Wrestling Forum banner

Which of these attributes you respond to most.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We see a lot of debate between these attributes and wrestling skill, but I want to see this the posters here debate between these three attributes independent of wrestling skill. To quickly clarify on these three attributes:

-Mic skill is simply how great of an orator you are and how well you convey emotion & character and advance storylines through the verbal realm. Prominent examples are CM Punk and Alex Riley.

-Character, when particuarly strong and developed, is in a lot of ways, the visual and verbal representation of a higher theme we humans may relate to. Examples like the obnoxious blue-collar badass Stone Cold Steve Austin, the reality star struggling with a huge inferiority complex and continued disrespect Miz, or the ultimate Underdog Rey Mysterio Jr.

-Charisma/personality, being the way a guy simply carries himself, minimaly influenced by external forces (except when undergoing character development), and how (and how strongly) we emotionally respond to him. Examples being Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, Evan Bourne, and AJ Styles (for pure charisma/personality uninfluenced by the other two attributes).

Now that I have distinguished them from each other as well as the super attribute many of us traditionally lump these three attribute on here into, which of these three attributes to you best respond towards?

(No you can't say you respond to them equally. Such answers leave for little debate.)

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
:lmao at John Morrison and AJ Styles being Charasmatic

but in general, Charisma is the most important, after that its Mic skills and finally Character.

Charisma > Mic Skills > In ring skills > look > character

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The real and cannonic formula is :

(AS + WS + SA) * (C+P) = S

- (AS + WS + SA) = constructed character
- (C+P) = Personna
- S = Star

Lexicon :
- AS : Acting skills (including mic work)
- WS : Wrestling skills (ability to move and sell)
- SA : Social archetype (has to be as close as possible as the real personnality)
- C : Natural Charisma which influences all data
- P : Personnality (natural social archetype)

--> Constructed character (Acting skills + Wrestling skills + Social archetype) * Personna (Natural Charisma + Personnality) = Star

It shows how much Personnality and Natural Charisma are important in all pro-wrestling styles.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
LOL. Without charisma, you don't have mike skills and character. Just imagine Austin without charisma as the toughest SOB cutting a promo about whooping somebody's ass.
:confused: are you serious lol

you absolutely can have charisma without good mic skills

look at jeff hardy for example he is extremely charismatic there is a reason he captured the attention of so many fans where he was rivaling john cena in pops maybe bigger

same with rey mysterio

but both are mediocre on the mic but both are still very charismatic

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You've mentioned some very bad examples at the charisma/personality paragraph.
In all seriousness, I consider those four guys to have plenty of personality. They aren't charismatic, but charisma is largely a subsection of personality in my opinion and the lack of charisma doesn't automatically preclude a lack of personality. Besides it couldn't be possible for them to be so much more over compared to their peers (especially AJ vs the other TNA Originals) if they didn't have personality given their lack of mic skill or character.

I honestly only mentioned these guys because most guys with more personality/charisma tend to have either an actual character or mic skill to go along with said personality while these guys are raw talent and could better represent what I mean about personality.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL. Without charisma, you don't have mike skills and character. Just imagine Austin without charisma as the toughest SOB cutting a promo about whooping somebody's ass.
Three examples, John Cena (post Wrestlemania 21 victory until his feud with Batista), Hulk Hogan in his WCW run prior to the NWO formation, and Rocky Maivia. Those three were charismatic as hell but were also HATED as hell. The common theme here is that ALL of their characters were either crappy or stale as ****.

·
Registered
919 Posts
No question that charisma is most important attribute when it comes to success in WWE.

After that it would be look > In ring skills > Mic Skills > character

·
Registered
919 Posts
I stopped reading and decided not to waste my time voting when John Morrison and Evan Bourne were used as charismatic examples.
Then why bother replying. It comes down to personal opinion.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I stopped reading and decided not to waste my time voting when John Morrison and Evan Bourne were used as charismatic examples.
Those guys have SOME personality; its very hard to argue otherwise if you're trying to be objective. If they didn't, all four of those guys would be about as over as Tyson Kidd or Micheal McGilishitty.

Could you explain to me how they have NO personality?

·
Registered
319 Posts
:confused: are you serious lol

you absolutely can have charisma without good mic skills

look at jeff hardy for example he is extremely charismatic there is a reason he captured the attention of so many fans where he was rivaling john cena in pops maybe bigger

same with rey mysterio

but both are mediocre on the mic but both are still very charismatic
Jeff Hardy charismatic ? Jeff Hardy is over because of his cool moves that drive young kids crazy. Jeff Hardy isn't good on the mike because he has no charisma whatsoever and because of that he can't develop a character that people would care about. The people care about Jeff Hardy's moves, not about Jeff Hardy.

Rey Mysterio is pretty decent on the mike, but he is also over more with the kids because of his moves/wrestling style and because of his mask.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
-Charisma/personality, being the way a guy simply carries himself, minimaly influenced by external forces (except when undergoing character development), and how (and how strongly) we emotionally respond to him. Examples being Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, Evan Bourne, and AJ Styles (for pure charisma/personality uninfluenced by the other two attributes).
Everybody on that list with the possible except of Kofi has the personality of drywall.

Remember kids, unnecessary flips and corny smiles to the crowd does not a personality make.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Three examples, John Cena (post Wrestlemania 21 victory until his feud with Batista), Hulk Hogan in his WCW run prior to the NWO formation, and Rocky Maivia. Those three were charismatic as hell but were also HATED as hell. The common theme here is that ALL of their characters were either crappy or stale as ****.
Rocky Maivia was a bad experiment, that's all. They had to let him be himself and it worked.

John Cena is hated because of various reasons. He's more apealing to the kids, and even if his promos are heavily controlled by the writers he shows charisma.

I don't know about Hulk Hogan's pre nWo heel turn, but the business evolves. You can't stay an american hero forever, sometimes you need a change, and the charisma allowes you to build another character that it works. Just look at Chris Jericho in 2008, he wasn't clicking with the fans, until he got the heel turn. In fact, the charisma that he posses allowed him to change the character into something that people started to care about.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.