Wrestling Forum banner

What did you think of Chris Jericho's version of Dirty Diana?

• Off The Wall

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Dangerous

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A Thriller!

Votes: 3 21.4%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I still consider Jericho a WWE guy who will return in 6-12months so I thought it would be good if this topic had some more exposure.

Dirty Diana was Michael Jackson's 5th number one hit off his 30+million selling, record setting Bad album.

The song itself has been praised for Michael's versatile vocals, impressive live performance and it's rock edge.

So you would assume since Chris Jericho is a rockstar (a huge one from his gimmicks perspective) you would hope he could at least hold a candle to MJ's version.

The song begins with a heavy guitar rift intro mixed with a drum solo that's unrecognisable to the original hit. That's not bad though because you don't expect Jericho to simply copy MJ's version. Chris Jericho's raspy, monotone vocals begin around the .34 second mark to the exact same rhythm of Jackson's vocal performance of the track.

By the 0.41 second mark I turned it off. It was absolutely dreadful and the standard was so low that he wouldn't have made it through the American Idol audition stage with that.

It's sad to see a wrestler/musician who feels so strongly about music piracy record and hope people PAY for that performance. It's one of the most shocking things I've ever heard.

Chris Jericho is a decent vocalist when he can sing to his strengths. Fozzy is a pretty good band but anytime Jericho tries to sing out of his comfort zone, he takes a big s h i t on his music career and undoes lots of the good work he's made with Fozzy since All That Remains (2005). An example of that would be Redemption Song, the television show he was eliminated out of first during his first WWE sabbatical. He sang an underwhelming version of Stevie Wonder's huge hit, signed sealed delivered.

Chris Jericho is my favourite wrestler and ...Michael Jackson is my favourite musician, I never wondered what it would be like if Jericho covered an MJ track. Now I know why that thought never crossed my head, that result was what I feared, vomit.

I still love Chris Jericho and find it cool he appreciates Michael, MJ polarises opinion and I'm glad CJ on my side :p

Here's a Michael Jackson acapella version for comparison.

·
Registered
745 Posts
First and foremost, it wasn't Redemption Song where he was the first one out, it was Celebrity Duets and, in his book, he even admits that it was a very crappy performance. I haven't seen it, yet, so I can't tell. He stated if he ended up with some hard rock/heavy metal songs that he might had a stronger performances. Also, yeah, I was not feeling this cover song.

However, I somewhat disagree with the whole "When Jericho goes outside his boundaries, he will be crap." I didn't think he would do well in a southern-like rock ballad or a prog-like rock 10+ min. song but Broken Soul, Wormwood, and Storm the Beaches convince me otherwise.

However, this Dirty Diana cover song was just not really the best example that showcases Jericho as a vocalist.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First and foremost, it wasn't Redemption Song where he was the first one out, it was Celebrity Duets and, in his book, he even admits that it was a very crappy performance. I haven't seen it, yet, so I can't tell. He stated if he ended up with some hard rock/heavy metal songs that he might had a stronger performances. Also, yeah, I was not feeling this cover song.

However, I somewhat disagree with the whole "When Jericho goes outside his boundaries, he will be crap." I didn't think he would do well in a southern-like rock ballad or a prog-like rock 10+ min. song but Broken Soul, Wormwood, and Storm the Beaches convince me otherwise.

However, this Dirty Diana cover song was just not really the best example that showcases Jericho as a vocalist.

Ahh yes, my memory failed me. Celebrity Duets. Thanks for that.

I still think Wormwood, Storm the Beaches is his comfort zone, when he sings his own songs he can sing to his strengths, not the best karaoke singer.

·
GENKI D&
1,904 Posts
His work with Fozzy is really good. This is a complete motherfucking , cocksucking pile of horse shit song. Good God, it sucks. Like damn. Fuck. I rather listen to a JB/1D compilation album than that 5 minutes of Hell.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His work with Fozzy is really good. This is a complete motherfucking , cocksucking pile of horse shit song. Good God, it sucks. Like damn. Fuck. I rather listen to a JB/1D compilation album than that 5 minutes of Hell.
Let's not mix things up here.

This is a Michael Jackson song.

Yes, Chris Jericho took a dump on it and made it sound worse then Justin Bieber's recent shit but,

don't drag the epicness of Michael Jackson's Dirty Diana down into the ground because of Jericho's version. This track was Princess Diana's favourite song for fucks sake. Chris had to follow MJ and I'm afraid not even he had enough charisma and showmanship to pull that off.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,012 Posts
I am an incredibly HUGE Michael Jackson fan, it's unreal ... so I was very dubious about this, specially as I love Jericho too, I didn't want it to be a disappointment, and to be honest ... it's not actually bad at all, I expected it to be worse, his voice is in nicely tune and he's got a nice little edge to it too ... with great dynamics also.

So yeah, it's a thumbs up for me, even though this music isn't overly my thing, he's done alright with it I think.

·
Banned
2,096 Posts
God I hate metal. Just sounds like crap and a guy singing, more like whining, lyrics that I cant be bothered to distinguish. It's liek South park everything metal sounds like crap to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts