Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Getting molested by Bill DeMott
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclosure: Orton mark speaking.

I just wanted to get a discussion going on the matter of the difference between charisma and mic skills as I think the line between them is often blurred in our discussion of the current WWE product.
firstly the definition of charisma is "A rare personal quality attributed to leaders who arouse fervent popular devotion and enthusiasm.", whereas microphone skills is pretty self-explanatory - the ability to work the microphone in a promo situation.
In discussion of WWE superstars I have often heard how someone lacks charisma eg Orton. In this particular case it's put down to his admittedly average mic skills as a babyface. The ironic thing about this is he fits into the definition of charisma quite well( His consistent push for the last 10 years is also a factor but considering his recent uppermidcard feuds and putting over of younger (and older) stars you would think this would diminish his popularity significantly if he did not possess this trait.
Now I know some of you may feel that the two are intrinsically linked to one another in that a great microphone worker must be very charismatic but I bring you to the case of Arn Anderson, one of the finest inring competitors of the eighties whose version of the spinebuster has influenced the movesets of many recent top stars like Triple H and SCSA. Arn has shown time and time again that he is one hell of a mic worker possibly(I say possibly to avoid a flame war, I personally do think he is as good if not better) even greater than Ric Flair himself at times. Now for the hard part- However, I do not believe that Anderson possessed charisma on par with his mic skills. He certainly was a charismatic individual behind the scenes as evidenced by the respect he has earned from his peers but as an in ring competitor I feel it was his inability to show this charisma to the fans which held him back and prevented him from becoming a true top tier star.
Well after those possibly controversial statements I would to present another case, this time I will talk about the Charismatic enigma, Jeff Hardy. The nickname is well earned in my opinion. I am not a Hardy fan currently though I was a huge mark for Team Extreme back in the late 90's to early 00's. Hardy is a prime example of an average mic worker in my view but the devotion he receives from his loyal support is indicative of the man's natural charisma(once again I have to qualify this with mentioning that his 'spots' have assisted his popularity but why does they're are many other spot-monkeys out there who have not garnered this sort of popularity). Hardy's example clearly shows that mic skills and charisma are not as linked as some people may believe.
In closing, I hope I have made my views clear for you to read and all comments are welcome, negative or positive, on my view. Also, If this has been done to death previously I apologize for wasting your time, I couldn't find any threads on this recently so I thought i would be a good topic for discussion.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
You know how guys like Austin and The Rock were said to be themselves only with the volume turned way up? Orton hasn't figured how to turn his volume up. He has a certian charisma in the ring when making a comeback, but virtually no personality in any other situation. That's the only reason he isn't The Rock to John Cena's Austin.

There is no way AA was ever close to better than Flair at anything involving a promo.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts
I get your point. I think Orton receives a lot of unwarranted hatred in the IWC because he is a babyface first and he is mediocre when it comes to mic skills. He is still charismatic.

Jeff hardy example was spot on. Jeff is twice as charismatic compared to superstars like CM Punk but horrible on the mic.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Good read, and I agree. Charisma is a quality that a person has that can appeal to a large group of people. That is why I laugh when people say guys like Ryder, Morrison, and Sheamus have no charisma. These three might not be top tier speakers who are naturally gifted on the microphone, no, but they do have qualities that appeal to many people. Like you mentioned Jeff Hardy, and how his spots appeal to people. Morrison is the same way. Not to mention both Hardy and Morrison have a look that appeals to many people.

Most of the people here say John Cena is not very good on the mic. Does that mean he has no charisma? Because anyone who says that is a moron, and this is coming from someone who strongly dislikes Cena's character.

Reactions: Mr. Socko

·
Registered
635 Posts
Heheh, when I read the first sentence containing "the difference between charisma and mic skills," I kid you not, Arn Anderson was the first person that came to mind. Undoubtedly one of the best mic workers the industry's ever had, but unfortunately had the charisma of your average toaster.

It is said that in most professions the three key ingredients for success are enthusiasm, talent, and hard work -- and that you can succeed with only two of those as long as one is enthusiasm. Well, I think pro wrestling is a slight variation on that; if enthusiasm and charisma are in the same ballpark, AA was proof that you could succeed with an abundance of talent and enthusiasm be damned.

·
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it took you 6 years to disclose a difference between mic skills and charisma on Orton.......I am speechless.
I'm guessing the six years is to do with when I joined the forum? Not exactly sure of the relevance of that to this topic. If you could point out the relevance I would be grateful. This isn't some magic revelation I have come to that I simply must share with you all, It's just a topic I happened to think of when reading the forums recently that I would like to know other people's views on. If you disagree with anything said in my post please elaborate on why you disagree as that is usually the function of a forum.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I'm guessing the six years is to do with when I joined the forum? Not exactly sure of the relevance of that to this topic. If you could point out the relevance I would be grateful. This isn't some magic revelation I have come to that I simply must share with you all, It's just a topic I happened to think of when reading the forums recently that I would like to know other people's views on. If you disagree with anything said in my post please elaborate on why you disagree as that is usually the function of a forum.
Given the number of posts you have and the time you been on the forum ( yes 6 years ) it took you some time to place something so simple as what the difference is between one and another. Happy now?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I get your point. I think Orton receives a lot of unwarranted hatred in the IWC because he is a babyface first and he is mediocre when it comes to mic skills. He is still charismatic.

Jeff hardy example was spot on. Jeff is twice as charismatic compared to superstars like CM Punk but horrible on the mic.
Orton is one of the most charismatic guy in the roster. But hes terrible on mic.
CM Punk is far less charismatic but hes great on mic.
That's a fucking joke... Punk is twice as charismatic as Jeff Hardy, and ten times as charismatic as Blandy Boreton. Punk oozes charisma. I don't know what the hell is wrong with some of you people.fpalm

·
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OMG dude. Please enlighten your ridiculous claim that Orton is the most charismatic wrestler on the roster. He has no personality.
This is the kind of discussion I think is valuable here. Clearly, you believe that one's personality is vital to their charisma. In my view, personality can enhance the charisma of a performer but a strong personality is not always vital to charisma. Orton's persona is very driven and ruthless with little development outside of this and yet he remains charismatic in that he can inspire devotion from fans through his mannerisms, inring style and actions.
Actually i think Ultimate warrior and Batista are both good examples of how inring mannerisms can contribute to one's charisma. the shaking of the ropes got the crowd going and showed intensity in each of them which fans could get behind.
I'd like to know other people's views on "in-ring" charisma as i think it is sometimes overlooked by us as it tends to be a trait of many of the bodybuilders we so detest on this forum :p

·
Registered
281 Posts
OMG dude. Please enlighten your ridiculous claim that Orton is the most charismatic wrestler on the roster. He has no personality.
It's not about personality. You can see his charisma when he is in ring. See at his face, feel the charisma. I am not an Orton fan but I can say he is charismatic.
See this:

That's fucking joke... Punk is twice as charismatic as Jeff Hardy, and ten times as charismatic as Blandy Boreton. Punk oozes charisma. I don't know what the hell is wrong with some of you people.fpalm
Punk looked weak when he got no mic.

·
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Given the number of posts you have and the time you been on the forum ( yes 6 years ) it took you some time to place something so simple as what the difference is between one and another. Happy now?
Not to make this about numbers or anything(though I actually have upon rereading my reply :S) but coming from someone with two and a half thousand posts and nearly three years on the forum here, I trust you have discussed every single 'simple' aspect of wrestling in depth and have no further need to discuss them.(why exactly are you posting here then?) As I mentioned previously in my reply to your post, this is something I have only thought about as viable discursive matter very recently. I mean no disrespect to you and I would hope you would show more respect to your fellow posters rather than responding to a person's choice of topic for no reason other than to insult them when you have no interest in discussing the topic.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
People on here don't nickname him "Blandy Boreton" for nothing.

This is my list for current top 5 charismatic guy in the roster:
1. Christian
2. Orton
3. Chris Jericho
4. HHH
5. Rock
Rock is not currently on the roster, and the fact that you put RANDY fucking ORTON, above him, Jericho and HHH, is a joke in itself.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Not to make this about numbers or anything(though I actually have upon rereading my reply :S) but coming from someone with two and a half thousand posts and nearly three years on the forum here, I trust you have discussed every single 'simple' aspect of wrestling in depth and have no further need to discuss them.(why exactly are you posting here then?) As I mentioned previously in my reply to your post, this is something I have only thought about as viable discursive matter very recently. I mean no disrespect to you and I would hope you would show more respect to your fellow posters rather than responding to a person's choice of topic for no reason other than to insult them when you have no interest in discussing the topic.
I like you already.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
That's a fucking joke... Punk is twice as charismatic as Jeff Hardy, and ten times as charismatic as Blandy Boreton. Punk oozes charisma. I don't know what the hell is wrong with some of you people.fpalm
Nah, Jeff is more charismatic. This isn't actually taking anything away from Punk, guys is clearly charismatic, but Jeff's just on another level especially with the ladies.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
fpalm

Hardy had more charisma in his little finger than Punk ever had. If you disagree, then you don't know what charisma is.

Early on their feud in 2009, when both Punk and Hardy already received main-event pushes - The crowd was on Hardy's side even before Punk turned heel. That itself proves Hardy was better at connecting with the fans than Punk.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts