Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With several more recent female superstars going into the WWE Hall of Fame such as Sunny, Trish Stratus, Lita, Alundra Blayze, Jaqueline, Beth Phoenix, Ivory, Torrie Wilson, Chyna, and this year the Bella Twins and Molly Holly.
However perhaps the most glaring omission among this group is the "First Lady of the WWE", Miss Elizabeth. IMHO She should have gone in before a number of those who did. She's had many great moments with the Macho Man. Particularly the time when she took her skirt off at SummerSlam 1988, her reunion with Savage after he lost to Warrior at WrestleMania VII, and her wedding to Savage at that year's SummerSlam.
Could it be because of the tragic circumstances of her death, she's in the same category as Owen Hart when it comes the deceased legend's family members and the WWE?

How good are Miss Elizabeth's chances for induction into the WWE Hall of Fame in the near future?

·
Registered
733 Posts
This is entirely like Owen Hart where she isn't in because her family don't want WWE making a single nickel off her posthumously.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Her family blames the wrestling business for her death. So no as I recall her parents banned anybody from the wrestling business from attending her funeral.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One can make the argument that unlike Owen Hart, the WWE did not play a direct role in Elizabeth's death if any role at all. But if her family still feels that way, then that's the way it is. But it is a shame that she's not inducted.

·
Likes wrestling....
10,885 Posts
I just do not get the infatuation with Miss Elizabeth by modern fans. I mean she really was just a pretty face who stood there. The only time she ever got involved is when she removed her skirt once.

But so many legendary wrestlers are not in the Hall.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
I just do not get the infatuation with Miss Elizabeth by modern fans. I mean she really was just a pretty face who stood there. The only time she ever got involved is when she removed her skirt once.

:(

The woman was apart of one of the GREATEST storylines OF ALL TIME!!

This led to the biggest pay day in the history of the WWF up until that point at WrestleMania V. It would be the biggest buyrate the WWF would have until 1998 with WM 14 and SummerSlam 1998.

She literally helped to put the WWF on the map in the 1980's pop culture.

·
Manic Pixie Dream Girl
The April Witch
6,172 Posts

I always enjoyed Elizabeth and Macho's relationship (kayfabe-wise). It wasn't particularly deep, but it had that Olive Oyl/Popeye quality to it. That said, I do think her role in WWF's history is often inflated.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

I mean, it's a valid criticism but if we're celebrating iconic figures from that era, she was one of them no matter how limited she was as a performer.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The way WWF did that confidential peice with the 911 call with Luger and put up subtitles - I wouldnt want anything to do with them either if I was her family. That was beyond Sh1tty. I even felt sorry for Lex.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts

Honestly I enjoyed her work in WCW as a gold digging heel much more. Playing on Macho Man's insanity tripping up wrestlers on the top rope spray painting Kimberly Page hitting Sting with baseball bat.

·
Likes wrestling....
10,885 Posts
I simply stated my opinion, I do not begrudge anyone theirs. No worries @promoter2003

Elizabeth was window dressing. She was hot. But she could not cut a great promo, did very little ringside. She was a pretty face many of you loved growing up. I understand that

She was a part of a great feud but the feud was more about the in ring talent, she was the vehicle that tore them apart. Any number of folks could have done what she did....

I don't mean to stir anything up. I understand lots of folks have fond memories.

If she goes in, then she does, I would not push back at all.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts

I wasn't watching at that time, which I think is understandable since I was born in 89, so forgive me if this is a silly question, but did being associated with Savage and Hogan give Elizabeth a pop culture presence?

If so that presence, however limited her technical contribution was, could be a reason she is so memorable in the eyes of fans.

(woah, I didn't realize how many people responded to your post @GL haha hope you don't think I'm pilling on bud)

·
Likes wrestling....
10,885 Posts
I wasn't watching at that time, which I think is understandable since I was born in 89, so forgive me if this is a silly question, but did being associated with Savage and Hogan give Elizabeth a pop culture presence?

If so that presence, however limited her technical contribution was, could be a reason she is so memorable in the eyes of fans.
Yep you are on point.

And no you are not pilling on. I have my opinions on Elizabeth, others are entitled to theirs.

I could be wrong.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts

She didn't have to be a manager that cheated or helped Randy win she was the anti-manager Savage was good God level good he didn't need her to help him win or to be his heater. She also did more than take her skirt off one time. She stepped in front of Savage to try and protect him from Honky's guitar, she ran Sherri off at WM 7. She was the focal point of the George Steele/Savage feud, the Hogan/Savage feud in 88 - 89 and then also the Savage/Flair feud in 1992.

Plus her role as a beautiful woman who never did anything nefarious or untoward and essentially being a character that you couldn't hate if she set your dog on fire was a great foil for Savage and his hyped to the gills, arrogant, jealous, borderline abusive prick act. To the point where she got over as a Babyface while he was a heel and it made their act BETTER.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts