Wrestling Forum banner

Cena vs. The Undertaker is this generations Hogan/Andre???

1133 14
I'm afraid I just don't see it. Cena and Undertaker had matches against one another on free tv as little as what five years ago? There's no way the buildup could be anywhere near as dramatic and the crowd will most certainly not be as into it as they were for Hogan/Andre. I get that it's a big match, one of the few money matches left but am I alone in thinking it's not THAT huge???
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· #HAIRBEAR #TEAMPALE
6,060 Posts
No way. Cena is/never will be as big as Hogan. And Undertaker while much better, mught not be as mainstream as Andre.

It would be huge though. Cena is the only guy I could see beating Taker at Mania.

I feel like this is 100% going to happen. They've made these guys avoid each other for years.

· Premium Member
2,140 Posts
To me it is not because,

Cena is now a well established WWE star and the face of the company for close to a decade, overcomming all the main opponents again and again (Lesnar, HHH, HBK, Undertaker, Batista, Del Rio, Sheamus, Edge etc), while Hogan "only" was the star for 3 years and only wrestled a few main eventers (Piper, Orndorff, Buyndy) and not the second biggest guy (Andre) in the company during that time span.

Andre was teh biggest attraction in wrestling at that time and recognized worldwide.
Undertaker is todays biggest attraction and very recognized globally

· Registered
4,807 Posts
Obviously when this match gets book it wil not have the same transcendence because the company is the draw now not the talent, they don't need Undertaker to establish Cena as the "REAL DEAL of mainstream wrestling" becuz he already is; Hogan needed that real challenge to legitimize his title reign and André (undefeated on his WWWF career) was that.

When WWE finally books this match it will be only to gain a few more bucks, not to legitimaze their biggest babyface (and the compnay in the process).

· Registered
4,582 Posts
I'm afraid I just don't see it. Cena and Undertaker had matches against one another on free tv as little as what five years ago? There's no way the buildup could be anywhere near as dramatic and the crowd will most certainly not be as into it as they were for Hogan/Andre. I get that it's a big match, one of the few money matches left but am I alone in thinking it's not THAT huge???
I don't understand your thread.

It's like if I were to make a thread titled: "Dolph Ziggler's had a better career than HBK?" - and then go on to post saying "I just don't see it. HBK is the better career".

If you don't see it, why even make a thread? As everyone else has posted, no. Cena/Taker isn't anything like Andre/Hogan. You apparently don't even think so, so why make a thread discussing this?

I don't get it

· The Winds of Change
5,629 Posts
It's not as big as Hogan/Andre and shouldn't be looked at in that light, however it is the biggest match WWE can put on right now...shame we're not going to get it until Taker ROLLIN around the ring in a wheel chair.

· Registered
4,582 Posts
It's not as big as Hogan/Andre and shouldn't be looked at in that light, however it is the biggest match WWE can put on right now...shame we're not going to get it until Taker ROLLIN around the ring in a wheel chair.
I dunno that it's the biggest match WWE can put on right now. I'd stipulate that there are a few other possibilities that are just as big. Here are a few examples, with some more likely than others:

Punk vs Cena for WWE title at Wrestlemania (shades of Rock/Austin WMX7)

Punk vs Bryan for WWE title at WM (heel punk vs Face bryan with proper storyline build)

Punk vs Austin

Brock Lesnar vs Rock'

Cena vs Austin

HBK vs Rock

HBK vs HHH vs Taker at WM for streak/retirement match stipulation

I know from the above list, HBK/Austin are retired and unlikely to wrestle again. But I believe in both cases, with the right circumstances/offer, it's still at least a possibility they could do another match, which is why i listed them.

· Registered
5,034 Posts
No I don't see it as such. When Hogan beat Andre, he had been the top dog for a few years but became the undisputed #1 guy when he beat Andre. If the Cena Vs Taker mega match had happened in 2007 with Cena winning, then it would've been like it, but honestly, Cena Vs HHH back in 2006 was more of a modern day Hogan/Andre than Cena/Taker would be.

· Registered
101 Posts
I think it's impossible even for the WWE to believably bill it as such... And these is the company that believes its own hype at times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.