Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to eat your vitamins and say your prayers.

Hulkamania is going to run wild.

Chris Hemsworth will star as wrestling superstar Hulk Hogan in a biopic that reunites Todd Phillips with Scott Silver, the respective director and writer of the upcoming DC Comics movie, The Joker.

Deals for the Hogan project are in the midst of closing with Netflix. Producing will be Michael Sugar, the Academy Award winner behind Spotlight who will produce via his Netflix-based Sugar23, and Phillips and Bradley Cooper who will produce via their banner, Joint Effort. Also producing will be Hemsworth and Eric Bischoff.

One of the biggest names in wrestling of all time, Hogan was a fixture on TV sets in 1980s America as part of the World Wrestling Federation, parlaying his championships-winning leg drops and star power into forays into movies and television, endorsements and video games.

Born Terry Gene Bollea, Hogan began his career in the late 1970s in the Florida fighting circuit and when he started in the WWF frequently squared off against Andre the Giant as a villainous fighter. When Vince McMahon took over the company and began expanding it into a national presence, Hogan was its face and by then a hero persona. By the end of the '80s, he was one of the Me Decade’s key personalities, gracing magazine covers, appearing on nightly talk shows, and even headlining a Saturday morning cartoon.

In the 21st century, however, Hogan’s fortunes were see-sawing as personal conflicts overtook those inside the ring. Most notably, he was embroiled in a sex tape scandal, with the wife of a friend and radio personality, including a years-long lawsuit that precipitated the end of Gawker and led to Hogan receiving tens of millions of dollars in a settlement.

The biopic will not delve into those years or attempt to encompass an entire life. Instead sources say it will focus on the Hogan’s rise and is described as an origin story of the Hulkster and Hulkamania.

The deal, which took months to put together, will include life rights with Bollea acting as a consultant on the movie as well as executive producer. Also exec producing will be Sugar23's Ashley Zalta.

Steve Desmond and Michael Sherman will co-produce the project, which is in the early stages.

Hemsworth, repped by CAA, Fourward, and Ganeg Tyre, has to major tentpoles opening this summer: Avengers: Endgame, which hits April 26, and Men in Black: International, which releases June 14.

Phillips was a producer on the Oscar-nominated smash, A Star Is Born, and is the director of The Hangover movie series. The Joker opens Oct. 4.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/chris-hemsworth-play-hulk-hogan-biopic-1186126

I'm not sold on the casting choice. They will have to prove me wrong that this won't suck.

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
Should have had a black guy play Hulk Hogan :lmao

I'm more interested in who will play all the other wrestlers, especially Andre. I'll see it regardless of terrible it looks because it's a biopic on arguably the biggest wrestling star of all time.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Should have had a black guy play Hulk Hogan :lmao

I'm more interested in who will play all the other wrestlers, especially Andre. I'll see it regardless of terrible it looks because it's a biopic on arguably the biggest wrestling star of all time.
Big Show could play Andre.

James McAvoy for Piper after seeing McAvoy in split, and John Goodman as Stg. Slaughter.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's done an amazing job playing Thor in the MCU, Interested to see if he can hold up to Hogan's intensity.
I agree with your first point, but I'm not convinced Hemsworth can believably become Hulk Hogan/Terry Bollea. Maybe if this will be a tongue-in-cheek parody.

·
40,762 Posts
I shudder to think how sanitized a Netflix Motley Crue movie will be.

John Goodman is great but he's way too old to play Slaughter of that era. No I don't have a better specific casting. Cast anyone that is big and can do Sgt. Slaughter lol.

I'm most interested in who would be the Iron Sheik.

Also Vince of course.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Linda Bollea will also be a key casting choice as the film covers Terry's home life.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,032 Posts
Agree with @Clique; that this casting is probably not especially inspiring.

Based on his previous performances, Chris Hemsworth seems to possess a natural charisma as an actor that would translate solidly toward the depiction of Larger-Than-Life WWF mega-star Hulk Hogan. So on that front he is probably going to deliver. It is everywhere else, in portraying Terry Bollea, his strengths, his insecurities, regrets, moments of selfishness, all of that, which is worrisome.

Nonetheless, Hemsworth may succeed. What was it that Alan Alda liked to say? For the average actor it takes fifteen years to become good. :lol Unsure of how long Hemsworth has been acting but indeed...

MrMr is correct; John Goodman is far too old to play 1980s-1990s Sgt. Slaughter.

Camera angles and other forms of Hollywood trickery tend to be deployed in these matters. Not always, of course, but because Kit Harington is like 5'2" in reality (not quite but having walked by him in San Francisco a few years back, if you are a tall fellow he might as well be a fourth-grader) the actor who plays Tormund Giantsbane looks like this enormous beast when in reality Kristofer Hivju is a rather ordinary 6'0".

If the film is to stick with reality the Hulkster met Linda when she was around 20 years of age. So it will be a little difficult to find someone who will pass for being that youthful while also aging as the tale progresses, if it does in the way the above OP story suggests.

It is going to be Margot Robbie, isn't it?

·
Registered
322 Posts
That should be fun. Hemsworth is a really talented actor, I'm for sure looking forward to seeing it!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I think he could pull it off.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts