Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 352 Posts

·
Sacrificed It All, To Enrich My Life For A Second!
5,038 Posts
I thought United fans would be pissed off tonight. 32% possession, only 4 shots on goal, only winning via a controversial pen, outclassed for 95% of the game. Mourinho could do that, in fact he's the reason United are even in the last 16 because he did it to Juventus, and they fired him for a bad style of play.
Oh yes, I'm very pissed off that we went through to the next round of the Champions League and didn't win the Most Possession Cup and the Most Shots on Target Cup. I'm fuming! I'd answer your other points but Vader has covered that for me.

What a result and what a night! My heart was racing when there was the long deliberation over the referee checking VAR and then when the penalty was announced, my heart surely skipped a bit! Credit to Rashford, he had a poor game but man, does he have balls of steel to take that penalty and to hit it emphatically to ensure we go through to the Quarter Finals. Man, I can't believe I'm typing that... United through to the Quarter Finals of the Champions League after being 2-0 down from the first home leg against PSG. Sure, PSG could have and should have scored a few more goals but United had grit, fighting spirit, determination and were resolute throughout that second leg and I couldn't give a rats ass who had the most possession. What matters is the result and we advance through, not PSG.

It was also justice to see the penalty was awarded against Kimpembe, who should have been sent off in the first leg (and he scored one of the goals in the first leg!) so that made it even more sweeter. Actually, scratch that, it was even sweeter seeing Neymar's sad face and Di Maria's dumbfounded face after the game... man, I would love to taste those salty tears!

All of them players were warriors last night and it was fantastic to watch! Ole is at the wheel and he's driving at full acceleration to the next round of the Champions League. I can guarantee that wouldn't have happened under The Virus, Mourinho.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
It was 28% possession of the ball and it's about what you do with it. We constantly had the most possession when Van Gaal was in charge and it was fucking dog shit. United had 4 shots on target and scored three times, PSG also had 4 shots on target but only scored once. Who was outclassed? Madrid had the same amount of shots on target as Ajax did last night, that made a huge amount of difference didn't it? Stats are utterly pointless in games like this anyway, so i'm assuming you didn't watch the game?

You can't understand football surely if you're even entertaining the thought that any fan would be annoyed. PSG only looked threatening when we had Bailly at right back then an Mbappe chance near the end, they offered fuck all besides abundances of possession.

A lot was made in the first leg about PSG not having Neymar or Cavani. We beat one of the Champions League favourites away from home with a midfield of Fred, Pereira and Scott McTominay.

9 away wins in all competitions, unbeaten in the Premier League, United's first knockout CL win for near a decade and actually scoring goals. We're a better team defensively now than under Jose and a miles better attacking team than under Jose. A lot was made of Jose calling Pogba a virus but looking at what Ole has done, it's clear that Jose was the virus.

Now, I've wasted about 5 minutes there as I've no doubt in my mind you'll come out with some other bollocks but please, continue - show me the Mourinho tattoo on your arse and tell me some more shit that no-one else believes apart from you.

Obviously you're right. Last night was a great night for all United fans, and that's the point. Nobody really cares about style of play, it's the results that matter. Style of play is just an excuse people use because they don't want to be seen as impatient.

Oh yes, I'm very pissed off that we went through to the next round of the Champions League and didn't win the Most Possession Cup and the Most Shots on Target Cup. I'm fuming! I'd answer your other points but Vader has covered that for me.

What a result and what a night! My heart was racing when there was the long deliberation over the referee checking VAR and then when the penalty was announced, my heart surely skipped a bit! Credit to Rashford, he had a poor game but man, does he have balls of steel to take that penalty and to hit it emphatically to ensure we go through to the Quarter Finals. Man, I can't believe I'm typing that... United through to the Quarter Finals of the Champions League after being 2-0 down from the first home leg against PSG. Sure, PSG could have and should have scored a few more goals but United had grit, fighting spirit, determination and were resolute throughout that second leg and I couldn't give a rats ass who had the most possession. What matters is the result and we advance through, not PSG.

It was also justice to see the penalty was awarded against Kimpembe, who should have been sent off in the first leg (and he scored one of the goals in the first leg!) so that made it even more sweeter. Actually, scratch that, it was even sweeter seeing Neymar's sad face and Di Maria's dumbfounded face after the game... man, I would love to taste those salty tears!

All of them players were warriors last night and it was fantastic to watch! Ole is at the wheel and he's driving at full acceleration to the next round of the Champions League. I can guarantee that wouldn't have happened under The Virus, Mourinho.
Don't forget who got United to this stage, thanks largely to getting the better of Juventus over two games.

·
SMILEY GOD
17,016 Posts
It was an easy group to qualify out of, and they only had to beat Juventus because they took 1 point off a terrible Valencia team. Could only draw at Old Trafford in October, at which point Valencia had won 1 game in all competitions all season, and then put to the sword at the Mestalla in mid December, at which point Valencia had only won 1 game at home in La Liga.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Don't forget who got United to this stage, thanks largely to getting the better of Juventus over two games.
I am by no means a United fan and yes this brilliant result is only so they can put over Arsenal on the weekend :smugwenger

But what is it that you are actually arguing? That United thank Jose for one win over Juve?

:bosque

That they would have been better off with him in charge?

That he's still a top manager?

Plz tell us

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I am by no means a United fan and yes this brilliant result is only so they can put over Arsenal on the weekend :smugwenger

But what is it that you are actually arguing? That United thank Jose for one win over Juve?

That they would have been better off with him in charge?

That he's still a top manager?

Plz tell us
That point was simply that you can't say he wouldn't have got the same result, because he got a very similar results against a similar quality side only this season, which is the reason why United are even in this competition.

As for whether he's a top manager or not, I'm pretty sure he'll win another trophy before Arsenal do, another league title before Arsenal do, and win his third CL before Arsenal win their first.

On a bit of a tangent, for all the talk about Jose killing clubs, he left United and Chelsea both times in pretty good shape.
Indeed. Porto continued to be a top side in Portugal after he left and Real Madrid won the CL 4 times in 5 seasons (they hasn't reached a quarter final for 6 years before he arrived) after he left. It's only Inter that went to shit.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
That point was simply that you can't say he wouldn't have got the same result, because he got a very similar results against a similar quality side only this season, which is the reason why United are even in this competition.

As for whether he's a top manager or not, I'm pretty sure he'll win another trophy before Arsenal do, another league title before Arsenal do, and win his third CL before Arsenal win their first.

Indeed. Porto continued to be a top side in Portugal after he left and Real Madrid won the CL 4 times in 5 seasons (they hasn't reached a quarter final for 6 years before he arrived) after he left. It's only Inter that went to shit.
He also lost to teams like Brighton, West Ham and Valencia. Yes quite the resume this season. I'm curious as to why you think getting out of the group stage when Valencia and Young Boys are in there is something he should be praised for when it should be a minimum requirement. Actually no I'm not, just keep thinking that. And no he wouldn't have gotten the same results because the players were playing shit when he was there and now they aren't. Pretty simple if you watch football really.

On a bit of a tangent, for all the talk about Jose killing clubs, he left United and Chelsea both times in pretty good shape.
He left United in 6th and Chelsea in 16th on his last visit. How is that good shape?

·
Aggressively White
6,236 Posts
Dude had Salah and KDB in his squad when he was at Chelsea :bosque

Guess the moral of the story is keep Jose the fuck away from your squad if you ever want to let it develop
They weren’t as good as they are now and title winning sides can’t afford to give loads of chances to develop. They moved to less pressure clubs and developed there. Right place wrong time

There’s possibly an argument for KDB, but absolutely not Salah.

Is Fergie shit because he couldn’t develop Diego Forlan, Paul Pogba or Gerard Pique?

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
They weren’t as good as they are now and title winning sides can’t afford to give loads of chances to develop. They moved to less pressure clubs and developed there. Right place wrong time

There’s possibly an argument for KDB, but absolutely not Salah.

Is Fergie shit because he couldn’t develop Diego Forlan, Paul Pogba or Gerard Pique?
Fergie won the league with players like Danny Welbeck, Tom Cleverly and Chicarito in his squad so I think he can be excused for letting a few players slip over his 20 year tenure

Anyway my point was that Jose doesn't make squads, he brings in some ready made players but some of the most talented players in those squads were there before him anyway

like Hazard and Azpi at Chelsea

De Gea, Lingard, Rashford, Martial all were at United before Jose as well

There wasn't anything he really did and he couldn't really fuck things up unless he went on a selling spree

·
5,038 Posts
Don't forget who got us out at this stage last season, may I remind you of Sevilla where Mourinho's cowardly tactics cost us and I'm sure the same would have happened again against PSG over 2 legs if he were in charge. The place was toxic, players weren't playing for him and the style of football was atrocious, it would have been the perfect recipe for PSG as they would have faced a wounded animal.

It was the right decision to get rid of Mourinho, look at the performances and results now since his sacking. Ole has got the players looking confident, enjoying their football, we're scoring more goals now, playing a fun attacking style or counter attacking style in all games and our defence (despite still needing improvement) looks much more solid. I highly doubt Mourinho would have had his team doing all those positives listed by this point of the season if he were still in charge.

The only thing I will thank Mourinho for is selling Rooney at the right time, winning the League Cup and Europa League and also for getting us our best top finish since Fergie retired (despite that being a boring season with dull football). I'm not going to thank him for one lucky result against Juventus. We should have been qualifying easy from that group and if anything, Mourinho's style of football made it harder for us (take into account the draw against Valencia at home and the struggle to beat Young Boys at home). Also, how did we get the better of Juventus over 2 games? We lost the first game comfortably!

Plus, Ole took our B/C team to Paris and walked away with a win, that's even more impressive. No way Mourinho would have done that, he'd have made sure Matic played despite the injury, put Fellaini in there, deported Pogba and Martial and probably brought back Ivanovic to play right back!

·
5,038 Posts
He's have done a better job there than Bailly, that's for sure.
Ha ha, yeah I agree with that. That was one odd decision Ole made (maybe put Bailly there as he did play there for Villarreal) but at least he rectified the decision and brought Dalot on, who is starting to look better each game.

There is concern there with Bailly though, one game he can look like a beast (Arsenal FA Cup game) and then he can look absolutely awful and his defensive awareness is severely lacking. Maybe it's the lack of game time but he really needs to improve otherwise, he will go further down the pecking order.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Don't forget who got us out at this stage last season, may I remind you of Sevilla where Mourinho's cowardly tactics cost us and I'm sure the same would have happened again against PSG over 2 legs if he were in charge. The place was toxic, players weren't playing for him and the style of football was atrocious, it would have been the perfect recipe for PSG as they would have faced a wounded animal.

It was the right decision to get rid of Mourinho, look at the performances and results now since his sacking. Ole has got the players looking confident, enjoying their football, we're scoring more goals now, playing a fun attacking style or counter attacking style in all games and our defence (despite still needing improvement) looks much more solid. I highly doubt Mourinho would have had his team doing all those positives listed by this point of the season if he were still in charge.
A lot of United's biggest wins under Solskjaer - PSG, Arsenal, Spurs - have come playing football very very similar to the sort of tactics Mourinho is known for. Keep it tight, give up possession for the vast majority of the game, try to keep mistakes to a minimum and take one or two chances on the counter. Stylistically I can't see any differences between them. Compare United's 3-1 win at Arsenal in the FA Cup to the 3-1 win at Arsenal in the league last season, its almost identical.

Against the shit teams the performances have been notably better, but that's as much to do with the players putting more effort in than anything tactical. I think Mourinho's mistake was that he expected the players behave professionally and try their best to win every game, even if they're not playing in exactly the position they want. Solskjaer obviously wasn't going to make the same mistake considering how he got the job. I do worry that Pogba is effectively the manager now.

The only thing I will thank Mourinho for is selling Rooney at the right time, winning the League Cup and Europa League and also for getting us our best top finish since Fergie retired (despite that being a boring season with dull football). I'm not going to thank him for one lucky result against Juventus. We should have been qualifying easy from that group and if anything, Mourinho's style of football made it harder for us (take into account the draw against Valencia at home and the struggle to beat Young Boys at home). Also, how did we get the better of Juventus over 2 games? We lost the first game comfortably!
Two trophies and the highest finish in years is quite a lot to thank him for! Alongside Juventus United drew the team who had finished 4th in La Liga, 3 points behind Real Madrid and 6 behind Atletico. Expecting to stroll through that group is the height of arrogance.

United got the better of Juventus over two games in the same way they did over PSG - outplayed badly over two games, but got enough goals to get a win away from home, and scored more away goals.

Plus, Ole took our B/C team to Paris and walked away with a win, that's even more impressive. No way Mourinho would have done that, he'd have made sure Matic played despite the injury, put Fellaini in there, deported Pogba and Martial and probably brought back Ivanovic to play right back!
It is impressive, for sure, although it's not like Mourinho has never had results like that. I still get turned on thinking back to the time when Chelsea B went to Liverpool and beat them 2-0 to derail their title challenge. They had Kalas in defence and some guy called Salah in midfield.

·
5,038 Posts
A lot of United's biggest wins under Solskjaer - PSG, Arsenal, Spurs - have come playing football very very similar to the sort of tactics Mourinho is known for. Keep it tight, give up possession for the vast majority of the game, try to keep mistakes to a minimum and take one or two chances on the counter. Stylistically I can't see any differences between them. Compare United's 3-1 win at Arsenal in the FA Cup to the 3-1 win at Arsenal in the league last season, its almost identical.
Yet the tactics and style are different also. United are running a lot more, pressing a lot more, winning back the ball a lot more. Which is why players were getting tired during the first few games around the 60th minute mark under Ole as they weren't used to covering a lot of distance on the pitch. Yes, we were letting teams play and have more possession of the ball under Mourinho but the players weren't running much, were more reserved getting forward (especially the fullbacks) and our forwards weren't staying high up the pitch. We weren't scoring enough and our defence was appalling, which is why we had a negative goal difference for a lot of the season under Mourinho.

Under Ole, we are more clinical (that has to be due to Ole giving the forwards words of encouragement especially towards Rashford), attacking a lot more, pressing higher up the pitch, both our fullbacks are getting forward more, the passing is quicker and forward (not waywards as it was under Mourinho) and the counter attacking football against the bigger and more difficult teams has worked to perfection, whereas it wasn't under Mourinho. If you can't realise there's a slight change in style then I don't know what to say. Yes, there are similarities but there are some key differences deployed by Ole and you can see that in the football and the results. United are fun and entertaining to watch again unlike under Mourinho where we were boring, clueless and uncreative.

Also, the 3-1 against Arsenal this season is completely different to the 3-1 against Arsenal last season. Last season Arsenal were creating a lot of chances but thanks to to heroics of De Gea, he kept us in the game. We had moments of brilliant counter attacking football but De Gea kept the game at 3-1. This season, besides one great Romero save, United kept Arsenal's chances to a bare minimum and we were comfortable and controlled the game (despite Arsenal having more of the ball which was meaningless). We gave up a lot of the ball like last season and we did win the ball back to go on the counter attack and score but we were much more solid, much more comfortable and looked dangerous on the attack. Heck, our first goal was from playing some quick, fluid football and not a counter attack.

Against the shit teams the performances have been notably better, but that's as much to do with the players putting more effort in than anything tactical. I think Mourinho's mistake was that he expected the players behave professionally and try their best to win every game, even if they're not playing in exactly the position they want. Solskjaer obviously wasn't going to make the same mistake considering how he got the job. I do worry that Pogba is effectively the manager now.
That's not entirely true, the players were isolated and held back under Mourinho. He didn't want Pogba to get forward, dropped our better players for his favourites, he wanted things kept simple and hoped for a player to create a moment for a goal. Under Ole, he's given a lot of players freedom to express themselves, get forward and the main thing is to find that key forward pass, not play it backwards and sideways. I feel you are being very harsh on Ole and his tactics and what he's allowed the players to do.

Mourinho's mistake was he was picking the wrong team at times, making the wrong substitutions, creating a toxic atmosphere in the dressing room by throwing his players under the bus in nearly every media interview, being too cautious and too safe in his approach. His tactics were ancient at times! He had his favourites and they were so badly out of form he still persisted with them which again, affected our game. Again, I don't know how you can't comprehend this!

Sure, Ole has got everything right thus far and no doubt there will be a dip in the road in terms of results but it was blatantly obvious what needed to be done and what the United way is and Ole has got us playing that way so far. There's still room for improvement but so far, it's a positive sign. As for Pogba being the Manager, sure, he didn't behave well at times but the guy has shown what a leader he can be and he was obviously frustrated with Mourinho and the fact he conceded the title challenge as soon as the season began. That, and the archaic gameplan didn't help matters. Don't forget, Pogba kept Mourinho in the job longer with his performance against Newcastle! So far, he's been incredible under Ole so let's see how things go before claiming he's the Manager not Ole (at the moment Pogba has done everything he's been asked of by Ole).

Plus, notice how players are much happier (including his favourites) playing under Ole rather than Mourinho? Again, that's down to the style of football and the positive and winning mentality Ole has tried to instill in the players.

Two trophies and the highest finish in years is quite a lot to thank him for! Alongside Juventus United drew the team who had finished 4th in La Liga, 3 points behind Real Madrid and 6 behind Atletico. Expecting to stroll through that group is the height of arrogance.
I just said I thanked him for that, read my post. As for Valencia, Seb already pointed this out to you - they were on a downward spiral this season and were in a relegation scrap. Young Boys are Young Boys. So of course United should have been beating them, nothing arrogant about it at all. Majority would have picked Juventus as the favourites and United as second favourites to qualify.

Again, the fact Valencia outplayed United at home due to Mourinho's negative tactics was again a replication of the Sevilla game from last season. Mourinho never learned his lesson and never adapted as the man is stubborn.

United got the better of Juventus over two games in the same way they did over PSG - outplayed badly over two games, but got enough goals to get a win away from home, and scored more away goals.
You do realise the difference between the group stages and the knockout stages? The group stage is about picking up as many points as possible and the knockout stage is all about who scores the most over 2 legs. What you just said didn't make any sense, United scoring more away goals than Juventus? That has nothing to do with it!

You can tell the difference between United against Juventus under Mourinho and United against PSG under Ole. One had us playing cautious, negative football with no cohesion in our attack and the first match resulted in a comfortable Juventus win. The second game against Juventus was down to a bizarre 5 minute period. Mata's magical freekick and Young's delivery on the set piece as well as a rare solid defensive performance (and poor Juventus finishing) won us that game yet Mourinho tried to take all the credit after the match and show the 3 fingers to the crowd.

The other Manager had us play differently in both legs; yes PSG had more of the ball but United made it a back-and-forth encounter (in the first leg) in that first half and we were creating some chances. Once we lost two of our key players, this affected our gameplan and PSG found it easy second half and scored two goals. Fast forward to the 2nd leg and it was definitely different to the Juventus result. United fought tooth and nail all game, defended much better than the Juventus game and even had spells where they had PSG on the backfoot (due to getting the 2 away goals). This all the while playing with out B/C team players. That is most certainly impressive.

It's also nice to see a Manager praise his players after the game and not make it about himself and a way to stroke his ego.

Also, how were we outplayed badly over 2 legs? We conceded 3 goals and so did PSG! We reduced PSG to only a few chances in the 2nd leg (whereas Juventus had a lot in the second leg against us and against our main team) so again, not sure how we were outplayed against PSG. Yes, they were the better team but they didn't outplay us and Vader has already explained this to you.

It is impressive, for sure, although it's not like Mourinho has never had results like that. I still get turned on thinking back to the time when Chelsea B went to Liverpool and beat them 2-0 to derail their title challenge. They had Kalas in defence and some guy called Salah in midfield.
Well done for saying it's impressive because it really is, especially for someone who as you said, only has experience managing Molde and Cardiff. Ole understands the club and what it means and so far, he's been the perfect fit and done everything right and got big results for us as well as have United playing some good football, which has to be admired.

As for your point about Mourinho, sure he's had big results but he's also had poor results especially recently. The knockout against Sevilla last season, the performance and result against Liverpool this season, the performances in general this season, the poor FA Cup result last season in the final against Chelsea, his final season at Chelsea and Real Madrid, etc. Yes, he had some good results last season for United but you can tell Mourinho's Manchester United was regressing under his leadership. Times move on, football changes and Mourinho just didn't adapt to this when other teams have been. Ultimately, it would lead to him being sacked and it was the right decision, that cannot be argued.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Yet the tactics and style are different also. United are running a lot more, pressing a lot more, winning back the ball a lot more. Which is why players were getting tired during the first few games around the 60th minute mark under Ole as they weren't used to covering a lot of distance on the pitch. Yes, we were letting teams play and have more possession of the ball under Mourinho but the players weren't running much, were more reserved getting forward (especially the fullbacks) and our forwards weren't staying high up the pitch. We weren't scoring enough and our defence was appalling, which is why we had a negative goal difference for a lot of the season under Mourinho.

Under Ole, we are more clinical (that has to be due to Ole giving the forwards words of encouragement especially towards Rashford), attacking a lot more, pressing higher up the pitch, both our fullbacks are getting forward more, the passing is quicker and forward (not waywards as it was under Mourinho) and the counter attacking football against the bigger and more difficult teams has worked to perfection, whereas it wasn't under Mourinho. If you can't realise there's a slight change in style then I don't know what to say. Yes, there are similarities but there are some key differences deployed by Ole and you can see that in the football and the results. United are fun and entertaining to watch again unlike under Mourinho where we were boring, clueless and uncreative.

Also, the 3-1 against Arsenal this season is completely different to the 3-1 against Arsenal last season. Last season Arsenal were creating a lot of chances but thanks to to heroics of De Gea, he kept us in the game. We had moments of brilliant counter attacking football but De Gea kept the game at 3-1. This season, besides one great Romero save, United kept Arsenal's chances to a bare minimum and we were comfortable and controlled the game (despite Arsenal having more of the ball which was meaningless). We gave up a lot of the ball like last season and we did win the ball back to go on the counter attack and score but we were much more solid, much more comfortable and looked dangerous on the attack. Heck, our first goal was from playing some quick, fluid football and not a counter attack.
Fair enough, there are some differences, but I think the real change is in the results and the narrative around style of play is based around that. It's true that United came under a lot more pressure at Arsenal last season than this.

That's not entirely true, the players were isolated and held back under Mourinho. He didn't want Pogba to get forward, dropped our better players for his favourites, he wanted things kept simple and hoped for a player to create a moment for a goal. Under Ole, he's given a lot of players freedom to express themselves, get forward and the main thing is to find that key forward pass, not play it backwards and sideways. I feel you are being very harsh on Ole and his tactics and what he's allowed the players to do.

Mourinho's mistake was he was picking the wrong team at times, making the wrong substitutions, creating a toxic atmosphere in the dressing room by throwing his players under the bus in nearly every media interview, being too cautious and too safe in his approach. His tactics were ancient at times! He had his favourites and they were so badly out of form he still persisted with them which again, affected our game. Again, I don't know how you can't comprehend this!

Sure, Ole has got everything right thus far and no doubt there will be a dip in the road in terms of results but it was blatantly obvious what needed to be done and what the United way is and Ole has got us playing that way so far. There's still room for improvement but so far, it's a positive sign. As for Pogba being the Manager, sure, he didn't behave well at times but the guy has shown what a leader he can be and he was obviously frustrated with Mourinho and the fact he conceded the title challenge as soon as the season began. That, and the archaic gameplan didn't help matters. Don't forget, Pogba kept Mourinho in the job longer with his performance against Newcastle! So far, he's been incredible under Ole so let's see how things go before claiming he's the Manager not Ole (at the moment Pogba has done everything he's been asked of by Ole).

Plus, notice how players are much happier (including his favourites) playing under Ole rather than Mourinho? Again, that's down to the style of football and the positive and winning mentality Ole has tried to instill in the players.
I watched the World Cup, I saw that Pogba was playing in a midfield two and he was brilliant. He was perfectly happy to play there. When Mourinho asked him to play there he wasn't having it, it seemed like he was willing to do it for France but not for United. As it happens I do agree with playing 4-3-3 as Solskjaer has done, I think it's a system the current players are better suited to, but do you think Pogba was putting in 100% for United when he wasn't happy with his position? I don't.

I just said I thanked him for that, read my post. As for Valencia, Seb already pointed this out to you - they were on a downward spiral this season and were in a relegation scrap. Young Boys are Young Boys. So of course United should have been beating them, nothing arrogant about it at all. Majority would have picked Juventus as the favourites and United as second favourites to qualify.

Again, the fact Valencia outplayed United at home due to Mourinho's negative tactics was again a replication of the Sevilla game from last season. Mourinho never learned his lesson and never adapted as the man is stubborn.
I know, I'm just saying it's substantial. Time was, winning trophies would earn you some time.

You do realise the difference between the group stages and the knockout stages? The group stage is about picking up as many points as possible and the knockout stage is all about who scores the most over 2 legs. What you just said didn't make any sense, United scoring more away goals than Juventus? That has nothing to do with it!

You can tell the difference between United against Juventus under Mourinho and United against PSG under Ole. One had us playing cautious, negative football with no cohesion in our attack and the first match resulted in a comfortable Juventus win. The second game against Juventus was down to a bizarre 5 minute period. Mata's magical freekick and Young's delivery on the set piece as well as a rare solid defensive performance (and poor Juventus finishing) won us that game yet Mourinho tried to take all the credit after the match and show the 3 fingers to the crowd.

The other Manager had us play differently in both legs; yes PSG had more of the ball but United made it a back-and-forth encounter (in the first leg) in that first half and we were creating some chances. Once we lost two of our key players, this affected our gameplan and PSG found it easy second half and scored two goals. Fast forward to the 2nd leg and it was definitely different to the Juventus result. United fought tooth and nail all game, defended much better than the Juventus game and even had spells where they had PSG on the backfoot (due to getting the 2 away goals). This all the while playing with out B/C team players. That is most certainly impressive.

It's also nice to see a Manager praise his players after the game and not make it about himself and a way to stroke his ego.

Also, how were we outplayed badly over 2 legs? We conceded 3 goals and so did PSG! We reduced PSG to only a few chances in the 2nd leg (whereas Juventus had a lot in the second leg against us and against our main team) so again, not sure how we were outplayed against PSG. Yes, they were the better team but they didn't outplay us and Vader has already explained this to you.
Away goals matter in the group stage, it's the secondary tie-breaker after head to head.

The game against Juventus United took advantage of set pieces. The one against PSG they took advantage of terrible mistakes. I think PSG might have been missing a couple of decent players too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, keeping it tight and hoping you get lucky is exactly how you play against better sides if you're smart.

Well done for saying it's impressive because it really is, especially for someone who as you said, only has experience managing Molde and Cardiff. Ole understands the club and what it means and so far, he's been the perfect fit and done everything right and got big results for us as well as have United playing some good football, which has to be admired.

As for your point about Mourinho, sure he's had big results but he's also had poor results especially recently. The knockout against Sevilla last season, the performance and result against Liverpool this season, the performances in general this season, the poor FA Cup result last season in the final against Chelsea, his final season at Chelsea and Real Madrid, etc. Yes, he had some good results last season for United but you can tell Mourinho's Manchester United was regressing under his leadership. Times move on, football changes and Mourinho just didn't adapt to this when other teams have been. Ultimately, it would lead to him being sacked and it was the right decision, that cannot be argued.

Ps. I do appreciate the obvious amount of time and effort spent on this post, although there's a lot of it I don't agree with I do think your points are generally pretty fair and I can see where you're coming from.

Sorry my responses are a bit pithier, but with something like this I know how easily I could get drawn into writing a dissertation length document on it. Plus it's all fairly subjective so I doubt either of us will be changing our minds.

161 - 180 of 352 Posts