Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AEW World Champion Chris Jericho recently participated in an "Ask Me Anything" chat with Bleacher Report fans.

In regards to the behind-the-scenes feeling at AEW, Jericho praised the atmosphere and compared it to the difficulties of working for WWE.

"It's just a lot less stress," Jericho said. "WWE is a very stressful environment, a lot of walking on eggshells as things might get changed. It's a lot more relaxed because we're all kind of in charge of our own destinies. The creative freedom that we have is off the charts. When you come to AEW it's like going from black-and-white to living in color."

Jericho also talked about the wrestling fan of today, and how everyone is subject to plenty of criticism from wrestling fans, who can be very hard to please these days. Jericho doesn't take the heat seriously and generally lets the drama roll off his back.

"The thing about wrestling fans is, they're a lot like Kiss fans or Star Wars fans," Jericho said. "They hate everything. But they still love everything. They'll buy everything, they'll be at the shows. They just have to complain. With social media... it just gives people a forum to be mad about everything. ...

"If you're going to go into the world of social media you have to accept it when people call you the greatest thing ever but don't take it seriously. And you have to accept it when they say you're the worst piece of crap ever but don't take it seriously."

Jericho was asked about pro wrestling being able to occupy the same place in pop culture that it did back during the original Monday Night Wars between WWE RAW and WCW Nitro. He said wrestling is as good as it's ever been, in terms of quality, but the time has come and gone. He also commented on WWE being overly-scripted.

"I don't know if it could be a big part. That time has come and gone," he explained. "Wrestling itself is part of pop culture. I think right now wrestling is as good as it's ever been in terms of quality. You need that one big name star. I think WWE has gone away from that. It's very overly scripted. They don't want to put all their names in one basket."

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
See how Jericho makes the statement without coming off as a dumbfuck, Seff?

You can clearly tell within the product. Most of WWE programming feels stale, sterile, overproduced, and mundane. AEW is far from perfect and their glaring issues are still there but they provide a fresh, off the wall, exciting must-see television that people will tune in to every week as long as you don't complete insult the fans directly and keep them entertained.

It's not that hard.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,773 Posts
I wonder how much of the talent in WWE would kill to have the creative freedom that AEW gives their talent. I would love to just be a fly on the wall backstage.

I bet even Becky, Bray and Brock, WWE's 3 top stars, are still immensely frustrated in some way. What if Brock actually WANTS to cut promos and wrestle more but Vince won't let him in an effort to keep the "special" aura? We don't know shit. I'm sure Becky would like to get her character back to where it was in late 2018. And I'm sure Bray has so many ideas for The Fiend that Vince has shot down. It has to be extremely stressful, and Moxley's interview with Jericho proved it.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,920 Posts
I wonder how much of the talent in WWE would kill to have the creative freedom that AEW gives their talent. I would love to just be a fly on the wall backstage.

I bet even Becky, Bray and Brock, WWE's 3 top stars, are still immensely frustrated in some way. What if Brock actually WANTS to cut promos and wrestle more but Vince won't let him in an effort to keep the "special" aura? We don't know shit. I'm sure Becky would like to get her character back to where it was in late 2018. And I'm sure Bray has so many ideas for The Fiend that Vince has shot down. It has to be extremely stressful, and Moxley's interview with Jericho proved it.
Bigger question is how much of WWE’s talent would actually thrive in an environment with so much creative freedom. I’m sure most of them would love to be in it, but who among them has the stuff to actually take advantage of it? I’m sure there are some, I just have no idea who.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Jericho was asked about pro wrestling being able to occupy the same place in pop culture that it did back during the original Monday Night Wars between WWE RAW and WCW Nitro. He said wrestling is as good as it's ever been, in terms of quality, but the time has come and gone.
Don't show this to the casuals!

Attachments

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,920 Posts
Listening to Corbins promo on SD after hearing Cody's promo on wednesday just blows my mind how anyone would rather work there if they care about their craft.
It depends on how they were brought up in the business. Cody and Jericho, just as examples, are old-school and learned all those subtleties of the business. Too many new guys only know workrate. This is what gets Cornette’s panties in a bunch about today’s wrestling. Yeah, sometimes he gets too stuck in the past, but he’s correct about there being so much about the non-physical fundamentals of the business that are not being learned today. And that’s why, in some cases, the talent need fully-scripted promos — because I think a lot of them just don’t know that side of the craft well enough to be left to their own devices.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Wrestling won’t ever be as big as it used to be, because nothing will ever be as big as it used to be

We have entered the ‘on-demand’ era - where there are pockets of entertainment geared specifically to you.

There are no more casuals of anything (except with the older generation) - you seek out the entertainment you want, when you want

Nobody is forcing you to watch what is on at 8 on TV anymore

I belong to this wrestling forum, but also a comic book forum, and I enjoy anime with a different community, and Cooking shows with another community and Rugby with yet another

There is ZERO reason the watch something that does not interest you

It is the age of NICHE-fandom - and the quicker people accept this, the better it will be

Which is why AEWs call to cater to their fandom and then grow from there is spot-on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts