

Jericho has been mostly shit since he dropped the title. He has stated he doesn't believe pro-wrestling can do high drama storylines without a crowd, hence his deep dive into comedy - with Hardy, with the Stadium Stampede stuff and now with OC.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I blame Jericho and those in charge. Insane booking decision to have Orange Cassidy in this spot.

Cassidy is still new to the wrestling business and has had some good buzz but anyone with a lick of sense or experience knew that Orange Cassidy is not ready to be put in this spot. His body isn't there yet and he doesn't have enough of the casual audience behind him for this spot. Its even more ridiculous when you take into account that theres no crowd. (the main appeal for Orange Cassidy is the crowd behind him and the reaction he gets)

Jericho on the other hand has become a complete joke. He went from an interesting villain to a complete meme who comes off as someone desperately trying to be in with the "cool" kids.
Yesss! Finally someone willing to say it. This has been some of his worst work ever imo. He was great the first 3 months but since thin he's been stale and his how Le Champion stchick is boring.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Just want to make sure I understand this thread

so, the 2 or 3 times when OC got the highest rated segment in the last 2 months now doesn’t matter

this last one though is a sure sign that doom is approaching and he doesn’t draw

that the gist of it?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts

so, the 2 or 3 times when OC got the highest rated segment in the last 2 months now doesn’t matter

this last one though is a sure sign that doom is approaching and he doesn’t draw

that the gist of it?
What were the specific times?

The week before this past week we got a Jericho main event where Cassidy was involved for maybe 2-3 minutes in the post match. We can't credit anything to him for that.

The week before that he was in a six man tag that opened up the show which is where traditionally AEW starts highest before slowly dropping throughout the night.

This was OC's moment to shine. He had his big heavily hyped segment with Chris Jericho and nobody gave a fuck. He can go back to being a manager of the Best Friends and occasionally working a six man tag or a match on Dark but keep him away from the main events.

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
Balor/Gargano/Lee in a 3-way title match to face Cole to Unify the titles is the literally the biggest match they could do. Those 4 are without a doubt the biggest 4 names on the brand, and you have Balor who's proven he's a difference-maker. They started in Q7 and during the Matt segment which nobody gave a shit about that Sammy was gone.

This week they're giving away a dream match on free TV.
A dream match has to be something that appeals to a giant majority of fans whilst being something they never thought they would or could see.

Bret Hart vs. Kurt Angle is a dream match. Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Hulk Hogan is a dream match. It exists in your dreams. I’m sorry, but Sasha Banks vs. Io Shirai is not a dream match.

I guess this is good news for the people who think OC is killing the business. Seems like he killed AEW in the ratings war this week. :(
Well, it’s not good news. Not unless you’re at the point where you just want to watch the world burn. But it is predictable and evidence that they know what they’re talking about.

that the gist of it?
You have to be able to put some cognitive application into the ratings to extrapolate what they mean. Vince Russo was the sort who would see a big number and think “That’s good!” not appreciating that if they don’t come back, something hasn’t worked.

That’s why instincts for this shit are so important. It’s actually better to impress 700k fans than disappoint in front of 1 million. You need to have some sort of compass as to what is good and not though. This company has got NONE of that.

The “pops” Cassidy got were by a few thousand people. In Nielsen terms, these are basically glitches. They aren’t that impressive. If you want to take them literally though, you’ve got to ask yourself “Why didn’t they stick around?”

It’s because these people don’t like nor give a shit about wrestling. You have your core AEW audience watching at the time, then the parody wrestler who mocks the genre comes on, and a few thousand people will text their friends “Bob, turn on TNT. Can you believe how shit wrestling has gotten?” Bob will then see the guy with the hands in his pockets, kicking the shins of his opponent, and Bob will say “There’s no way it was that fake when we watched it!” Then they tune out without ever dropping $50 for a PPV.

It’s a similar principle to Hikaru Shida or Riho “boosting“ the ratings. Is anyone going to assert that either is anywhere near one of the most magical workers in the business to be able to attract viewers? They get viewers because fap, fap, fap. That doesn’t mean women’s wrestling can’t be good. It doesn’t mean women can’t be stars. But you’ve got to have insight as to why your acts are or aren’t working. Booking around Shida would be a mistake, just like booking around OC has been.

Because when you get the novelty act and put emphasis on them, you are insulting that core audience, who yes, will largely stick with things through the insulting of their intelligence or the fappening. But when you make that shit the story instead of a side dish? That’s when they say “fuck this, it’s too much.” And you’ve created another Bob.

It’s all about emphasis. When you put emphasis on something, you tend to see its ultimate value. And that’s why AEW getting fucked up by 65% of its audience is far more of a pressing number than a Battle Royal featuring him getting a boost of 2k or whatever.

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
And honestly, he should be gone. Not everybody can do this shit. It’s an aesthetic business. It’s television. People aren’t entitled to a place, nor are they inherently valuable just by being there.

Cassidy does not look the part, act the part, nor is he even good enough to work the part. It’s got to suck for the guy because so much within his echo chamber told him that he was something special. Meltzer and Alvarez blow him and AEW whenever they can. I’m sure The Elite have told him he’s amazing. Jericho himself has probably said he’s got something. It’s been exposed that those people either don’t know what they are talking about or have been blatantly lying. I can’t imagine anything creatively worse for these guys than when they work out that Jim Cornette was right about them.

If Orange Cassidy wanted to be the in the business, it should have been on the crew. He might have made a perfectly fine referee.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Don't care, I still love OC and he's drawn just fine in plenty of other segments before. But watch people hold this up as some type of definitive proof against him.

·
Hiding in the shadows
1,012 Posts
There is so much shit being thrown back and forth, I don't get it. Here's the "facts":

AEW Hardy segment in Q7
NXT Triple Threat begins Q7
Ratings drop for AEW and rise for NXT

AEW Finish of Hardy segment, commercials, Jericho/OC segment Q8
NXT Triple Threat continues, no commercials Q8
Ratings drop further for AEW and rise even higher for NXT

That's all that needs to be said. It's VERY clear that the Hardy segments and the Jericho/OC face-off, were not enough to keep viewers from flipping over to NXT. You're not going to flip back to AEW if you're enjoying the match on NXT. The Jericho/OC segment, in this context, is moot. If AEW viewers had obviously tuned over to NXT, they weren't going to come back to AEW. Could they have casually flipped over to AEW and back again to NXT, sure, but going into Q8, it didn't matter one way or the other.

And for those that want to compare an important and implication outcome title-match (with great wrestling), to a promo/face-off build, regardless of who they are, then go right ahead, that's your opinion. However, it also shows a preference or bias.

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
Garty likes to talk about “facts” before going into his mitigated opinion. You’re allowed to have your opinion, Garty, but don’t pass it off as fact.

Orange Cassidy is a joke. That’s the whole concept. Joke wrestlers don’t draw. There’s a fact for you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is so much shit being thrown back and forth, I don't get it. Here's the "facts":

AEW Hardy segment in Q7
NXT Triple Threat begins Q7
Ratings drop for AEW and rise for NXT

AEW Finish of Hardy segment, commercials, Jericho/OC segment Q8
NXT Triple Threat continues, no commercials Q8
Ratings drop further for AEW and rise even higher for NXT

That's all that needs to be said. It's VERY clear that the Hardy segments and the Jericho/OC face-off, were not enough to keep viewers from flipping over to NXT. You're not going to flip back to AEW if you're enjoying the match on NXT. The Jericho/OC segment, in this context, is moot. If AEW viewers had obviously tuned over to NXT, they weren't going to come back to AEW. Could they have casually flipped over to AEW and back again to NXT, sure, but going into Q8, it didn't matter one way or the other.

And for those that want to compare an important and implication outcome title-match (with great wrestling), to a promo/face-off build, regardless of who they are, then go right ahead, that's your opinion. However, it also shows a preference or bias.
Aew was already set the week before,the card was already set for fighter fest.what did aew do to give people a reason to tune in to the following week,the answer nothing.and that is a major flaw in aew's storytelling,which is they could use some help.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts