Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WWE originally announced that Rusev would wrestle The Undertaker in a Casket Match at the Greatest Royal Rumble event. Then it was announced that Chris Jericho would wrestle Taker at the event. Fast forward to earlier this week, WWE revealed that Rusev vs. Taker at the show was back on.

Jericho was recently a guest on CBS Sports’ “In This Corner” podcast. During the interview, he spoke about being removed from the match. Here is what he had to say:

“For me, at this point, whether they want me to be part of the Royal Rumble or work against Undertaker or work against Funaki in a Lingerie Match, whatever they want me to do there I will. That’s the good thing about my legacy and where I am at this point of my career. I can be the opening match or the main event, whatever it is, it’s going to be good. Things changed, which is part of the world of WWE, happens all the time.

“For me, until I actually walk into the ring, sometimes you never know what is going to happen. Things get changed during the show sometimes. I think fans sometimes get a little to excited about certain things that happened and didn’t happen.”
IMO Chris Jericho is one of top 10 smartest persons that has ever been in this business and in top 3 in terms of smart wrestlers.

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts
A diplomatic answer, which nobody should be surprised about, to a stupid decision. I don't mean the decision to not have Jericho wrestle Undertaker, that's fine, but it just goes to show what a disorganized clusterfuck of a company this is. You're promoting a match, and not just any match, which would be bad enough, but an Undertaker match, and you can't figure out who you want him to wrestle? First it was Rusev, then it was Jericho, then it was Rusev again. Is it gonna be Jericho again 2 days before the show? For fucks sake. Vince needs to be out of power.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Chris Jericho said:
I think fans sometimes get a little to excited about certain things that happened and didn’t happen.
Jericho, excitement is the reaction to the promotion and hype the company & you the performers presents for a marque match...so yeah the fans get excited when they are being sold on a special attraction by you.

·
Bury me one foot for every inch of heel she's wear
2,464 Posts
Would rather Jericho v Orton in a lingerie match. Why not make this match for Saudi anyway, just a normal 1v1 match? How many times have these two been in 1v1 matches? Surely less than HHH v Cena? It’s almost as big a match imo..

Edit think RKO/Y2J have 8 1-1’s to HHH/Cena’s 6. Strange I recall so many of the latter but never the former.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Figures he's used to that after all that Draft mystery nonsense.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
TBH, I’d prefer Taker vs Rusev. It’s a match we haven’t really seen before, whereas we’ve seen Undertaker vs Jericho probably over ten times now.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
not really much to talk about, he basically doesn't care that he got taken out.

just a very diplomatic and neutral answer, not much more to say that that.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Why does it only concern Saudi fans? The event is being broadcast on the Network.
Explain why Women aren't wrestling in this event then? Saudi fans are the primary audience its upto them to get upset or not upset over what happens to Undertaker and his opponent. WWE putting it on the network is mere tokenism for the rest of us.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Explain why Women aren't wrestling in this event then? Saudi fans are the primary audience its upto them to get upset or not upset over what happens to Undertaker and his opponent. WWE putting it on the network is mere tokenism for the rest of us.
That's a political thing that has zero to do with the actual matches that are happening on this show. The matches are being broadcast for our entertainment, they could have easily made this just a non-televised event like the shows in Abu Dhabi.

If it's been broadcast to us all, it's fair game for discussion. Your logic is like saying, "why discuss Beast In The East? It's for the Japanese fans" or "why discuss the UK Tournament? It's for the UK fans."

·
Banned
47 Posts
That's a political thing that has zero to do with the actual matches that are happening on this show. The matches are being broadcast for our entertainment, they could have easily made this just a non-televised event like the shows in Abu Dhabi.
Its a saudi thing, the people of the kingdom for whom this event is catered to. It would make no difference if WWE simply made it a non-televised event. Infact, if it wasn't for the network, this would be non-televised. It doesn't concern us. I mean Triple H vs Cena? Why do you think Network viewers suddenly want this match after all these years? You're just excuses not wanting to see the obvious. This is for Saudi fans only, they are the ones who can complain, we can watch as a way of mere tokenism.

If it's been broadcast to us all, it's fair game for discussion.
No it is not fair. Because you don't hold a stake in this, so don't try to influence it. Let the Saudi fans who have a direct stake in this event do that.

Your logic is like saying, "why discuss Beast In The East? It's for the Japanese fans" or "why discuss the UK Tournament? It's for the UK fans."
And would i wrong if I said that? Beast in the east was a one time thing specifically meant for Japs and UK tournament had UK indy talents again specifically catering to UK market.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
I'm not even shocked that this company is being so fuckheaded that they'd advertise one match, cancel it for another match, and then cancel the new match in favour of the old one. Not to mention it's the first post-WrestleMania Undertaker match since like 2015. Oh and that Mania match recently was Taker squashing Cena in a ''feud'' that the company could have put effort into making possible 4-7 years ago but decided to leave it until Taker couldn't possible go even remotely the reasonable distance it would take to have that match live up to any potential. Realistically 2014 would have been nice because Taker could still go a fair distance and Cena didn't need to beat Wyatt like that. But we couldn't have had it then though! Because Lesnar needed to end Taker's streak to look more impressive for the big Reigns win the next year, only that didn't happen and despite two more 'coronations' following it, WWE had yet another Lesnar/Reigns match at the the same event as the Cena/Taker and Lesnar actually won, possibly rendering all of this useless. Y'know, on top of everything.

Anyway I don't know why Jericho went with this weird babble instead of saying he liked Rusev and was glad to see him have such an important opportunity to shine....back. To have it back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts