Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 21 of 96 Posts

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
12,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Konnan asked Chris Jericho, “What changes he would like to see in AEW?”: “Everything isn’t always good. We have a lot of details that sometimes slip through the cracks. We still have quite a few times when very similar angles will happen one after the other. An example of that was a few weeks ago when the big question was if MJF would join The Inner Circle. I think there was a town hall when Bischoff was asking the questions. As soon as we were done, we went to a package where Taz was asking if Hobbs will join Taz’ team. In the production meeting, I said, ‘guys, how can that even be?’ It’s the exact same thing and they didn’t notice that. I said, ‘maybe we should use that package somewhere else and in the future. Let’s not use the word join for Will and Taz.’ Let’s say ‘Are you going to come with us? Are you going to work with us? Are you going to be part of our team?’ Will MJF join The Inner Circle was the tagline for our PPV match, therefore any other joinings should be suspended for this duration. That’s just common sense but sometimes those things fall through the cracks. I would like to see a little more attention to detail.”

Jericho was asked, “who writes the show?”: “We don’t have writers and we are very proud of that fact. I book all my stuff. I think QT Marshall takes all the ideas for the week and then he formats the show. It’s always about the opening quarter, the cross over quarter and the final quarter. Tony decides where he wants that and then QT shapes up the rest of it. Tony then goes through it. It’s a weekly collaborative process for sure.”

Jericho was asked if he is doing too much comedy: “My feuds always have heat. They always have a beginning, a middle, and an end and it’s always planned out accordingly. Sometimes you might have to wait, but isn’t that what great storytelling is? I’m not the booker for anybody. I’m the booker for myself. I don’t have creative control. I did it with the whole Moxley story. I did it with the whole Cody story. I did it with the whole Orange Cassidy and now with the whole MJF. I think Moxley was 12 weeks and Cody was 10 or 12 weeks and we could have probably gone longer with that one. In order to have a story, there has to be ups and downs. The original idea and the original connection between MJF and I is the comedic element because they are very similar characters. There is a lot more to this and the idea is to make everybody a much bigger star coming out of it than they did going in. At this point in my career, all I’m about is entertaining and being creatively stimulated and not doing the same old same old. I also came up in wrestling with ‘80s WWF. Yes, we loved Andre and Hogan. Yes, we loved Steamboat and Savage. Don’t forget that Steamboat and Savage was based all around George “The Animal” Steele, the most ridiculous character of all time. There was Vince McMahon singing Stand Back with Hulk Hogan playing bass in the background. I love that stuff. I always did and Vince loves the stuff. So, I’m like, let me try some stuff. The song and dance routine, I wouldn’t do that with anybody, that was MJF’s idea by the way. The guy was a childhood prodigy. He’s been singing and dancing since he was five years old. If there was ever a time to try it, let’s do it. Are we going to do it every week? No. Is it something people will always remember? Yes.”
"

·
Premium Member
14,383 Posts
I love the idea of collaboration in pro-wrestling. it really is a team effort. Teams always lead to better results. More minds than one. Think about your job for example - in my job, it's about multidisciplinary team working to get a better result. In my job, we also involve the target person proactively. Imagine if AEW did that with the fans. Hold, i don't know, focus groups to better align the product with target audience. It's so much easier now especially with MS teams. I think they should do this.

I'm also loving to see that he knows things aren't always perfect. This is how anything gets better. The evaluation process has to see where things go wrong in order for mistakes to not be made in the future.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Jericho was asked, “who writes the show?”: “We don’t have writers and we are very proud of that fact. I book all my stuff. I think QT Marshall takes all the ideas for the week and then he formats the show. It’s always about the opening quarter, the cross over quarter and the final quarter. Tony decides where he wants that and then QT shapes up the rest of it. Tony then goes through it. It’s a weekly collaborative process for sure.”
Jesus fucking Christ!!!

Go ahead. Tell me I’m crazy. Suggest I’m wrong. I will forever refer you back to this.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
12,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the idea of collaboration in pro-wrestling. it really is a team effort. Teams always lead to better results. More minds than one. Think about your job for example - in my job, it's about multidisciplinary team working to get a better result. In my job, we also involve the target person proactively. Imagine if AEW did that with the fans. Hold, i don't know, focus groups to better align the product with target audience. It's so much easier now especially with MS teams. I think they should do this.

I'm also loving to see that he knows things aren't always perfect. This is how anything gets better. The evaluation process has to see where things go wrong in order for mistakes to not be made in the future.
I agree, it makes for a more positive backstage environment as well. There are some things that need to be tidied up in AEW as there are some flaws with the show, but I think the way they have been running things has been great for the talent involved. Having a voice that matters and team effort is big when it comes to any work environment. That way you are introduced to great ideas you never would have thought of alone.

Jesus fucking Christ!!!

Go ahead. Tell me I’m crazy. Suggest I’m wrong. I will forever refer you back to this.
Wrong and crazy about what? Did you predict that QT was formatting the show before?

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Here is QT Marshall's background according to his own Wikipedia page:

- Trained as a wrestler before debuting in 2004

- Opening level talent in ROH

- Short stint in NXT

- Produced a documentary that won a comic con film festival

- Was signed as an associate TV producer for AEW where he is formatting the show, writing it and putting it all together. He has zero experience in this role. I have more experience in this role having done a six month course when I was in my early twenties.

I won't even touch on Tony Khan's lack of experience because that speaks for itself. Why on earth is some preliminary wrestler heavily involved in the writing of the show when he has zero experience? I can't wait for someone to try and defend this one.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Jeezz. Marshal as a defacto writer. No wonder they fail from time to time. If they want it to be a wrestler, then go with Daniels, Dustin or Matt Hardy.

Edit: Not having a writer is not something they should be proud of, They don´t need to go all WWE and have a staff of 25+ writers, but there´s no pride to be taken in anarchy where everyone is in it for themselves.
A small writing team of experienced talent would be the best way to go around this. That way the production team (why is Jericho even in those meetings?) wouldn´t have to deal with things like avoiding specific words and such.

·
Registered
24,696 Posts
Jericho was asked if he is doing too much comedy: “My feuds always have heat. They always have a beginning, a middle, and an end and it’s always planned out accordingly. Sometimes you might have to wait, but isn’t that what great storytelling is? I’m not the booker for anybody. I’m the booker for myself. I don’t have creative control. I did it with the whole Moxley story. I did it with the whole Cody story. I did it with the whole Orange Cassidy and now with the whole MJF. I think Moxley was 12 weeks and Cody was 10 or 12 weeks and we could have probably gone longer with that one. In order to have a story, there has to be ups and downs.
Mans didn't even answer the question lol. Good spin though at least. Going to have to catch the interview if it's Konnan's podcast. I like him he's really honest, but fair.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts

- Short stint in NXT

- Was signed as an associate TV producer for AEW where he is formatting the show, writing it and putting it all together. He has zero experience in this role. I have more experience in this role having done a six month course when I was in my early twenties.

I won't even touch on Tony Khan's lack of experience because that speaks for itself. Why on earth is some preliminary wrestler heavily involved in the writing of the show when he has zero experience? I can't wait for someone to try and defend this one.
I wonder why Cody rHHHodes gets so much tv time?

But that’s all just a work, right!?

Reactions: BigCy and fabi1982

·
Registered
8,066 Posts

- Short stint in NXT

@TeamLouie ......that you brah?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I had no idea that QT had that much influence to be honest! Good on him I guess! With that said, maybe a bit more leadership with storylines is needed to ensure that everything is living up to the obviously better feuds.

Jericho's reference to 80's WWF is something that sprung to my mind too with the whole rock and wrestling movement. I also love Jericho's throwback to 80's wrestling in that his face now goes almost as red as Brother Love's.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
What I don't get are people who complain that WWE isn't making stars yet complain when AEW are clearly trying to make one. What do you want?
I believe in making stars. I don’t believe in one or two stars holding a monopoly on that. I believe in securing the company first and foremost. Cody rHHHodes has had a year of eating TV time to get himself over. At what point does anyone else stand a chance to build THEIR star power?

This is about Cody Runnels going into business for himself at the expense of every one of the boys in the back. It isn’t a work. It isn’t a storyline. It’s the worst parts of WCW and wrestling in general.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I believe in making stars. I don’t believe in one or two stars holding a monopoly on that. I believe in securing the company first and foremost. Cody rHHHodes has had a year of eating TV time to get himself over. At what point does anyone else stand a chance to build THEIR star power?

This is about Cody Runnels going into business for himself at the expense of every one of the boys in the back. It isn’t a work. It isn’t a storyline. It’s the worst parts of WCW and wrestling in general.
You can clearly see that they're slow-burning a lot of stars - many of which people had never heard of just over a year ago. Plus, he's effectively been building credibility for a midcard title, which he just gave a rub to one of these new stars by passing it to them.

If he was truly going into business for himself, he would have been the World Champion by now, if not the entire time. If he were truly Cody rHHHodes, he would open the show with a 30 minute promo every night and end the night in the main event. That does not happen at all.

In general, it's been pretty obvious that The Elite have been mindful about not taking the titles on the gates; something which they could have reasonably done with Kenny and the Bucks.

·
Registered
12,600 Posts

- Short stint in NXT

And it kicks NXT's ass regularly and that is ran by HHH and HBK. You have more experience and yet there you sit and there he is.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I don’t ask for much in life but if somebody could bring this to Jim Cornette’s attention so I can listen to his thoughts on it on the drive thru I will be forever grateful
Yeah. It will be fun watching him brush over any opportunity to call out Cody until Brian Last forces his hand.

Reactions: Hitman1987

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
You can clearly see that they're slow-burning a lot of stars - many of which people had never heard of just over a year ago. Plus, he's effectively been building credibility for a midcard title, which he just gave a rub to one of these new stars by passing it to them.

If he was truly going into business for himself, he would have been the World Champion by now, if not the entire time. If he were truly Cody rHHHodes, he would open the show with a 30 minute promo every night and end the night in the main event. That does not happen at all.
The World Title does not get as much TV time for building feuds. Darby won the title and was forced to eat the pinfall in his first match after winning the title. The TNT champion had to lay in the corner while Team Taz’s focus was on Cody.

Don’t give me this bullshit. Cody clearly isn’t fucking going out of his way to make anyone a star.

Reactions: BigCy

·
None. More. Hated.
7,399 Posts
And it kicks NXT's ass regularly and that is ran by HHH and HBK. You have more experience and yet there you sit and there he is.
Dude you're comparing a show that has Moxley, Omega, Jericho, Cage, FTR, The Young Bucks, Cody, Tazz, Jake the Snake, Archer, etc to a show that has Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch in a main event angle.

Get some understanding my dude.

1 - 21 of 96 Posts