Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before we start: Sure, it is fine to promote Rhea and NXT. But they could have been more creative to do that.

I see no reason - kayfabewise - that Charlotte now really challenged Rhea for the NXT title. There are many reasons for a challenge, but none is working here.

- Personal issues / feud
Charlotte had no problem with Rhea or vice versa, before that thing started.

- Missing title
Charlotte already had the NXT title, as she was on NXT.

- Completing Grand Slam
For completing the Grand Slam, she could have challenged KW and teamed up with Natalya or somebody else.

- Moving to a bigger brand
Charlotte is already on RAW. If she wants - for whatever reason - to go to FOX, she could have challenged the SD champ. But why should the queen challenge the NXT champ to go back to NXT afterwards at FailSail? That makes - kayfabewise - no sense to me, sorry. Not even Andrade is at NXT and her dad is more into the big money stuff.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
But ...

They literally gave a perfectly good reason when Charlotte cut a promo saying she wanted a fresh opponent. The 2 main roster champions are people she's faced over and over in the past. So she uses her Rumble win to select the one other title she can challenge for - and she gets her wish for a new opponent in Ripley.

That is a more logical, straightforward reason for the match than pretty much anything else that's planned for Mania!

·
\m/
23,470 Posts
Charlotte very much said it cleary on her promo which went along the lines of "I've already won the RAW and SD titles multiple times and have also beaten Becky and Bayley multiple times". Rhea then came out to tell Charlotte that she hasn't beaten her and that she has actually beaten Charlotte. It is quite a straightforward setup.

They also intend for the match to elevate NXT (having it be at Mania too) and it is also to put over Rhea big time who is someone they are incredibly high on and no doubt see as the future of the division.

·
The Babyface of WF
10,838 Posts
It's simple.

Charlotte could have decided to challenge Becky or Bayley for their respective Championships as they are indeed above the NXT variant but low and behold Rhea made the challenge herself goading her into a match between the two, Now Flair logically shouldn't have even thought about accepting a scenario where she wins the first Title she held that put her on the map in the first place but as you would usually see on WWE tv Charlotte already had her mind made up the moment she decided to show up at NXT two weeks ago and further more was double teamed by Ripley and Bianca, She was pressured into it and took the bait that's it, Grand slam achievement or not the Tag Titles are beneath the NXT Women's Championship in reality in terms of prestige she knows she can get a bigger spot on the card against a Top star so other than Ripley baiting her successfully it's just a matter of booking logic that makes it so, It just happens.

Also If she declined the offer that would stir a problem since NXT is now considered their third brand and supposedly on equal footing in their eyes, Rhea is a star in the making who hasn't even been promoted to the MR yet she's already groomed for stardom when she's called and who better than Flair to give her the rub prior to making her MR full time debut, I don't really buy Flair considering Ripley a fresh opponent and nothing else she won the RR and it's about the Title that's what the opportunity is all about as well as a bigger spot on the bigger stage.

She chose the less important Title being held by someone who's got star potential and she realizes that.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A new challenger you can get in so many way, but wasting the RR free challenge for that? IdK. Also she could have waited, maybe Bayley or Becky (to Shayna) drop the title. Also, sorry to say that, she lost so often against Becky, that challenging Becky again had not been totally out of mind.

About grand slam champion: Orton won the US title to complete some achievement or something and was seriously into that after the PPV. In 10 years, being Grand Slam Champion means much more, than going back to NXT to win the title there one more time.

Also she should give a damn about Rhea or somebody else asking to be challenged. lol. She won the freaking Royal Rumble and she can do what she want.

What is next? Winning the RR and waiting for the NXT UK champ to come out and asking for a challenge, so the future RR winner works in UK one year later? ;) I didn`t know, that winning the RR is a career downer. ;)

·
Southern Pride
2,906 Posts
It makes more sense in the world than Charlotte challenging Becky or Bayley again after both have beaten her many times in the last few years.

Charlotte wanted a fresh opponent and a fresh challenge, in comes Rhea Ripley who wants to add prestige to that NXT Womens Championship and be at WrestleMania. Makes all the sense in the world.

The Womens Royal Rumble winner last year won both the RAW and Smackdown belts at WrestleMania. Whether Charlotte challenged Becky or Bayley, it was going to be far less as interesting as that Triple threat and double belt main event Championship match last year.

So doing something different with the Royal Rumble winner this year that would have a better chance of being exciting is a welcome change and wasn't a waste.

Not sure what the NXT UK Champion has anything to do with this. Theres a pretty big gap between NXT and NXT UK as far as interest in the product. Don't under value NXT when they have so much talent that probably would be on RAW or Smackdown by now if they never went to the USA Channel. It's no longer a step down.

·
Premium Member
16,727 Posts
Charlotte didn't challenge for the NXT title.

Rhea challenged and Charlotte accepted. The new kid on the block thinks they can beat up the older kid, even attacks them. Now the older kid is going to beat up the new kid and embarrass them. Charlotte is the older kid, the 'veteran', in this case. Rhea is the new kid.

I don't understand how super, simple story lines are overthought by smarks.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Charlotte didn't challenge for the NXT title.

Rhea challenged and Charlotte accepted. The new kid on the block thinks they can beat up the older kid, even attacks them. Now the older kid is going to beat up the new kid and embarrass them. Charlotte is the older kid, the 'veteran', in this case. Rhea is the new kid.

I don't understand how super, simple story lines are overthought by smarks.
ROFL, better start understanding yourself, before you try your false theories on others. :)

New kid on the block would be right for RAW at best. So it is not about the title? mmh ....
To get such a new challenger from NXT, she can go anytime down to NXT and do an open challenge. It is absolutly not necessary to win the Royal Rumble before. She could have done that in NXT and still challenged someone else for the other titles.

If NXT is so great, why NXT UK is not? About NXT being on the same level: SD got five times as much viewers. Charlotte could also challenge Nikki Cross, which is on SD.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This thread makes no sense because Rhea challenged Charlotte and has been goading her into a match since. What you should be asking is why Charlotte accepted
You are right, Rhea asked her for. Rhea is at WM this way, good for her.
Technically Charlotte used her Royal Rumble victory to setup a match with Rhea at WM. So therefore (technically) Charlotte challenged Rhea, not vice versa. And that is the point which makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
All of this confusion could have been avoided if they didn't hand Charlotte literally every accomplisment possible. Now she is just grasping at straws when it come to Wrestlemania. They HAD to give her that Rumble win just to pad her legacy but it really wasn't needed since Rhea basically challenged her anyways. Why not have whoever is going to face Bayley win the rumble?

·
Premium Member
16,727 Posts
ROFL, better start understanding yourself, before you try your false theories on others. :)

New kid on the block would be right for RAW at best. So it is not about the title? mmh ....
To get such a new challenger from NXT, she can go anytime down to NXT and do an open challenge. It is absolutly not necessary to win the Royal Rumble before. She could have done that in NXT and still challenged someone else for the other titles.

If NXT is so great, why NXT UK is not? About NXT being on the same level: SD got five times as much viewers. Charlotte could also challenge Nikki Cross, which is on SD.
False theories? If you don't watch WWE don't complain about it. Rhea challenged Charlotte. Charlotte accepted. The End. You'd know this if you watched the show. I barely watch and I know this, enough to comment on it. If you didn't like the analogy, too bad. I put as much thought into that analogy as you did this thread; apparently none.

If you're so concerned with Kayfabe, then tell me how Charlotte, a Raw superstar, is allowed to challenge for the NXT title? There are women wrestler's down in NXT who compete for #1 contendership. Charlotte is not on that roster. Not allowed to compete for it. The End.

If you want to argue it's a bad decision, go right ahead. Charlotte didn't need the rumble victory to setup this match. It wasted the Rumble win because we could have had the exact same setup without Charlotte winning. If you want to argue ratings, NXT UK not being great, go right ahead. But, your OP said it doesn't make sense Kayfabe which is not true. It might be the shittiest way to do it, but it's still within the rules of WWE. Whatever those are worth.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Its the quickest simplest way to get two wrestlers who have no prior history with each and no heat.

The.. Im better than you.

No, im better than you

I beat you.

That was in a triple threat! You cant beat me 1 on 1.

Oh yeah? My metaphorically imaginary balls are bigger than yours.

You wish bitch, I got the biggest imaginary ones here.

Oh yeah? Prove it.

Match set

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder people here buy that storyline. Charlotte won the RR and Rhea asked her to challenge her. Or she challenged her to challenge. From Rheas perspective that made sense, because she goes to WM this way. But not for Charlotte. She just wastes her RR shot on Rhea for no convincing reason. Charlotte got nothing to win, see also below, except she wants to work in NXT. For whatever reason ...

But, your OP said it doesn't make sense Kayfabe which is not true. It might be the shittiest way to do it, but it's still within the rules of WWE. Whatever those are worth.
The WWE rules are adjustable anyway. One week it is "wildcard baby" and the next week the walls between the brands are up. Title owners stayed away from RR, but not always.

But why should the wrestling character Charlotte use her RR-victory, which doesn`t happen everyday, for this purpose? Rhea got the NXT title since 2 months, that`s it.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
It would have made more sense if Rhea had eliminated her in the Rumble and then someone else won, Flair believes she should have won so targets Rhea to take something from her, would have made more sense to have Shayna win the rumble and then attack Becky, but they've just announced the women's Elimination Chamber match so she's winning her way in another way.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
It would have made more sense if Rhea had eliminated her in the Rumble and then someone else won, Flair believes she should have won so targets Rhea to take something from her, would have made more sense to have Shayna win the rumble and then attack Becky, but they've just announced the women's Elimination Chamber match so she's winning her way in another way.
Or just let Shayna win, Charlie shit talks NXT due to this, Rhea comes out, voila,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.