Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
NBA
6,480 Posts
Nail head. It's astonishing. Everyone from promoters to fans are still stuck in late 90s

Let's see...

Late 90s WWE started airing shows with Titan tron on left and fireworks ...2021 that's still the case

Late 90s two wrestlers would randomly come out and talk either solo in front of crowd or with another wrestler back and forth...this is still by far and away the most frequent type of segment outside an actual match on Raw or SD

In late 90s matches were filled with dqs, run-ins etc. Matches today are still filled with run-ins and dqs

Authority figures began dominating tv in late 90s.. authority figures still dominate today just last Monday mainevent of ppv was changed by authority figure.
To that, I'll add:

Gen-x shock culture gimmicks like cult leaders out of a Marilyn Manson videoclip (Dark Order, Wyatt Family, Messiah, SES pretty much like the ministry of darkness, the Flock, Fallen Angel Chris Daniels or RTC), possessed or supernatural people out of some stuff from Image Comics (Fiend, current Alexa, same way you had Taker, Kane & the Brood. Hell, even if he ain't supernatural Killer Kross' schtick with Scarlett is very 90s comics like asthetics wise)

90s TV angles like delusional obsessive person trying to be part of a group and supplant one of the original members (this Triiconics would've been like that had it gotten greenlighted), wedding, pregnancies & paternities, occasional storyline about sympathetic and not very attractive dudebro (movies starring mentally challenged people were a trend in the 90s and early 00s) trying to get the hot bombshell all the while being bullied by more attractive heels, lesbic undertones during propgrams between attractive females (they don't do this more often because they'd get shat on).

New and/or alternative rock & metal aesthetics for most of the roster and themes that would make one wonder if the shows are taking place in an alternate universe where music tastes haven't moved on from 01. Even when they go for rap themes, they sound like out of the mid 00s rather than something that'd be trend today (Expect wwe to go full on with trap by 2035, once it's become absolutely passe)

They started to change things the past 5 years, but it's been a very slow process and they don't change the overall philosophy that much.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I mean... "bride dumped at wedding and continues to wear her wedding dress everywhere as she spirals further into madness" sounds bad on paper too but she made it work.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I mean... "bride dumped at wedding and continues to wear her wedding dress everywhere as she spirals further into madness" sounds bad on paper too but she made it work.

see i loved that wedding and everything about it lol... remember how allie came down in that hot ass dress and everyone reacted like she was busted in character?

·
Registered
394 Posts
True that. Chelsea is hot ill give her that.

Here's one gimmick that went through and Vince approved. I don't know if Chelsea herself had the idea or it was Vince or a writer but after her debut match were she was supposed to win she was to have a post match mic segment where she says she's victorious and her name was to change from Chelsea Green to Victorious.

Topic comes in at about 22 minutes

That actually would have been pretty cool and unique. There are a lot of plays on words that could have been done with that.

I appreciate her passion when she's speaking about these things. You can tell she really wanted to succeed in WWE.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts