Wrestling Forum banner

Cena when did he start getting hated?

6910 Views 78 Replies 59 Participants Last post by  TN Punk
hey people just been thinking about the hate Cena gets and i just would like to when it started and why if thats possible. Now i am a Cena fan mainly because i liked him when he started out in the WWE and his first run as WWE champ now ive watched since i was very young but stoped for a while when it all started to go PG because i didnt own sky anymore i still tryed to keep up however i missed out alot of things, now i started watching it again around the time they had that old school wwe thing last year. So id just like to know has Cena done something to get this much hate or has he always been hated and i just never realized?
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,845 Posts
He started getting mixed reactions in 2005. He was put in feuds against Kurt Angle and a clearly heel Chris Jericho but I'd say 20 percent of the audience, mostly the older males, didn't accept that.

Shortly after that there was Marine Cena and about a year and change long title reign. That was the "SuperCena" period from 2006 to 2007. There were times where the guy was getting bloodthirsty heat, just booed out of the building. The height of smark frustration against SuperCena is likely One Night Stand 2006.

· Registered
134 Posts
Summer of 2005, when he feuded with Jericho and later Angle. People seemed to believe that he should drop the title to either guy, but Jericho wanted to leave since he had been off for the past years (he himself admitted in his autobiograby), and Angle didn't made Cena look good. Then the stuff just escalated like crazy until 2007, when he really started to show that he could be a great wrestler.

10,845 Posts
You know how people say "If X Happens, We Riot!" in a tongue in cheek manner?

If Cena went over RVD at ONS there could have been a riot.

He's since went on to go back to earth, was shelved by a legitimate injury for months, and worked plenty of quality matches. Now it seems the only time he really gets bashed is when he delivers one of his terrible promos.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
You know how people say "If X Happens, We Riot!" in a tongue in cheek manner?

If Cena went over RVD at ONS there could have been a riot.

He's since went on to go back to earth, was shelved by a legitimate injury for months, and worked plenty of quality matches. Now it seems the only time he really gets bashed is when he delivers one of his terrible promos.
Did any one else Mark the f**k out when Cena dropped the title at one night stand, I ended spilling my pepsi everywhere.

Also I remember a few times where he was getting booed but the one that sticks out in my head was at Wrestlemania 22 against HHH, The crowd was practically 50/50 and HHH was a heel at the time.

· A superhero that saves your GF from your sex game.
3,910 Posts
If you're looking for a precise night then the night he debuted that pop video "Right Now". That video exposed him to be a wanksta in all ways. You're supposed to be a thug but you got a 3 story house with a football field as a front lawn. Then you had people who you didn't even know in the video with their custom made cars to make it look like you from the streets. Negative, that was his undoing and that very moment was when he started to hear the boos. Then to make matters even worse, you had Jericho come out in the same segment and show a video of himself rocking out to some hardcore shit where he was breaking shit and everything and had the fans going crazy. Looking at that segment you would've never thought Cena was the face and Jericho was the heel.

· Registered
2,040 Posts
Summer of 2005, when he feuded with Jericho and later Angle. People seemed to believe that he should drop the title to either guy, but Jericho wanted to leave since he had been off for the past years (he himself admitted in his autobiograby), and Angle didn't made Cena look good. Then the stuff just escalated like crazy until 2007, when he really started to show that he could be a great wrestler.
:no::no:

10,845 Posts
If you're looking for a precise night then the night he debuted that pop video "Right Now". That video exposed him to be a wanksta in all ways. You're supposed to be a thug but you got a 3 story house with a football field as a front lawn. Then you had people who you didn't even know in the video with their custom made cars to make it look like you from the streets.
I do remember that.Kurt Angle, Jericho and Cryme Tyme really worked that aspect of Cena.

"Tha Doctah Of Thuganomics" was a multimillionaire who lived in a Massachusetts mansion.

· A superhero that saves your GF from your sex game.
3,910 Posts
I do remember that.Kurt Angle, Jericho and Cryme Tyme really worked that aspect of Cena.

"Tha Doctah Of Thuganomics" was a multimillionaire who lived in a Massachusetts mansion.
Nope you're off a little bit. The Doctah of Thuganomics was a kid who had rich parents who neva had to hustle for a thing in his life. He was just a white boy who could freestyle.

10,845 Posts
No.The boos and mixed reactions were happening well before 2007. Watch his match against Triple H at Wrestlemania 22. Triple H was clearly being booked as the heel but he was getting cheered as the hero. Cena was getting booed quite loudly even during his ring entrance.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.