Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title would suggest, this is about how plausible it be to have characters undergo a complete repackage.

In the 1990's, we saw Rocky Mavia turn into the Rock, Ringmaster Austin into Stone Cold, Hulk into Hollywood and Scott Steiner into Big Poppa Pump. All of these repackages were extremely successful. How would this work today? Not from NXT to the main roster, I mean on one brand in specific. For example, let's say Bayley turned into a heel tomorrow, would she still be well received? Could she reignite the crowd's previous interest in her? I don't know, it seems difficult to do nowadays.

Bray Wyatt had a okayish repackage, but if you'd look at what he turned into, he went from a generic jobber to a rather unique gimmick sort to say, it was to be expected that it would work when the audience already didn't have a presort notion of who he was.

Alexa Bliss I think, is abit of a strange case, she went from being face to heel at NXT, she didn't really start off as a face on the main roster but rather just moved up as a heel, so I think the pre-conceived notion is that she's a heel, it would be odd for her to go back to her old gimmick.

Whatcha think?

·
Banned
6,709 Posts
As the title would suggest, this is about how plausible it be to have characters undergo a complete repackage.

In the 1990's, we saw Rocky Mavia turn into the Rock, Ringmaster Austin into Stone Cold, Hulk into Hollywood and Scott Steiner into Big Poppa Pump. All of these repackages were extremely successful. How would this work today? Not from NXT to the main roster, I mean on one brand in specific. For example, let's say Bayley turned into a heel tomorrow, would she still be well received? Could she reignite the crowd's previous interest in her? I don't know, it seems difficult to do nowadays.

Bray Wyatt had a okayish repackage, but if you'd look at what he turned into, he went from a generic jobber to a rather unique gimmick sort to say, it was to be expected that it would work when the audience already didn't have a presort notion of who he was.

Alexa Bliss I think, is abit of a strange case, she went from being face to heel at NXT, she didn't really start off as a face on the main roster but rather just moved up as a heel, so I think the pro conceived notion is that she's a heel, it would be odd for her to go back to her old gimmick.

Whatcha think?
Excellent thread. It's very hard to do a repackage these days because the minds and passion just aren't there. Typically, it just happens gradually over time, if it ever happens at all from this point on. Wyatt was the last major change, or 180. What the WWE would have to do is take their time and slowly introduce change and provide if necessary a "cause and affect" style that would help the viewer understand what was going down.

Of course this would require a sense of continuity in writing for the program week to week and that's not something the WWE does often, or well at this point. Putting that aside I like the idea of Bayley turning heel, but I was suggesting that she turn heel the moment she debuted. Now, they would have to slowly turn her. I honestly think this can be done, but the rosters for both shows for the Woman's Division are simply terrible.

·
Registered
441 Posts
WWE Creative's test case for the 180 degree gimmick change in 2017 is Jinder Mahal. From comedy face jobber in 3MB to heel contender as the Maharaja with the Singh Brothers. It's a case of go big or go home. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
How about The New Day? 3 guys who weren't doing much were given a crappy gimmick and turned into something amazing.

·
Registered
712 Posts
2 things

1) Social media also factors into this. Before Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and so many other Social media sites. The most that you'd get about a wrestler is what the Wrestling websites would give you.

2) Most of the fans nowadays will always remember which gimmicks are the best or worst for a wrestler.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
I had to think for a second as to how I choose to distinguish between a heel/face turn that doesn't sacrifice the integrity of the original character and a re package. Wrestlersmsuchna Charlotte and Neville weren't repackages. Just a different attitude and outlook from the same character. I think that Naomi was a re package. From Husky Harris to Bray Wyatt was a re package. Strowman has some grey area but his past with the Wyatt was acknowledged and played out on screen so I really don't see a total re package. Breezango is on the cusp but still remain pretty true to something their original characters might have done.

The more I think about it there really aren't many complete re packages done these days. Wisely so. Chances are if Kane came out in a mask the crowds would be yelling Fake Diesel at him. Kevin Nash would never get rid of the Vinnie Vegas chants.

Not impossible but far more difficult.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts