Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
October 28th, 2010- My return to WF
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of money saving meal ideas for the college kid or struggling apartment renter. Basically I am going to be moving into my own place while going to school and I need ideas for cheap food.

So far I have:
- Cereal and milk
- Oatmeal w/ raisins and/or brown sugar
- Tuna and bread
- Peanut butter and bread

Preferably, all food groups would like to be covered but basically if you have any ideas for cheap meals, post!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I was on a tight budget through grad school and my first job outside of it:

Mac and Cheese
Hot dogs
Scrambled eggs
Any type of soup
Pasta and sauce (toss some veggies right in there, like peas, zucchini, etc.)
Naomi. . . I mean, Hamburger Helper. Get it? It was her costume!

Honestly, buy fresh fruit and vegetables, and prep it yourself. Apples, oranges, bananas, broccoli, it's all reasonably priced.

Alot of times, as well, you can make things yourself and "batch cook." Instead of making a can of soup, buy the ingredients and make three or four meals out of it. Some soups freeze really well. You pay up front with groceries, but save money through the week, and it may seem like it's adding up, but you're saving in the long haul. Buy a big bag of chicken breast cutlets, and make several at a time, cooking and adding whatever sauces you like. . . there are cheap ways to make several! The food is prepared and all you have to do is toss it in the microwave. . . you'll be less tempted to go out and grab something if you need to eat quickly, and it's already in the container for travel. This is better for you, too, since if you've ever seen sodium content in packaged foods, it's incredibly high!

My friends go to the store on Sunday, and they cook everything they're going to eat through Friday that afternoon. . .

There are some VERY easy things for you to make, so you don't need to really know how to cook. . .

·
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ramen, obviously.
eh... something that wont deprive my body of health would be nice lol

Shining_Wizard1979 said:
I was on a tight budget through grad school and my first job outside of it:

Mac and Cheese
Hot dogs
Scrambled eggs
Any type of soup
Pasta and sauce (toss some veggies right in there, like peas, zucchini, etc.)
Naomi. . . I mean, Hamburger Helper. Get it? It was her costume!

Honestly, buy fresh fruit and vegetables, and prep it yourself. Apples, oranges, bananas, broccoli, it's all reasonably priced.

Alot of times, as well, you can make things yourself and "batch cook." Instead of making a can of soup, buy the ingredients and make three or four meals out of it. Some soups freeze really well. You pay up front with groceries, but save money through the week, and it may seem like it's adding up, but you're saving in the long haul. Buy a big bag of chicken breast cutlets, and make several at a time, cooking and adding whatever sauces you like. . . there are cheap ways to make several! The food is prepared and all you have to do is toss it in the microwave. . . you'll be less tempted to go out and grab something if you need to eat quickly, and it's already in the container for travel. This is better for you, too, since if you've ever seen sodium content in packaged foods, it's incredibly high!

My friends go to the store on Sunday, and they cook everything they're going to eat through Friday that afternoon. . .

There are some VERY easy things for you to make, so you don't need to really know how to cook. . .
i am actually not too bad of a cook, and with the internet i have an endless cookbook, but you said soups... do you mean like Chunky soups with all the veggies and stuff or just like chicken noodle and tomato type soups? also like i said above, something that has some nutrition would be nice, which is why i ruled out hamburger helper and ramen. and that idea of cooking everything for the week seems like a good idea! and does anyone know at all if frozen veggies (in the bag) can be thawed for snacking or garnishing purposes? because as nutrition is kind of one of my things, i would much rather have raw veggies as opposed to cooked.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Thats like BEYOND cheap :eek:

I was thinking of suggesting stuff like Stoufers TV dinners (They are like $2.00 and decent) , or Dollar menu food at drive throughs (Like 1-3 items to make it a meal)

Or yes , like someone else said , get a GF and mooch all of her food :agree:

·
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats like BEYOND cheap :eek:

I was thinking of suggesting stuff like Stoufers TV dinners (They are like $2.00 and decent) , or Dollar menu food at drive throughs (Like 1-3 items to make it a meal)

Or yes , like someone else said , get a GF and mooch all of her food :agree:
my girlfriend will be living with me which is why i need cheap food.. i gotta cook for 2. and i plan on going pretty cheap man. i love having money and if i have to eat more basic foods then so be it. im gonna have to pay my rent on top of my bills, gas, AND food plus my girlfriend. and other random expenses like soap and toilet paper and stuff like that. dollar menu stuff is not really my cup of tea, as i would rather just buy all of the ingredients and make my own cheeseburgers or tacos or etc.

·
Banned
4,479 Posts
Pizza man !
Most places now you can get a large pizza for $10.
A large pizza you can probably get 3-4 meals out of it.... if you don't eat much even more.
That's like $3 a meal for something that doesn't suck.

Also rice cakes with peanut butter spread over them = win and cheap and filling
Protein shakes. You can buy like hunger control protein powder that you just mix with water. A lot of them taste like shit , but still they have about 11-20+ servings for $15-20 bucks

Also taco bell.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Pizza thats a good one , Pizza Mia at Pizza hut is $5 for a whole pizza that tastes pretty good. Problem is theres only so much of it you can eat before you're so tired of it you never wanna see one again. Same with any food really.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,974 Posts
Cereal is probably the most overpriced food known to man.

If you want a load of cheap shit, with little health value, buy anything and everything that comes in a tin.

·
Registered
85 Posts
eh... something that wont deprive my body of health would be nice lol

i am actually not too bad of a cook, and with the internet i have an endless cookbook, but you said soups... do you mean like Chunky soups with all the veggies and stuff or just like chicken noodle and tomato type soups? also like i said above, something that has some nutrition would be nice, which is why i ruled out hamburger helper and ramen. and that idea of cooking everything for the week seems like a good idea! and does anyone know at all if frozen veggies (in the bag) can be thawed for snacking or garnishing purposes? because as nutrition is kind of one of my things, i would much rather have raw veggies as opposed to cooked.
I would suggest those chunky soups. Be aware that some of them require, that you simmer meat and/or vegetables for an hour or more.
Also seitan (a vegetarian meat substitute) is really cheap, if you prepare it yourself. All you need is flour, water and some spices.

·
Registered
275 Posts
pasta in tomato sauce with veggies - cheap and fairly good for you.
Stir frys are dead quick and easy.
Casseroles are always good - you can make loads in one go then freeze it.
Cous cous is a favourite of mine and it is very filling, add whatever meat/veggies wou want.
Curries/pizza for when you are feeling lazy. It has to be done!

Get fruit and veg from the market if possible, it is much cheaper than the supermarkets and buy all dry food (pasta, rice etc) in bulk because it works out very cheap. Most frozen veg can be eaten raw (after defrosting) but not all so make sure that you check the packet first. Bread for toast is much cheaper than cereal in the mornings and yoghurt makes a good snack food. I'm not sure where you are but my local supermarket sells 4 yoghurts for 29p. Yummy!

·
Is a Snit Head
22,349 Posts
You need to find an all you can eat buffet and eat one huge meal in the middle of the day and some snacks during the rest of the day. I can get as much food as I want for $7, and it's pretty damn, and I usually eat that and a little something at night.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts

·
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
very helpful! this will get a lot of viewing done in my spare time!

pasta in tomato sauce with veggies - cheap and fairly good for you.
Stir frys are dead quick and easy.
Casseroles are always good - you can make loads in one go then freeze it.
Cous cous is a favourite of mine and it is very filling, add whatever meat/veggies wou want.
Curries/pizza for when you are feeling lazy. It has to be done!

Get fruit and veg from the market if possible, it is much cheaper than the supermarkets and buy all dry food (pasta, rice etc) in bulk because it works out very cheap. Most frozen veg can be eaten raw (after defrosting) but not all so make sure that you check the packet first. Bread for toast is much cheaper than cereal in the mornings and yoghurt makes a good snack food. I'm not sure where you are but my local supermarket sells 4 yoghurts for 29p. Yummy!
4 yogurts here (Minnesota, USA) would cost from like $2-$3 depending on brand. what is cous cous exactly though? otherwise stir frys seem like a nice way to go! one problem... the girlfriend dislikes vegetables and i really love them! i guess i gotta make her like them! it seems to be the cheap way to eat!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts