Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The question being limited only to WWE says it all. That is the ONLY way John Cena could even get thought of being on the MT. Rushmore of pro wrestling / sports entertainment. I never did hate Cena back in his hey day because I actually took in the divided crowd as something unique and entertaining for his matches.

HOWEVER, being a student of the game let us all remember how this REALLY went down. John Cena came into the WWE during its most talent depth laden period in 2002. He did NOT stand out when guys like Hogan, Flair, Rock, Austin, Eddie, AND BROCK were above him. This is not to say the potential of Cena was not foreseeable with his physique and strong man appeal.

He DID get over on smackdown because of his smack talking work on the mic which I fully admit I thought was good. HOWEVER, are people FORGETTING this guy was learning on the job and putting on bad matches? It is why they had him on smackdown to begin with to hide his lack of ring talent.

The MAJORITY of fans KNEW this even if not at just a subconscious level, BUT he was great on the mic with his rap stuff which I don't understand why they had him stop verbally crushing people. He also hit that demographic that WWE lost when Rock left in terms of the younger audience who felt he was connecting to them through hip hop.

THIS WENT OUT THE WINDOW when they started to push Cena as The Marine and his run AFTER getting the belt. Fans saw right through it when he came to the more seasoned RAW that was live and they couldn't hide him on a taped show on a weekly basis. I have said this before and will say it again. Cena succeeded despite WWE screwing up his real potential. They didn't organically let Cena become what he was suppose to be and that is why people were cheering HHH OF ALL PEOPLE WHO THEY HATED in that title match at WM 22. IT TURNED HHH FACE WHICH ENDED UP HAVING HIM DO DX AGAIN.

Now during this time I just took it for the crowd reaction that was apart of the show, but take away that "most divisive champion in history" marketing and see it for what it was. Cena decimated the audience on a mainstream level and big problem was WWE refusing to LISTEN by turning heel when he was really red hot.

Sure he sold merchandise, but does that give him Mount Rushmore status over guys like Hogan, Rock, Austin, Andre? No matter all the politics one may throw at any of those men, it can't be denied that those guys were LEGITIMATELY HOT and OVER with the majority of the mainstream audience. They brought in new audiences that stayed for years.

Look at the aftermath of John Cena with today's WWE? Before this coronavirus thing everyone was dreading Cena 2.0 with Roman Reigns. The same stubbornness that they used with Cena they have tried with Roman and everyone turned on the guy basically. WHY? Why aren't people WANTING another John Cena, BUT they are all waiting for the next Hogan, Austin, Rock type star to save the day. Something to think about.

·
Hardcore Casual
753 Posts
Cena's legacy will be falsified by WWe until they no longer hold the pen writing the history books.

Cena's legacy should be the hindering of talent to the extent that not only his but the generation after his suffered.
I find this a little hypocritical unless you feel the same way about Hogan. During Cena's tenure, Randy Orton, Batista, Edge, Triple H and to a lesser extent (if you rate how "held down" they were, not how over they were) Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, CM Punk and Daniel Bryan were all over and accomplished. During Hogan's era, after Macho Man (who I personally feel was better anyway) the believable challengers and accomplished wrestlers dropped off a cliff, mainly thanks to Hogan going through the roster like a bunch of used cumrags. You were better off being a tag team wrestler like LOD than a singles wrestler under Hogan during most of the 80s and 90s.

And of course, Hogan then left WWE after giving only Warrior a true rub, who turned out to be even worse than Bollea. Together they left a massive vacuum that, really only by sheer force of competition from WCW, was eventually filled by Stone Cold. But Flair, Luger, Yoko, Nash, Bret, Shawn, Taker and other noteworthy names couldn't be properly elevated without a rub from the standard bearer of the generation before.

Pretending that Hogan isn't the worst culprit of holding down a roster in the history of WWE is being pretty disingenuous IMO. Cena has put over way more people cleanly than Hogan ever did.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I find this a little hypocritical unless you feel the same way about Hogan. During Cena's tenure, Randy Orton, Batista, Edge, Triple H and to a lesser extent (if you rate how "held down" they were, not how over they were) Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, CM Punk and Daniel Bryan were all over and accomplished. During Hogan's era, after Macho Man (who I personally feel was better anyway) the believable challengers and accomplished wrestlers dropped off a cliff, mainly thanks to Hogan going through the roster like a bunch of used cumrags. You were better off being a tag team wrestler like LOD than a singles wrestler under Hogan during most of the 80s and 90s.

And of course, Hogan then left WWE after giving only Warrior a true rub, who turned out to be even worse than Bollea. Together they left a massive vacuum that, really only by sheer force of competition from WCW, was eventually filled by Stone Cold. But Flair, Luger, Yoko, Nash, Bret, Shawn, Taker and other noteworthy names couldn't be properly elevated without a rub from the standard bearer of the generation before.

Pretending that Hogan isn't the worst culprit of holding down a roster in the history of WWE is being pretty disingenuous IMO. Cena has put over way more people cleanly than Hogan ever did.
I'm not a Hogan fan, and a lot of my opinions about Cena do also apply to Hogan.

However, as much as I'm not a Hogan fan, there wouldn't be a WWe without Hogan.

It could be argued that WWe right now would be in a much healthier place if not for Cena, or at least if Cena had been booked better especially later in his career.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'm not a Hogan fan, and a lot of my opinions about Cena do also apply to Hogan.

However, as much as I'm not a Hogan fan, there wouldn't be a WWe without Hogan.

It could be argued that WWe right now would be in a much healthier place if not for Cena, or at least if Cena had been booked better especially later in his career.
Saying Hogan held down talent more than Cena is laughable. When Hogan was in his prime he wasn't showing up on Saturday Morning Superstars or Wrestling Challenge burying people every week or burying people in 12 PPVs a year. Cena was holding people back every week and twice on Sundays pretty much the whole length of his reign of terror. Who did Hogan really hold back? The Macho Man? Bret Hart? I'm pretty sure those guys went on to have pretty good careers.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Well, The Rock calls Hogan the GOAT! and puts himself on Mt. Rushmore behind Hogan and Flair. I'll take a guess that either Andre or Austin may fill out his mountain.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Cena goes down as a legend and if wrestling exists in 100 years, he will be talked about.

But... fresh in my mind is the Cena vs Rock match, and then I re-watched Austin vs Rock at Wrestlemania 17 on the Network. Seeing these next to each other has forced me to downgrade my opinion of Cena alongside those guys, severely.

Cena has a great legacy, but let’s be clear he’s absolutely nowhere near 10 levels below those guys. Period.

In the future, especially over the next 10 years, WWE will continue to sell Cena as the GOAT to cash-in on his potential dream matches in that time.

After that... any new observer in the future will be able to compare Austin/Rock’s WM17 to Cena/Rock and see for themselves.

Wrestlemania is the place where legacy’s are made and seen, and for everything Cena has done, he has never really hit a home run at Wrestlemania.

Most of his Wrestlemanias have occurred with 2 x world titles on the card, too. By comparison, anyone in the future can go back to WM10 and see Bret Hart for themselves as he puts on a masterclass as the centre of attention with universal cheers from the crowd, just to pick one.

Cena’s witty promos are going to be his longest lasting legacy IMO. That’s something he undeniably excels at and can be easily admired in old footage. However, The Firefly Funhouse match could potentially have helped shaped the next chapter in Cena’s legacy...

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Cena goes down as a legend and if wrestling exists in 100 years, he will be talked about.

But... fresh in my mind is the Cena vs Rock match, and then I re-watched Austin vs Rock at Wrestlemania 17 on the Network. Seeing these next to each other has forced me to downgrade my opinion of Cena alongside those guys, severely.

Cena has a great legacy, but let’s be clear he’s absolutely nowhere near 10 levels below those guys. Period.

In the future, especially over the next 10 years, WWE will continue to sell Cena as the GOAT to cash-in on his potential dream matches in that time.

After that... any new observer in the future will be able to compare Austin/Rock’s WM17 to Cena/Rock and see for themselves.

Wrestlemania is the place where legacy’s are made and seen, and for everything Cena has done, he has never really hit a home run at Wrestlemania.

Most of his Wrestlemanias have occurred with 2 x world titles on the card, too. By comparison, anyone in the future can go back to WM10 and see Bret Hart for themselves as he puts on a masterclass as the centre of attention with universal cheers from the crowd, just to pick one.
Honestly time is the real test. You have to survive the test of time. John Cena will be talked about, but how in the big scope of things is still up in the air.

I could see a historian saying that Hogan/Rock and that Mania being the end of the era that saw pro wrestling at its apex. You had basically the NW0/WCW era and WWE Attitude Era under one roof. It will be hard for any wrestling era to compare to that monstrous Monday Night War Era and the only era historically as of now that can is the 80's WWF golden era and the real golden era under "Gorgeous" George.

Funnily enough we are at a time similar to those days as the tv wrestling in a studio is back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Mount Rushmore? No, he's not. He was far too divisive for starters.He couldn't carry a feud through sheer force of personality. His "great moments" all blur into one. I remember his Edge and Orton feuds but nothing else particularly sticks in the mind - great PPV moments and the moments I do remember are mostly the other guy.

He is, obviously, a Hall of Famer and his contribution to the industry can't be wiped away. He was a merchandise pusher and appealed to a certain demographic, I suspect the kid interest would have been nowhere close to what it was had he not been there.

He's not on the Mount Rushmore though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It wasn’t the worst, the current one is the worst which has no face at all.
I feel like the shift that the company took to its current position began with Cena, or at least sped up dramatically. This clean cut, sterile, no-edge, put smile on people's faces, ignore what crowds want stuff that we see now is very much an extension of the John Cena legacy.

I'm sure in 5-10 years when he has his HOF speech the majority of fans will absolutely worship him but I never liked him post 2004 and he forced me away from the product. Not sure that I matter.

·
it's a tarp!
4,945 Posts
After that 'match' at Wrestlemania, I don't think Cena has a legacy any more.

He's gone full The Last Jedi and putrified everything.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The biggest piece of disgraceful selfish fucking dog shit and the absolute worst thing that ever happened to wrestling. He (lead by Vince of course) killed wrestling with no hope of recovery. Half of my posts on this forum is me bashing this motherfucker and explaining how much of a cancer he was and still is. Just fuck him.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts