Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
This is by far the most valid answer.

Honestly. I don’t see how ANYONE can sit here and say that John Cena era is better then The Rock’s unless you are a new fan from 2005 or a blind Rock hater which I do see several in this thread cause it’s the same ones who just bash The Rock cause they don’t find him entertaining. Now let’s put all favoritism and biasness aside for this.

When The Rock was on top, even though he was the biggest star in the company, the ENTIRE show didn’t evolve around him 99% of the time, it did not, he was the main story but there were other storylines that was going on other then him. There was other big angles that were going on that sometimes connected to The Rock’s. Also The Rock matches of outcome were very unpredictable whether he was going to win or lose compared to John Cena winning 99% of the time or always coming out on top (especially in 05-07).

You had John Cena just steam rolling through the entire roster where they had to get other stars from different shows just to feed this man with more wins. Do you not see the backlash of that from what happen that is still pretty much going on today? Yes the Cena hate did kind of quiet down a little from 05-07 but that’s not saying much is it? this man still gets mix reactions or heavily booed out of arenas.

That’s why I “LOL” at people who say The Rock was invincible just like other Top Face of the company cause he actually wasn’t it.

Between Hulk Hogan/Austin/Rock/Cena.

Who is easily the target of being the “jobber” of the bunch? Yes The Rock was by far.

Unless you are a Cena mark, blind Rock hater or a new fan, I don’t see how anyone can sit here and say the Cena era was just more enjoyable-especially between 05-07.
Yeah Rock was never made as powerful as Austin I still remember watching the likes of Backlash 2000,Judgement Day 2000 and even fully loaded 2000 not knowing if Rock was going to walk out with the title because of how drastic he was booked when it came to losing and winning matches.

And I agree during 2000 that almost everyone was involved in a program but you have got be blind if you can't admit that the only intresting thing going on during 1998 was the main event scene that is unless you couldn't help yourself and enjoy watching Marc Mero VS Goldust every week.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
What all this nonsense about the matches being better in the 'Cena era' than the attitude era?

2000 to 2001/02 is probably the best time in WWE history in terms of the quality of wrestling on show. 2000 had MOTY candidates at basically every PPV that year. It was an awesome time for quality wrestling.

98-99 was obviously more 'attitude' than wrestling, but the 00-01 were awesome.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
In a 1999 poll the rajahwwf.com site asked who was the more popular star of the 2, and Austin lost the poll. It wasn't even a close match, Austin lost by more than 1,000 votes. Revisionist history will say Austin was always the more popular star of the era, but at the time he wasn't.
That doesn't mean shit. If you put a poll on here about "who's the more popular star" between Cena and Rock,Rock would win by a country mile,but if you did that to the marks in the WWE Universe who are living through this era,then Cena would take the win easily

The same happened back then

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
That doesn't mean shit. If you put a poll on here about "who's the more popular star" between Cena and Rock,Rock would win by a country mile,but if you did that to the marks in the WWE Universe who are living through this era,then Cena would take the win easily

The same happened back then
Of course because they aren't from the same era. Rock/Austin were around at the same time bro, so there was really no difference in who was more popular with marks fans and internet fans when they were babyfaces(duh!). And marks went on there too, there were way more mark fans in '99-'00 than there is now.

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20001022050153/http://rajahwwf.com/wwf/interactive/poll.htm

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
The thing about the rocks era is that their was way to many damn credible stars, it was impossible for him to become overrated and stale. While Cena was becoming the top dog many of those stars started disappearing, which made it that much easier for Cena to become top guy, but that doesn't rule out the fact that Cena works his ass off to stay top guy, either way Attitude Era was beast amongst all eras. And I am pretty sure when some ppl see a crappy ppv from WWE they go and watch a ppv from the past to flush out the crap they watched.

·
Registered
455 Posts
im sorry, i used to watch WWE for the sex and violence in the storylines, and The Rock was a great part of that. the peoples strudel, nuff said. Cena is boring to me cuz they ram him down kids throats so its more family friendly. and you always know whats gonna happen with Cena, he gets beaten down by 20 men and somehow gets up to provide an attitude adjustment to all of them and stand tall at the end (when Miz beat the snot out of him i was grinning from ear to ear). with Rock i can recall several moments where he was left down on the mat selling his beating, ie: the debut episode of SmackDown Triple H vs Rock with HBK as the guest referee, about to deliver the Peoples Elbow, BAM! Sweet Chin Music, entertainment delivered. f*ck PG give me mature ratings anyday, and thats why i watch TNA more

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
You expect me to believe that the era the Rock was in is less enjoyable than Cena's current era. :lmao

In the Rock's era, we had STARS people cared for. There was tag team division. The midcard was stellar. The divas was on top of their game. The storylines were awesome. The belts were meaningful. The crowds would pop even for midcarders.

In the current era, the tag team division is none existence. The crowd sits on its collective asses if your name is not Cena/Orton. The divas division is really Laycool. The Intercontinental and US belts are props. The heels are the only wrestlers, oops, superstars that have character. And Vickie Guerrero is the only person to get real heat next to Cole.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Now I know the thread title is inconspicuous, but what I mean is that I have found that I have enjoyed the past 6 years of WWE when Cena has been the top dog compared to when the Rock was. I know I am probably alone in this but I have enjoyed cena's feuds with edge,jericho,JBL,orton and many others more then when rock was champion. Oh and don't get me wrong 2000 which was the Rock's year is my second favourite year in wrestling. Has anyone else found themselves in the same situation as me?
You absolutely are alone. lol The past 6 years have been crap which is why the rating are down so much. Today the shows are pretty much filled with recaps to kill time instead of actual story lines like they were in the old days. And the story lines were much better in those days. I can barely sit through an episode of raw or smackdown these days without getting bored out of my mind.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts